Drums..

80sMetalDude

Inspired
Picked up Superior Drummer 3 and Rock Foundry today.... 5 hours of DL waiting :( can't wait to get my hands wet with this stuff!

First I was only interested in EZD2 and then when I saw SD3 was basically a complete redo of SD2 including all the features of EZD2 I was sold!

Drums are prob the part holding me back the most from making my own music (for fun) and I really believe my workflow needs to be Drums > Bass > then Guitar because when I pick up a guitar it's my passion and all I end up doing is continous tangents having no direction and next thing I know I'm just jamming again by myself. Yeah a lot of ideas come along with all that noodling but I really think having the drums/bass first or just drums structured first will help tremendously with staying on point...

Wish me luck!

First gripe... 400GB to download the libraries but then that is not installed 400GB it's just the media to unpack and install so I have (2) 512GB Samsung SSD... so when you consider 400GB + then having to run the install off that, then you need 400GB+ free to fully install on top of freeing up the 400GB for the DL...had to practically wipe both clean just to install LOL.

I think I need to get more HDs.

I was gonna wait for November sales before picking up SD3. I've messed with EZDrummer so I'm pretty confident the groove and song creation tools will get you creating music faster. It's really a pretty friendly interface for non-drummers.

I was gonna wait for November sales before picking up SD3. I've messed with EZDrummer so I'm pretty confident the groove and song creation tools will get you creating music faster. It's really a pretty friendly interface for non-drummers.
Are they known for good sales in Nov? I want the Metal Foundry

Thx. I will be watching that and I was on phone with my Sweetwater sales guy today and he confirmed that Toontrack usually does a 50% in Nov.

I spent about 4 hours in Logic and converted a beat that was close to midi and then making it match what I wanted. It was a learning lesson for sure and tedious for me. I suspect there’s a better process. I ended up tracking half of a song me and some band mates wrote. Played bass, two guitar parts and had the drums. Sent the links out to my buddies and got a ho him response. I was so pissed that they had no idea of what I went thru to get the drums to that point

No point to my story other than I share your sentiment that drums are the only thing stifling my creative genius..lol. Oh yeah....vocals too

Bman totally been there and still get disappointed when family/friends just show no love but stay true to your passion and keep at it!!

I finally got to enjoy it last night. I'm not qualified to give opinions based on my limited exposure to drum software (SD3 all I've ever installed really) so I am easily impressed....but I can tell it's awesome stuff and will tremendously impact my musical creation in a great way.

First gripe... 400GB to download the libraries but then that is not installed 400GB it's just the media to unpack and install so I have (2) 512GB Samsung SSD... so when you consider 400GB + then having to run the install off that, then you need 400GB+ free to fully install on top of freeing up the 400GB for the DL...had to practically wipe both clean just to install LOL.

I think I need to get more HDs.

Normal spinning HDs are fine for SD3. SD3 can't stream from a SSD, so besides a faster initial load time, there is no real advantage, because the samples are loaded into RAM for playback.

I guess I'm guilty of being a gamer that found his way back to music and during the gaming era I learned to turn my nose downward to drives with moving parts... I haven't heard the clicks and ticks of old school HDs in like 4 years...whole house is SSD pretty much now....

So spinning large capacity drives are OK for music production? Sorry this is an area I totally have not thought to shop yet....just naturally assumed SSD or bust...

SSD anyway. No bearings or motors or arms to fail and they always fail eventually. Don't trade away less reliability for no real appreciable gain in any other appreciable category. Instead invest in more, faster memory sticks, however much the OS and mobo can use.

Back
Top Bottom