Jerry

iaresee

Administrator
Based on a Gear Page thread on Jerry's tone where John Silberman talked about middle pickup on a Strat in to a clean Twin preamp and a ultra-clean, linear power amp to a JBL speaker I decided to try it out in the Axe-Fx II.

John's description of that core Jerry setup was spot, freakin' on. I used Tyler Grund's JBL IR because I couldn't find any other JBL or similar IR out there and it worked remarkably well!

There's a ton of nuance in these AMP block settings settings. Dig in and you get a little edge, hold back and it chimes. Switch to middle + neck or middle + bridge and it quacks and clucks. Jerry was on to something cool here.

The purists, I'm sure, will argue it's not exactly Jerry, and that's not the point. The point is, with a few quick twists and the right IR you're not just in the ballpark, you're on the field and in the game and maybe even pinch hitting.

It's that easy.

You can get the patch here.

You can get the IR here.

And here's a clip of me slaughtering some Dead stuff with the patch

Screen shots for the non-XL people out there:

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 9.12.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 9.12.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 9.12.55 PM.png

Last edited:
Would like to add: recorded that clip with an Adamas 2 mm graphite which, despite my guitar idol Trey being a fan of, I hate. I tried all summer to bond with them and just can't abide the big size. I much prefer Ultex 1.14 and Dunlop Nylon H (the red ones) picks. Mostly playing the Nylon H these days but I'll go Ultex when I want a bit harder attack and a little more edge to things.

I am brand new to Fractal and just got an Ax8 - Do you still have the Jerry patch or any GD related patches? would be appreciated...thx Rob

I am brand new to Fractal and just got an Ax8 - Do you still have the Jerry patch or any GD related patches? would be appreciated...thx Rob
Does the Dropbox link in the post above yours not work anymore? On mobile right now so I can’t check...

Just saw this - checked, and no doesn't work got a 404
Might be lost in the æther then. My Dropbox history doesn't have it as a file I can restore any more. Next time I have my AX8 at home I'll pull it off the unit. Could be a while...

IIRC, another facet to Jerry's tone is cranking the amp's treble (which you do) and then rolling off the tone control on your guitar. (it may be mentioned on one of the later pages in that thread, tldr...). Gives the midrange bite that's a key to his sound.

Thanks but this link doesn’t work for me. It had me set up a “Keeper” account from the app on my phone but still didn’t work. Any way you can send it differently? Thanks so much!!

Back
Top Bottom