Problems with volume using Apollo 8

believer

I am running the Axe 3 using XLR to 1/4 from out 1 into the Apollo 8 inputs 5/6. I have out 2 of the Axe 3 into my Atomic Clr Neo. If I try to record into the Apollo 8, I have to crank the monitor knob on the Apollo in order to hear the Axe even though I have it unity gained. I've tried using the 10db or -4db setting on both but end up clipping the Axe and Studio One V4. I am trying to record songs but having to crank the monitor up that loud just to hear the Axe is overwhelming. I can get good sounds out of the Atomic, But need help getting enough volume out of the Apollo without the clipping. Any one else having the same problems?

I have guitar going into front input, and the out 1 knob on front panel is set to noon. I have read and heard that this is where the unity gain setting should be approximately.

I have guitar going into front input, and the out 1 knob on front panel is set to noon. I have read and heard that this is where the unity gain setting should be approximately.
If you aren’t getting enough signal into the next device and you can turn up the Output knob more, turn the knob up more.

I've tried doing that but it seems to distort the signal much more.
much more? or is there distortion that isn't usually there? the signal shouldn't be distorted at all.

inputs 5/6 seem to be Line Level. do you have an Output Knob or something on the Apollo itself? even if everything is "at unity gain" you still have to control the actual output volume.

are you using other gear that is already much louder than the Axe? do you have Input Meters on the Apollo? what are they showing?

Have you considered just recording the Axe via its own USB output?
Is connecting the two via S/PDIF an option?

Last edited:
Just FYI, you posted about the Axe Fx III in the Axe Fx II forum.

Also, unity gain can't be determined based solely on the output knobs. There is a LOT of gain that can be (and is) added by the various blocks - in particular, the Amp block.

I believe that would be unity with NO blocks other than Input and Output.

Yeah, I noticed that after I hit post. Anyway, the levels on the Apollo are fine. It's just that I can't seem to get any descent volume from the Axe into the Apollo without it clipping. If I record a bass line using Omnisphere say at around -6 to -12 db, even if I leave the Axe (5/6) out's at 0 db, it seems that the bass is still overpowering and the levels on the Apollo start to clip. I may try using the Axe as my audio card and see what happen's.

Yeah, I noticed that after I hit post. Anyway, the levels on the Apollo are fine. It's just that I can't seem to get any descent volume from the Axe into the Apollo without it clipping. If I record a bass line using Omnisphere say at around -6 to -12 db, even if I leave the Axe (5/6) out's at 0 db, it seems that the bass is still overpowering and the levels on the Apollo start to clip. I may try using the Axe as my audio card and see what happen's.
that's weird. if the input from the Axe shows 0dB on the Apollo input meters, then it should be that loud.

Back
Top Bottom