Another female rocker - Just so many

Stratman68

Axe-Master
[Moderator note: This thread has been heavily moderated, so some posts may seem a bit out of context due to missing content that inspired it. Please keep this thread on topic.]

--
Yes I know. This is like 5 years old but this girl is quite good-Some of her 2018 vids I watched reminded me of Janis Joplin singing. Good player and writes most of what she does now, from England maybe?
I had that amp. I believe it's the MM 65-210. Damn, loved that amp.
I just liked this old video with 3 piece group.
She is a better player these days I think...
Probably not the best example of her playing but it's the whole package I thought was cool

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a newer one..2017.Girl has natural talent IMHO. Nice solo at about 3:10.....Simple, expressive and tasteful....Plays and sings Mostly her own stuff

Last edited:
Just watched this on YouTube. Great cover and awesome tone:

She also has a promo to get her album for free. It felt a little bait and switch as the shipping was $8 but I ordered anyway. Interested to hear the rest of it.

So are there like.... ANY ladies on this forum?! It’s about time Fractal endorses some rock ladies...

I think Fractal endorsing someone just becasue of their gender, race, et al., in a hollow attempt to appear “pc”, or “inclusive”, would be a huge step backward for female musicians, essentially suggesting that they aren’t judged on their talent, but just because of their gender.

If your a great player and you use Fractal, awesome, doesn’t matter what your gender is.

The fact that 99% of the time, it doesn’t come up on this forum, is progress in my book. The fact that someone can post a clip, share a patch, ask a question, and we simply respond to them is a good thing.

I don’t need to know anyone’s gender, or age, or weight etc to interact here, and those things shouldn’t make myself or anyone treat someone differently. Sad reality is often that if someone is known to be a female, they get treated different on music, video game, etc forums. Sometimes worse, sometimes better, but different all the same.

A musician is a musician. There aren’t “musicians” and “female musicians”, anymore than we need to say “male musician”.

I think Fractal endorsing someone just becasue of their gender, race, et al., in a hollow attempt to appear “pc”, or “inclusive”, would be a huge step backward for female musicians, essentially suggesting that they aren’t judged on their talent, but just because of their gender.

If your a great player and you use Fractal, awesome, doesn’t matter what your gender is.

The fact that 99% of the time, it doesn’t come up on this forum, is progress in my book. The fact that someone can post a clip, share a patch, ask a question, and we simply respond to them is a good thing.

I don’t need to know anyone’s gender, or age, or weight etc to interact here, and those things shouldn’t make myself or anyone treat someone differently. Sad reality is often that if someone is known to be a female, they get treated different on music, video game, etc forums. Sometimes worse, sometimes better, but different all the same.

A musician is a musician. There aren’t “musicians” and “female musicians”, anymore than we need to say “male musician”.

I agree 100%, hence my post #3....

I've always had the impression that women prefer singing, in rock or pop, far more then being instrumentalists. That's just my opinion, and I think nowadays its made worse because rock is disappearing fast from popular music. Single artists, vocalists usually, but also people playing music from their iPod's (still refusing to call them artists), men or women, it doesn't matter, seems to be be where its at these days. How many rock bands have there been on all the various talent shows? It seems to be all about singers nowadays. Which I reckon means that even less ladies are inclined to pick up the guitar.

Which is a shame if you ask me. Everyone should be encouraged to pick up this amazing instrument and I welcome anyone willing to pick it up.

I've always had the impression that women prefer singing, in rock or pop, far more then being instrumentalists. That's just my opinion, and I think nowadays its made worse because rock is disappearing fast from popular music. Single artists, vocalists usually, but also people playing music from their iPod's (still refusing to call them artists), men or women, it doesn't matter, seems to be be where its at these days. How many rock bands have there been on all the various talent shows? It seems to be all about singers nowadays. Which I reckon means that even less ladies are inclined to pick up the guitar.

Which is a shame if you ask me. Everyone should be encouraged to pick up this amazing instrument and I welcome anyone willing to pick it up.

Apparently 50% of new guitarists are female

Agree, I get bombarded with PC at work, drives me nuts. I treat people as I find them even if their way of living is totally different to mine. I accept people on who they are but mainly how they are towards me
Certainly 99% of the musos I deal with are the same, that's why muso websites officially or unofficially dont bring up pc issues, and these websites are all the better for it, like an oasis of calm!

I read an article recently, and the number is huge... And do you know why?

Taylor Swift...

She is the Beatles or Hendrix or KISS of the current generation as far as inspiring people to pick up the instrument.

But she only plays rhythm guitar. Not exactly the new Alexandra Van Halen.

Still, new guitar players is always good in my book, regardless of why they picked up the instrument.

She should feel honored then, for very few rhythm guitarists inspire much of a following. It's usually the flashy gits playing leads who get the girls.

I see more female guitar players than I have ever seen in my life. More importantly, I have seen more "skilled"female guitar players than ever. I know this will be VERY UNPOPULAR but I wish more would realize their is much more to guitar playing than shredding................NOT knocking shredding, just being honest about how I feel.........

She should feel honored then, for very few rhythm guitarists inspire much of a following. It's usually the flashy gits playing leads who get the girls.

I'd wager that the majority of guitar fans (male and female) don't recognize the difference between rhythm and lead guitar playing. Hell, a good chunk of them don't know the difference between a guitar and a bass. The flashy gits are getting the girls because they're flashy...not because they play single notes as opposed to chords.

If someone is inspired to start playing after seeing a star just strumming along to a song, I see that as a good thing. Whether that person eventually starts playing lead is immaterial, IMO.

There are plenty of great female guitarists that are recognized in the industry and commercially. Nancy Wilson, Bonnie Raitt, Orianthi, Jennifer Batten, Armatrading just off the top of my head.

It is a good point about Taylor Swift. Regardless of whether you like her (I do, but most of the cute pop songs she wrote as a tot), she's out there inspiring young women to pick up a guitar.

And not sure that men are qualified to speak about it knowingly. We have grown up with male guitarists, so the concept of identifying with them was never a question...it just was. Women would have to look a little bit to find female role models.

Not so much now. YouTube is RIFE with young female guitarists shredding, playing tasteful blues, etc. A good thing. On the right path there.

Nothing wrong with playing rhythm or strumming a guitar.

Growing up I knew way more people who wanted to get an acoustic, learn some Jack Johnson or Sublime songs, sit on the beach playing guitar, getting girls etc, than I did guys who wanted to be EVH, Slash etc, sitting around practicing leads for hours each day in the basement.

Whatever one likes is fine and good, but it’s not much fun playing leads by yourself, and it’s hard to find a band and all that.

Play some chords and be able to sing ? People actually like listening to it, call it “music”, get YouTube views etc

Audience for listening to someone “shred”? Much much less.

I’m kinda sucky at both, but I’d rather be a good rhythm player who could sing, than just a side who can shred

To get a little back on topic - I recently have seen a few lessons online with Lindsay Ell. I will start by saying, I am by no means a country music fan - quite the opposite. But reading her approach to playing slide guitar, something I have been struggling with, opened up a whole new approach to me. Which made me want to seek out more of her lessons. Found a rig rundown with her - she knows exactly how to get her tone and technical aspects of what every piece of equipment in the chain does. She is a very impressive player as well. I will say that between her and Nita Strauss, I use what I have learned from them on an everyday basis. They are both class acts an amazing players.

Back
Top Bottom