Calling ML Sound Lab

Pwrmac7600

Power User
@ML SOUND LAB
Couldn't really find an existing thread to put this in, so I thought I would just shout it out loud, and wait for you to find it. lol
I noticed when you do your Marshall cabs you tend to just stick with mostly greenback variants in them.
Any plans on doing a V30 and T75 pack in a Marshall 1960 style cab?
Reason I specifically ask is because I like to blend from the same cab, so a H75 blended with a V30 but from the same cab shoot. or a V30 and a T75, but again from the same cab shoot.
I know you have a metric ton of V30 material out there, but it is mostly in Mesa or the like cabs. Was really hoping for something loaded into a Marshall cab. I dig the tone of their cabs...

Hey @Pwrmac7600 and thank you for the questions. I think the T75 is the only one that I haven't done yet. The Marshall "Vintage" which is the Marshall V30 is the key ingredient to this pack: https://shop.fractalaudio.com/ML_Impulses_for_Destruction_p/fas-801-0051.htm All the other speakers that Marshall essentially uses can be found in the big bundle: https://shop.fractalaudio.com/ML_Brit_UltraRes_Cab_Pack_Bundle_p/fas-801-0045.htm

The thing with T75s is kind of a small secret but why not tell it here since this is a public place where everyone can see it. :p There have been cases where I've planned a good "idea" in my head that just ended up being IR's that were mediocre. Making a Cab Pack the way I do it takes quite a bit of time so if I notice that some cabs are not good I will stop the process pretty early on. On that list is a big 1x12 collection, 2x12 collection (I only shot the Orange and Mesa for Cab Pack 23 since they were the only ones that were really good) and yes, Marshall 4x12 cabs with H100s, K100s and T75s. HOWEVER, I don't think that T75s are bad, but it's just hard to find the right era. Those silverback ones from the 80s are usually really muffled by now and actually the 1982 4x12 cab w. Rola™ Celestion™ G12-80 was really close to that sound if you're interested in that sound. It's also in that Marshall bundle.

I guess the good news is that I've been collecting cabs and speakers especially for the past year or so (hence not many packs out this year) and.... drum roll... I have "the best era T75s" in my collection. They're the ones that were made around the same time as the best V30s were made... the ones with the dark label on the back. Not the silverback ones and not the black and white ones that they are now. I haven't made plans for them yet but you never know. I kind of rolled out the best of the best speakers that I have for the ML Legends pack.

I know that guitar slang terms like "Greenback" seems to lead to people thinking that all Greenbacks have a specific sound. I'll honestly tell you that the ML Legends pack is the closest sounding pack to those original 70w V30s that I rave about. They're really good and sound nothing like the "Greenbacks" that people think of when talking about Greenbacks. :)

I have "the best era T75s" in my collection. They're the ones that were made around the same time as the best V30s were made... the ones with the dark label on the back. Not the silverback ones and not the black and white ones that they are now.

Interesting. I never realized there was a dark label version. I have the ones with the all white label that were in the 80's Jubilee cabinets. I'm guessing that's what you are referring to as the silver back speakers? I have the 2x12 Jubilee cabinet. It's the only cabinet I kept. I shot some IRs of it a while ago with a pair of Scumbacks in it. But I've been wanting to revisit it with the T75's. If there was a practical way of getting it to you, I'd love to see what you thought of the cab and what kind of sound you could get from it. But alas, Milwaukee is nowhere near you by any stretch of the imagination.

Hey @Pwrmac7600 and thank you for the questions. I think the T75 is the only one that I haven't done yet. The Marshall "Vintage" which is the Marshall V30 is the key ingredient to this pack: https://shop.fractalaudio.com/ML_Impulses_for_Destruction_p/fas-801-0051.htm All the other speakers that Marshall essentially uses can be found in the big bundle: https://shop.fractalaudio.com/ML_Brit_UltraRes_Cab_Pack_Bundle_p/fas-801-0045.htm

The thing with T75s is kind of a small secret but why not tell it here since this is a public place where everyone can see it. :p There have been cases where I've planned a good "idea" in my head that just ended up being IR's that were mediocre. Making a Cab Pack the way I do it takes quite a bit of time so if I notice that some cabs are not good I will stop the process pretty early on. On that list is a big 1x12 collection, 2x12 collection (I only shot the Orange and Mesa for Cab Pack 23 since they were the only ones that were really good) and yes, Marshall 4x12 cabs with H100s, K100s and T75s. HOWEVER, I don't think that T75s are bad, but it's just hard to find the right era. Those silverback ones from the 80s are usually really muffled by now and actually the 1982 4x12 cab w. Rola™ Celestion™ G12-80 was really close to that sound if you're interested in that sound. It's also in that Marshall bundle.

I guess the good news is that I've been collecting cabs and speakers especially for the past year or so (hence not many packs out this year) and.... drum roll... I have "the best era T75s" in my collection. They're the ones that were made around the same time as the best V30s were made... the ones with the dark label on the back. Not the silverback ones and not the black and white ones that they are now. I haven't made plans for them yet but you never know. I kind of rolled out the best of the best speakers that I have for the ML Legends pack.

I know that guitar slang terms like "Greenback" seems to lead to people thinking that all Greenbacks have a specific sound. I'll honestly tell you that the ML Legends pack is the closest sounding pack to those original 70w V30s that I rave about. They're really good and sound nothing like the "Greenbacks" that people think of when talking about Greenbacks. :)
I did pick up the ml legends pack and I am loving it. Didn't realize the speaker in the impulses for destruction pack was a v30. Now I will have to pick that one up. Hoping you can find the time and desire to do a Marshall cab listed with t75's, I have been holding it for a while for someone to give me v30's and t75's loaded in the same cab for blending. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Interesting. I never realized there was a dark label version. I have the ones with the all white label that were in the 80's Jubilee cabinets. I'm guessing that's what you are referring to as the silver back speakers? I have the 2x12 Jubilee cabinet. It's the only cabinet I kept. I shot some IRs of it a while ago with a pair of Scumbacks in it. But I've been wanting to revisit it with the T75's. If there was a practical way of getting it to you, I'd love to see what you thought of the cab and what kind of sound you could get from it. But alas, Milwaukee is nowhere near you by any stretch of the imagination.
I wouldn't say that one of the T75s are "bad" it's just that I want every pack that gets released to be very impressive and I've always kind of had something huge in the works so the T75 hasn't gotten the love it probably deserves. I feel like those "silverback" speakers from the 80s. (G12-65 / G12-80 / G12T75 / G12H100 etc.) vary a lot in sound and most of them have been worn to a point where they've maybe even lost their clarity a little bit. It's weird, might be a part of the design or materials used. This kind of a thing is something I don't experience with f.ex. pre-Rola speakers or most of the 70s speakers. Feels like the 90s was also the golden era for Celestion speakers in many ways, hence most of the best alternative rock was done during that era.

I did pick up the ml legends pack and I am loving it. Didn't realize the speaker in the impulses for destruction pack was a v30. Now I will have to pick that one up. Hoping you can find the time and desire to do a Marshall cab listed with t75's, I have been holding it for a while for someone to give me v30's and t75's loaded in the same cab for blending. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
The V30 thing is a little bit difficult to address since Celestion have made at least 7 different spec versions of speakers all named the "Vintage 30". You can see it on this list: http://www.bygonetones.com/celestion-reference-list.html Just search for "Vintage" and you'll find 7 different T-codes = different design.

The Marshall V30 is simply called "Vintage" and that's the Guns N' Roses speaker. It's got more of and extended bite to it but it's not harsh sounding, I would say it's the stereotypical Slash sound that I fell in love with as a kid. But... don't think that you'll get those speakers if you go buy a Marshall cab with these "Vintage" speakers in it. Once again that's a different design that sounds different. Thinking about this used to give me headaches. :d

A bit of a hijack but... @ML SOUND LAB thx for mentioning G12-65 I think that one is missing in a lot of IR packs from many of the vendors. I just bought the OH cab pack 3 when I saw quite a few in there and for some reason that one has no love in the FAS factory IRs, I think there are 2 or 3 maybe. But I could be wrong and if I am I appologize.

A bit of a hijack but... @ML SOUND LAB thx for mentioning G12-65 I think that one is missing in a lot of IR packs from many of the vendors. I just bought the OH cab pack 3 when I saw quite a few in there and for some reason that one has no love in the FAS factory IRs, I think there are 2 or 3 maybe. But I could be wrong and if I am I appologize.
That speaker is featured in the Suhr Cab Pack that's a part of the USA Combo's bundle: https://shop.fractalaudio.com/ML_Vintage_Combos_UltraRes_Cab_Pack_Bundle_p/fas-801-0047.htm

1. Cab Pack 16: ML Sure Cabs Collection, featuring:
    • ML Sure 65, based on a Suhr™ 2x12 Cabinet loaded with G12-65 Speakers.
    • ML Sure V30, based on a Suhr™ 1x12 Cabinet loaded with an English-made Celestion Vintage 30 Speaker.
    • ML Sure Vet 30, based on a Suhr™ Badger 1x12 Combo with a Warehouse Guitar Speakers™ Veteran 30 Speaker.
Pretty picture:

That's actually one of those speakers where the new reissue sounds better than the old G12-65 would. :) That doesn't usually happen.

Nice timing on that reply.

Is all the above in the $99 pack that is on sale right now?
Hey! The $99 pack is strictly Marshall. This Suhr pack is a part of the "vintage combos" bundle which is $49. It's also got a really nice vintage Vox AC30 collection and a bunch of Fender combos, even Keith Urban's Fender Twin. :)

Back
Top Bottom