Using ANY Midi Controller - COMPLETE NEWBIE HERE

CountOfTuscany

Hi guys, I need some help sorting out a MIDI controller with the AXE FX II XL+

I'm completely new to the world of MIDI, so I dont have a clue how to hook these things up.
There's tonnes of videos showing how to set up the MFC101...however, how would I go about
setting up say the Tech 21 Midi Mouse and Midi Mongoose with the Axe Fx....how do I configure the
controller and set up what it should switch on the Axe Fx....

A little guidance will go a long way for me....any video links or articles will help as well.....

Thank you so much for your time.

Midi mouse just sends program change right? so just hook it up set it to the same midi channel as the axe and you should start changing presets. more advanced pedal boards will allow you to turn individual effects on and off, change scenes, lots of goodies.

Hi,
I have an Axe FX II XL with a Tech 21 nyc Midi Mouse (up/down only) powered by battery.
Both are set on program change 1. But I can't up/down the presets on the Axe. It doesn't work. I'm connected in midi thru.
What's wrong ?

Thank you so much for your help.

Bruno

Any midi pedal should work, changing presets but thats it. Unless you have software and a different prom that comes with it to program individial stomp boxes, etc.

For example: the behringer 1010 without the eureka/uno cant control the stomp box functions but will change presets n such.

Br65...

I think you want to try “midi in” at the back of the axe and make sure the midi channel is set properly. If you are not sure which midi channel is coming from you controller, use omni in the axe fx.

Hi,
I have an Axe FX II XL with a Tech 21 nyc Midi Mouse (up/down only) powered by battery.
Both are set on program change 1. But I can't up/down the presets on the Axe. It doesn't work. I'm connected in midi thru.
What's wrong ?

Thank you so much for your help.

Bruno
I assume you mean midi channel 1?

Connect midi OUT of the midi mouse to the midi IN of the Axe Fx.

For example: the behringer 1010 without the eureka/uno cant control the stomp box functions but will change presets n such.
@unix-guy - thanks for the shout out :)

Yeah, @milleniumking - you don't need the "upgrade" chips. I put that word in quotes because in a way, it almost seems like it cripples the FCB by forcing you into a couple pre-determined schemes. I could be wrong and haven't tried customizing programs with the aftermarket chips. In any case, You can absolutely control individual effects. Hell, you could even have it so that when you toggle the delay on, for instance, the expression pedals now control feedback and delay level.

What the aftermarket chips do, is allow the FCB to have multiple LEDs on at once (as well as implement momentary switching for any number of "hold" functions). So you might have a bank of pedals that correspond to individual effects. However, unless they're set up perfect and sync'd with the preset, they're not exactly giving you real-time information. They're more like pseudo-stomp boxes. There's no reason why you wouldn't set them up to be accurate, but it's not as though the Axe is sending info to the pedal telling you that drive 1 and drive 3 are on, and therefore pedals 6 and 8 are lit up. Anyway, that's getting into the weeds a bit and a bit beyond the scope of this.

But in short, yes, you can control ANY function in the Axe that can be controlled by MIDI with the stock chip. If you need help, just ask. Email me, ask here on the forums, search Google, check the various Fractal groups on FB - we're here to help! I've got several YouTube videos about setting up certain functions on the FCB with the Axe Fx III on YouTube.

I assume you mean midi channel 1?

Connect midi OUT of the midi mouse to the midi IN of the Axe Fx.

Thank you. Yes midi channel 1.
But when I plug in midi IN the midi mouse doesn't turn on.. contrary to thru or out.
In fact my midi mouse has 5 pin same as out and thru but midi IN has 7.
Do you think my Axe could have a problem ?
Bruno

Thank you. Yes midi channel 1.
But when I plug in midi IN the midi mouse doesn't turn on.. contrary to thru or out.
In fact my midi mouse has 5 pin same as out and thru but midi IN has 7.
Do you think my Axe could have a problem ?
Bruno
I'm very confused...

Does the midi mouse require phantom power? Are you using a 7-pin cable?

The Axe Fx can provide phantom power, but that is from the IN port, and only if you've attached a power supply to the phantom jack on the Axe Fx.

Perhaps the Midi mouse supports phantom and is detecting that those pins are wired?

In any case, it's no matter. You are sending midi OUT from the mouse and IN to the Axe Fx and those are the ports you need to use.

If you're using a 7-pin cable try a 5-pin instead.

Edit:

After writing all of that, I just checked the manual. The Midi Mouse supports phantom power over pins 1 + 3:

0B4B9778-D8C6-408A-9A57-AAE6BA7954F1.jpeg

But the Axe Fx uses pins 6/7 for supplying phantom and pins 1 + 3 are used for bidirectional data:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-7-pin-bidirectional-midi-pinout.21547/#post-356116

So, probably the midi mouse won't work unless you use a 3-pin midi cable... Or else, detach the wires on one end from pins 1 and 3.

Thanks so much.
I'm using the 5 pin câble provided with the midi mouse and a 9v alkaline battery.
Bruno

Just to know. Thanx everybody. My matter was the power supply needed. Battery 9v was not enough to power the out/in

Bruno

Back
Top Bottom