Changing the Ethernet port to an Ethercon

Alan Jack

.....is it possible to do this on an Axe FX II?

The ethernet port has failed on my unit and as I have bought this secondhand I'm unable for whatever reason to have G66.eu talk to me. They want the original owner etc so they can look up the unit in their system.

Anyway....can I change the port over or have the work done? Has anyone else changed the ethernet port for an ethercon?

Thanks

No. There is not room enough on the mainboard for the ethercon plug.
It is possible on the MFC but not on the Axe-Fx II.

Get a short Ethernet cable, then a pass thru style eithernet/ethercon jack, Mount it in a rack case and plug your ethercon cable into it, you’ve got an ethercon jack now

I personally ran mine to the front of my rack case

Keep in mind ethercon is just Ethernet, with a metal sleeve around it.

You can make any Ethernet cable into ethercon with a little adapter that mounts the metal sleeve

Only real difference is the metal sleeve locks in better than the little plastic tab on a plain Ethernet cable

Thanks folks. Unfortunately the ethernet port has failed and no longer works. I'm guessing I will just have to replace it like for like.

I'm currently having to use a MIDI cable and 9v to power my MFC, I would like to move back to the CAT5 cable

Last edited:
Thanks folks. Unfortunately the ethernet port has failed and no longer works. I'm guessing I will just have to replace it like for like.

I'm currently having ti use a MIDI cable and 9v to power my MFC, I would like to move back to the CAT5 cable
It's possible that the electronics connected to the port are damaged. One of the "problems" with the original Axe-Fx units was people would accidentally insert a USB plug into that port and short the power which would let the smoke out.

Later units have a resetable fuse to protect against this.

Get a short Ethernet cable, then a pass thru style eithernet/ethercon jack, Mount it in a rack case and plug your ethercon cable into it, you’ve got an ethercon jack now

I personally ran mine to the front of my rack case

This ^
I did this for years and it worked great

So I opened up the case today to check if the unit has a fuse protecting the ethernet port.

This is how it looks

45663985_281947232428590_422927740329525248_n.jpg

Fried.....but repairable? You input is welcome.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom