Audio Interface

Shaun Attwood

Hi Folks... Received my “III” this week and in the process of finding my way around it.. so my question is
Do you use the onboard Audio Interface or a standalone Audio Interface. I have both options but would like to hear from those of you how you have set your III up
TIA

I use a dedicated interface for most stuff but plug in the III via usb when I want to record it, so yes, sometimes.

I struggle on this topic myself. AXE3 or 6i6 as the main AI.

The reason I struggle with it is software likes to stop responding, and Windows 10 absolutely loves to get confused and decide NO AI will get to make any sounds and I have to start cycling the power on the AIs or bounce the PC itself to finally get sound again. At least this happens a lot for me between the AXE3 and the 6i6. I bet the Apple owners do not experience this.

Seems like it may just be easier on me to dump the 6i6 as I haven't even found a purpose for it.

There are some applications where I use the Axe's built-in interface for Audio but most of the time I use a dedicated stand alone interface. I suppose if you have the unit always connected and always on it is more viable to use it as if it were a dedicated interface.

Hello Shaun;

I use both the AxeFX II and the ESI Maya44 USB+ to create an aggregate device in OSX. This way the physical outputs for channel 3 and four are available to my DAW as well.

Here's how I've got it setup:
  1. AxeFX III goes into Elektron Overhub USB Hub
  2. Outs for channel 3 and 4 from the back of the AxeFX III go into the inputs of the ESI Maya44 USB+
  3. The outs of the ESI Maya44 USB+ go into the inputs of channel 3 and 4 on the back of the AxeFX III
  4. The ESI Maya44 USB+ goes into Elektron Overhub USB Hub too
  5. In OSX, I create an aggregate device of both the AxeFXIII:
    1. Select "Drift Correction" for both the AxeFX III and the Maya44
    2. Set the AxeFX III to be the clock source
  6. In your DAW, select your aggregate device as your I/O interface and configure the 12 channels of audio you now have
Vittorio

Easy and simple:

- Soundcard to DAW if you want to record a microphone.
- Axe-FX III USB to DAW to record both the processed and raw signals
- Axe-FX III Analog-Out to soundcard, only for monitoring (using analog instead of digital offers the convenience to use the volume control at the Axe-FX front panel)
- Soundcard output to studio monitors

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...n-to-rme-fireface-ufx-ii.142411/#post-1703165

If you are not going to record microphone, there is no need for soundcard. Just Axe-FX to DAW.

Axe-FXD-IIi-setup-vsd-Microsoft-Visio.jpg

Option B to record microphone: A microphone preamp with its analog output connected to Axe-FX Input 2 to 4. No need for a soundcard! And you can spend the money of a sound card on a good microphone preamp

Last edited:
Generally speaking you want to use whichever has the best A/D/A converters. Most often that is an audio interface specifically designed for the task at hand (such as the Axe).

@Piing when you are using the Axe-Fx as your soundcard in that setup, how does the playback from the DAW get to your monitors? Is the USB input to the Axe passed through to the analog outs and then through the soundcard?

@Piing when you are using the Axe-Fx as your soundcard in that setup, how does the playback from the DAW get to your monitors? Is the USB input to the Axe passed through to the analog outs and then through the soundcard?

Yes, I monitor the DAW from Axe-FX Analog Out to Soundcard to Monitors.

Ideally, I should use ASIO4ALL to have both soundcards (Axe-FX and Motu) at my DAW, and then use the soundcard for monitoring. But it crashes when I use ASIO4ALL

Yeah, I previously tried using the Axe-FX as a composite audio device with my MOTU soundcard in OSX but I had a lot of problems and it seemed to switch back to 44kHz at times which would kill the audio from the Axe-FX or cause it to be garbled. I switched to using SPDIF into my soundcard which works well for most things but unfortunately doesn't let me also record the dry signal (really wish the Axe had ADAT, but it doesn't..). Your solution seems like a good compromise though it would require switching audio interfaces quite a bit.

I use it as a soundcard from day 1.First i've got some Problems with Win 10 ...AXE stop working after an hour or so...still can play but no sound from DAW,Utube,etc heard in the headdphones,need to reboot AXE...after a new USB cable and FW 1.17 (dont know exactly what it was) it runs smooth for 9-10hours a day ...no Problems so far...^^

Question about the III’s usb/interface limitations...

With the stereo xlr (input 2), does this mean I can record 2 mic channels simultaneously if treat them as separate mono tracks?

How many max input tracks can I run straight thru the AFX3?

I connect mine to a Focusrite 18i20, thru the SPDIF interface. I prefer that because sometimes I use the computer and not the Axe Fx, and for that purpose need the interface.

Back
Top Bottom