Bohemian Rhapsody movie - Final Trailer

I believe the Sacha Baron Cohen thing was that he wanted to make the movie about Freddie's hidden parties etc. while he wasn't really interested in the Queen story. I'm sure we all agree with Sacha looks more like Freddie but Rami is a way better actor and I think Sacha could've even ruined the movie, I mean has he ever played a serious character? After all he is known to have made dozens of gay jokes in the past while Freddie is a gay icon, so I'm not sure how that would've worked out. We'll never know.

I do agree a little bit with @Rex that is was kind of a bummer to later on find out that the real story was changed to make the movie story more powerful. Spoiler alert! Like f.ex. Freddie found out that he had aids after the Live Aid concert and they had actually been touring before the Live Aid but they kind of made it the grande finale in the movie by charging a bunch of emotion to that Live Aid performance by making it special by changing some facts. Still it doesn't change the fact that the movie was very good and powerful and I do kind of understand why they would change the story to give the movie a natural story flow.

You see the problem. Your six-plus "only real takeaway" items are going to be different from somebody else's. And I guarantee that many will take away bits of "history" that never really happened.

Fair point, but I would counter that if anyone goes to a movie, any movie, expecting be have a 100% accurate account of history they are going to be disappointed.

I mean heck, even movies of pure fiction and fantasy, often based off books, don’t explicitly follow the book 99% of the time.

Movies need to be profitable, they need to appeal to a wide range of audiences, and they need to generate good word of mouth to bring in more audiences.

Let’s put it this way, would we have this thread, and fellow members encouraging everyone to see it, if instead of the “Queen story”, it was a gritty Freddie Mercury story, full of substance abuse, homosexuality, and ultimate physical toll of aids?

Maybe that would be a near accurate autobiographical story, maybe it would win awards, but would many people want to see it ?

I wouldn’t honestly. I know his story, I know how it ends, and I wouldn’t reallly want to spend $16.99 for a ticket to be depressed for 2 hours.

Instead, I’d rather spend my ticket money on an overall positive movie showcasing the music of Queen, where I walked out of the theater in a good mood, with a little sadness over Mercury’s final years, but an overall positive take on what a remarkable artist achieved in their live, along with the rest of the band.

It’s either slightly out of historical context Live Aid performance finale or 30 minutes of watching a man die from AIDS complications ?

Which would sell more tickets ?

Yeah, in general I feel like these days sometimes we are looking for things to get annoyed over. I very rarely give or get recommendations for movies or music anymore. Everyone is afraid to say something nice about something and bashing is way easier... you come off as someone with "better taste". The sad part is that you end up in a lot of negativity when you're just looking for things to criticize. This is why I'm trying to start a new trend and try to see the positive side in things.

As an example, this movie although not historically accurate, is still one of the best movies of the year.

Yeah, in general I feel like these days sometimes we are looking for things to get annoyed over. I very rarely give or get recommendations for movies or music anymore. Everyone is afraid to say something nice about something and bashing is way easier... you come off as someone with "better taste". The sad part is that you end up in a lot of negativity when you're just looking for things to criticize. This is why I'm trying to start a new trend and try to see the positive side in things.

As an example, this movie although not historically accurate, is still one of the best movies of the year.
amen to that

Fair point, but I would counter that if anyone goes to a movie, any movie, expecting be have a 100% accurate account of history they are going to be disappointed.
They won’t be disappointed, because it won’t even occur to them that what they saw might have been fabricated. “Wow. I didn’t realize that Freddie Mercury’s diagnosis brought the band back together so they could do Live Aid.” It didn’t. They’d already been back together for a year, and the diagnosis came two years later. But 20 years from now, the movie version of “the truth” is the one that people will “know.”

They won’t be disappointed, because it won’t even occur to them that what they saw might have been fabricated. “Wow. I didn’t realize that Freddie Mercury’s diagnosis brought the band back together so they could do Live Aid.” It didn’t. They’d already been back together for a year, and the diagnosis came two years later. But 20 years from now, the movie version of “the truth” is the one that people will “know.”
Puts some relativity to human history, no? ^^

Reactions: Rex

In fairness, the band, and Mercury, agreed to do Live Aid before his diagnosis and his telling the band that information in the movie, so while technically out of order, it wasn’t quite as inaccurate as your post suggested.

I think many would agree it was one of their best performances, and the movie essentially played that up, the rousing finale to the film.

Again, a movie is a movie, even those that claim “based on a true story”.

“Tombstone” is one of my all time favorite movies, but I certainly don’t think everything that happened in the movie was 100% accurate to the life of Wyatt Earp. Very enjoyable film though.

I mean come on, where do we draw a line? Are you also worried that future generations are going to accept that Abraham Lincoln battles vampires as historical fact because a movie/book said he did ?

As the goes “it’s a movie man....”

Didn't think I needed to start another thread... :)

The original poster of the video, said 'rehearsing' because he's not quite sure if this is the actual recording of the song for the album, but it could very well be.

I don't believe that any real recording session of that era was ever caught on film. It's more likely some sort of made up making-of rockumentary stuff so fans believe to have some sort of glimpse behind the curtain.

I mean come on, where do we draw a line? Are you also worried that future generations are going to accept that Abraham Lincoln battles vampires as historical fact because a movie/book said he did ?

As the goes “it’s a movie man....”

Of course Lincoln fought vampires. How else can you explain their absence.

Of course Lincoln fought vampires. How else can you explain their absence.

....another great movie , lol.

I’ve watched the Queen documentaries. Close enough for the purpose of telling a story IMO. I do believe the surviving members of the band were involved in making the movie. - That’s good enough for me. Epic film.

This gets easier as one gets older. I’m in my 40s, and I’m past the point where I care what other people like. I’m more like: if you like anything at all, that’s great, tell me about it. I try to distance myself from negative people.

Back
Top Bottom