808 Clean Boost Without Mid Hump?

B:ASSMASTER

Experienced
How could I set up a filter block (or something else) to get the benefits of setting the 808 as a clean boost (drive 0, level 10) without having that trademark mid hump associated with the 808?

I like how the 808 tightens up low-end of a high gain amp and gooses the input.

Why can't ya kill some of that with the 808 mid knob? Too much though and I feel like it looses most it's body doing it that way

If you want a flat boost, just use the default Boost in the Amp block.

Also, you could try the Micro Boost or RCB or one of the other boosts available in the drive block.

Why can't ya kill some of that with the 808 mid knob? Too much though and I feel like it looses most it's body doing it that way
I could, but it's finding the freq that the 808 is boosting and then lowering it to flat. Actually harder that it sounds because you have to get Q, freq and dB's correct...but still.

If you want a flat boost, just use the default Boost in the Amp block.

Also, you could try the Micro Boost or RCB or one of the other boosts available in the drive block.
Never crossed my mind about the boost in the amp block. Gonna check the wiki to see what it does actually.

I could try the Micro or the RCB and just change their low cut to match the 808's (which I think is somewhere around 700 Hz).

Never crossed my mind about the boost in the amp block. Gonna check the wiki to see what it does actually.

I could try the Micro or the RCB and just change their low cut to match the 808's (which I think is somewhere around 700 Hz).
Yeah... I think it's low 700 and high 800.

I tend to use the BB Pre as a clean boost nowadays. Just feels a bit smoother and fatter, it might be what you're after. FAS Boost is another good one (much more powerful though, careful with the Level control)

Otherwise, you could try engaging both "Cut" and "Boost" in the Amp Block.

“Tighten the low end”...
Reduce bass knob on amp, and add in post-gain bass if necessary.

Colorless boost: just use a peq or filter on the input, or in the amp block use the input trim up to 2-4 or higher. No drive pedal needed for that. With PEQ up front, you can explore micro-sculpting the tone too.

For clean but that’s tighter, PEQ does work well. Lower the lowest band with the shelving filter or blocking filter and turn up level to compensate. Sweep around the frequencies to find the ones you prefer to cut. A slight upper mid bump can help with clarity.

I also like using the FET preamp since it’s extremely clean and uncoloured with Drive at 0, but you can add in some light clipping if you want. When I use it, I go to the EQ and set the Bass to 0 (-12db I think), then turn up the Low Cut Frequency to get to the desired tightness. Compensate for bass loss by turning up bass in the amp block.

If you want it to be less transparent and more ‘tubescreamer,’ the Eternal Love boost is less honky, brighter, and tighter than the 808 models. Less volume on tap though so you may need to turn up drive or something to compensate.

External real tubescreamer pedals also work well with the axe FX. I kinda prefer a real boost to the 808 models.

Tightening low end doesn't always mean cut the low end.

Agreed... but it’s a question of gain staging for the low end. More bass before preamp or power amp and you get more loose and flubby. Dial down early in chain, and add it back later to make it tight and crisp. You can still have as much bass as you want- making it “tight” to me means reducing the distortion on the bass part of the signal.

Have you tried the 808 Mod? I feel like it gives the benefits of the 808 but without that horrible nasally mid-spike. I never use the regular 808 anymore unless I need that particular spike for a given sound.

Just run the axe with a white noise synth block feeding the drive block into a DAW session with an RTA plugin. Then adjust filter block settings to get rid of the hump

External real tubescreamer pedals also work well with the axe FX. I kinda prefer a real boost to the 808 models.
Thinking of maybe buying a physical pedal. I wonder how a Klon type pedal would work for boosting and tightening for metal. Like the Tumnus or Archer pedals.

Reactions: H13
Back
Top Bottom