FREE - Friedman BE 4x12 Royer R10 IR

Variable

Inspired
Hello fellow IR junkies!

zEuotdv.jpg

I just received my new Royer R10 and I quite like it. So I took some time to shoot a bunch of IRs of my Friedman BE 4x12 cab with Greenbacks on top and V30s on the bottom. This is an awesome cab that sounds good with pretty much everything I throw at it.

Many reviews out there are saying the Royer R10 is a lot like a mix between the SM57 and a Royer 121. I can hear what they're saying, but I think this mic is pretty special all on its own. So far I haven't been able to find a mic position I didn't find likable and usable.

Check out the attached IR below. I'm looking for feedback since I'm new to the IR game... if y'all like what you hear, I'm happy to throw the bucket of IRs I've been shooting (and probably will continue to shoot over the next few days) into an inexpensive (probably $15-20?) cab pack.

The IR below is a straight on shot of the dustcap of one of the Greenbacks in the cab right up at the grill. There is some definite proximity effect thanks to the Royer ribbony goodness. Unlike the 121, though, the bass doesn't get out of control. It sounds nice and chunky.

Here's a demo on Soundcloud. Recorded with my Gibson R8 on one of AustinBuddy's 1959SLP patches (with my cab instead of the default, of course).

I hope you like it!

Cheers,
-Russ

Attachments

• RWL BE 4x12-R10-GB-Cap 0in.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 249
thank you!! i try to give it a shoot tonight,if you going to start making your own irs is good idea to get 10 or 20 irs instead of hundred irs.

thank you!! i try to give it a shoot tonight,if you going to start making your own irs is good idea to get 10 or 20 irs instead of hundred irs.

Yeah, I agree. I would rather sell a pack with a few really great IRs that lend themselves to different mixes and levels of versatility than 1000 IRs that make it a chore to audition. Back when I still bought cab packs, I usually gravitated to the mixes or "recommended" IRs anyway.

What I've been doing so far is keeping it simple: Pick a distance, and then capture the cap, the cap edge, the middle of the cone (my personal favorite most of the time, especially when close-miced), and the cone edge. Move the distance, check the preamp level, rinse and repeat. I can get a lot of captures done quickly that way, and they tend to all be IRs I would want to use (much of this is also the quality of the R10... this really is becoming a desert island mic for me because I've yet to make a bad capture with it). I don't really do off-axis since I'm not a fan of that sound, and I'm making the IRs for me first (I could be persuaded if there is a demand, of course) :)

This method is really easy to track because you can assume the cap IR is the brightest / most cutting while the cone-edge IR is the darkest. That also makes it easy to visually mix since you can throw a cone-edge IR and a cap IR together to get the best of both worlds (sounds huge!).

i just tried your ir and i really liked it,sound pretty good with the amps i tried,like the Friedman,Bogner,Marshall,Soldano,great work buddy.

Doesn't work for me. I go to import the .syx in Axe-Edit, navigate to the folder I keep My IRs, and Axe-Edit just says 0 User Cabs found. I have tried putting it in its own directory but still nothing. All my other IR's show up fine. Using Axe Edit 3.14.3 and Quantum 10.01.

Doesn't work for me. I go to import the .syx in Axe-Edit, navigate to the folder I keep My IRs, and Axe-Edit just says 0 User Cabs found. I have tried putting it in its own directory but still nothing. All my other IR's show up fine. Using Axe Edit 3.14.3 and Quantum 10.01.
you have to convert the ir to the axefx device you are using.

Oh and the cab sounds awesome btw. Nice low end and the highs are present but not super nasal and cutting. I have the hi-cut in the cab block set to 5000hz and it still has this awesome sizzle to it.

Thanks NightWalker for chiming in with the Fractool solution, I was worried for a second there. I should have mentioned I captured these on my Axe 3 :)

I'm glad folks are liking the IR! I ran through another run of this cab last night as I noticed what sounded like phase issues on the more distant captures, and it turns out the two cabs I had in front of the Friedman were reflecting back to the back of the Royer (since it's has a figure 8 polar pattern). Once I moved them everything was happy :) It's not noticeable on the close mic captures like the one posted above, but it was bugging me on the 3" captures I did.

nostragaamus, some of that sizzle may be because this cab's speakers are still breaking in. I happen to like it, and I'm glad you do too! I figure I can always redo the captures after it smooths out to get a different sound.

Is there any interest in different mics for this cab? Honestly, I like the R10 so much that my 57 captures don't do it for me anymore, and I doubt my 609 would do much better either, but I'm certainly open to shooting them.

Last edited:
Shoot the v30? This one is too boomy for me unless I cut at 140. That’s just me though with my setup and my taste. Why not shoot both speakers and go for a mixed ir? That way it’s a turn key ir of your cab. I don’t know anything about shooting ir’s so I always wonder if any high or low cuts get done. I am doing both for the sample ir.

In the pack you can include all the ir’s so folks can mix and match IF they want. I think most folks are mostly looking for immediate cab gratification. My .02.

you welcome buddy,do you have plan to sell the Friedman Irs?

I think so. I want to put some documentation together and give them all a listen before I put anything up for sale (I also have to set up my ecommerce site). I'm a bit anal about those type of things :) My guess is it would be a couple weeks or so if I do. I'm glad you have some interest!

Shoot the v30? This one is too boomy for me unless I cut at 140. That’s just me though with my setup and my taste. Why not shoot both speakers and go for a mixed ir? That way it’s a turn key ir of your cab. I don’t know anything about shooting ir’s so I always wonder if any high or low cuts get done. I am doing both for the sample ir.

In the pack you can include all the ir’s so folks can mix and match IF they want. I think most folks are mostly looking for immediate cab gratification. My .02.

I've got some V30 captures as well, though what you're hearing is the proximity effect of the R10 on the Greenback. My shoots at 1" and 3" of the cap are much less thick.

Everyone shoots IRs differently, which is why there are so many folks with IRs of the same cabs. I personally keep things really simple; I like a good cab, neutral power amp, a good mic, a clean mic pre, and the Axe to capture. I'm not keen on funky mic preamps and like mine to be neutral, as there is a lot of great software (including the preamp models in the Axe) that can emulate the same things more specialized ($$$) preamps can do. I would rather get the most honest capture I can so whoever is using it can mold it however they like since everyone has different tastes.

That said, I will probably use Cab Lab to mix a few blends of the GB and V30 captures. They really do sound great together. I'm just waiting for the Axe 3 support to get finished to make my life easier :)

I think so. I want to put some documentation together and give them all a listen before I put anything up for sale (I also have to set up my ecommerce site). I'm a bit anal about those type of things :) My guess is it would be a couple weeks or so if I do. I'm glad you have some interest!
cool let me know when you start selling your irs.

Friends, I'm planning on setting up this cab pack this weekend on my web store. I'm hoping it will be ready next week. Some of the timing depends on whether or not I MPT the IRs or just offer them RAW (as always, I get to learn something new).

I will keep you posted either way, and I'm excited for my first release! :)

Back
Top Bottom