cost effective speakers

blamp30

hey guys, new to the whole AX8 thing... looking for speakers that are not too expensive (less than $400) but that deliver good clarity and quality. if anyones able to provide links too that would be mad helpful. rock on, thanks guys \m/

How much volume do you need (is this for playing at home? Or for gigging or jamming out?), and do you want mono or stereo?

I have a pair of Behringer Truth B2030A monitors and really like how they sound. The AX8 sounds great through them and creating presets translate well to live FOH situations. I've had them for about 10 years and have had no issues whatsoever.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...truth-b2030a-6.75-inch-powered-studio-monitor

If I were looking for a budget friendly FRFR solution, this would be what I would purchase:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...GcfPX3cyMqBkOr1o4x3PRj1IwUiE-QjkaAr5VEALw_wcB

Thanks for that! Are you able to clarify the difference a monitor and an FRFR. Thanks again:)

If it's for playing at home, I would get some good quality studio monitors, especially if you play music through your computer. You'll hear things much better through good studio monitors and they are a great way to amplify the AX8, too. I use Adams A3s (about $500 for the pair) and a small Mackie mixer ($100). There are less expensive solutions. Behringer's quality seems to be improving recently so the suggestion above might be a good one. I haven't heard them.

Thanks for that! Are you able to clarify the difference a monitor and an FRFR. Thanks again:)
Monitors in this sense are powered speakers, typically 100-200 watts, also called "studio monitors" that usually have a 5"-8" woofer with a 3/4"-1.25" tweeter. They are flat response speakers which means they do not add any bass or high-end to the sound they reproduce like Boss or iHome type speakers.

"FRFR" stands for Full-Range, Flat-Response. Again, they do not typically add any bottom or high end to the sound they reproduce and are basically PA speakers designed and marketed in a way that tries to appeal to modeler users. Some FRFR's have features like EQ settings that can enhance and help shape the modeler's tone and provide more versatility than just a PA speaker. They usually have 8"-15" woofers and 1.25"-4" tweeters. They also have a higher power rating, up to 2000 watts or more.

The most common FRFR sizes for modelers are 10" and 12" with seemingly a majority believing the 10" suits guitar tones a bit better (easier to control the bottom end). Which one suits your needs depends upon how you plan to use the AX8. If you're used to playing an amp and cab in a music room or studio, an FRFR may provide more of the visceral "amp in the room" feel some find lacking when it comes to modelers. Once an understanding that a modeler reproduces a recorded tone and there's no expectation of it sounding exactly like having an amp next to you, it makes it much easier to enjoy using studio monitors or even headphones while playing.

If it's for playing at home, I would get some good quality studio monitors, especially if you play music through your computer. You'll hear things much better through good studio monitors and they are a great way to amplify the AX8, too. I use Adams A3s (about $500 for the pair) and a small Mackie mixer ($100). There are less expensive solutions. Behringer's quality seems to be improving recently so the suggestion above might be a good one. I haven't heard them.
Regarding the Behringer's, I was completely taken by surprise by them. I originally had a pair of Event TR 8's and one died on me. I bought the Behringers as a cheap solution until I could afford to get some "better" monitors. After using them, they gave me pretty much the same sound I got from the Events. Were the Events better? Of course, but not as nearly much as I expected. As I said, it's been about 10 years and I have found no reason to get anything else.

I would start with the cheapest and see what works:

Monoprice studio speakers
Anything from Behringer
Alto PA speakers
EV ZLX PA speakers
The new Celestion F12-X200 and a small power amp

I a little too much "Red Green" making do with whats laying around, but awhile back we were rearranging everything in our house, I setup an old Sony surround sound in my back bedroom.

I mostly listen to youtube and music to play along with, I thought my AX8 sounded just fine with me in the middle.

You can get some fluid FX8s for under $500, and those are killer for the price. I got mine from Thommen in Europe because even with shipping, and duty they were cheaper than any Canadian store. The US prices on them are pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom