tc electronic 1210 worth buying or can the axe get close?

Metal1993

Inspired
I have heard several clips of this chorus and I do love it. But they are very very expensive used out there in the world. Is it worth paying the kind of money it would take to get one used or can the axe get close to it?

Close? You won't be able to tell the difference.
I have been in love with the the 1210 ever since i started playing some 28 years ago.i own two of them.i would love to be able to recreate them in the axe fx but i haven't been anle to nail it yet.there is always something missing.Could you please give us a preset or settings or some hint how to set it up?

I've replaced 1210s for several top Fractal Artists. Maybe you are hearing something they weren't.
I'd be happy to create presets for you, but you'd need to send me the unit.

EDIT: Looking back on my blocks from one of the sessions I alluded to above (the Lifeson rig) we did the chorus and expander pieces, but never migrated the Flanger. I don't remember why but it must have been time. I am confident I could nail this too however. The Axe-Fx III Flanger is leagues farther on than was that in the II back in 2012!

Last edited:
Gotta be a blast to get a chance to play with all those toys though :)

Though once you realize you can recreate 99% of them in the Axe the lustre probably wears off a bit lol

I know when I finally had money and bought a lot of stuff I always pinned for in my teen years it wasn’t nearly as cool as I expected and often my Axe II sounded better

AXE FX put the kabosh on my pedal building that's for sure.

It ironically started mine. I came to realize a certain fuzz sound etc, I wanted was due to a transistor getting voltage starved or having a certain hfe et al, and I couldn’t find parameters to account for those things, but realized that I could socked a transistor and try some different ones til I got the tone I was after, often a sound so bad it’s good lol

Will say the Axe replaced 95% of my typical pedals though

The list of vintage items that get mailed to me and then mailed back to their owners would make your eyes pop.
I'll take the Pepsi Challenge! I bet that list would make for great Fractal lore.

Edit: Actually, what you and Cliff have been doing is the basis of a really interesting book regarding the advancement of digital.

I've replaced 1210s for several top Fractal Artists. Maybe you are hearing something they weren't.
I'd be happy to create presets for you, but you'd need to send me the unit.

EDIT: Looking back on my blocks from one of the sessions I alluded to above (the Lifeson rig) we did the chorus and expander pieces, but never migrated the Flanger. I don't remember why but it must have been time. I am confident I could nail this too however. The Axe-Fx III Flanger is leagues farther on than was that in the II back in 2012!

So could you you post one preset to give us a start? Which chorus should we use out of the list that you for chorus are in the axe, analog stero, or 4 voice or 8 voice or what? I am sure you could post a preset that would not violate an artists exact specification s. It would be great to use the axe instead of buying a 1210, but I cant get there with out your help nor has the person who already has one, so any help you could give would be great.

I mean you'd need to send the 1210, silly, not the Fractal! I don't share work that's been done specifically for an artist. It would need to be done from scratch.
I am in europe so sending my unit overseas and back is not really an option(and to be honest being a difficultly serviced very old unit i an really afraid to ship it).personally i am mostly interested in the spatial enhancement part of the 1210.like petrucci uses it on the heavy crunch parts where it widens the sound and creates some notches in the eq curve.

So could you you post one preset to give us a start? Which chorus should we use out of the list that you for chorus are in the axe, analog stero, or 4 voice or 8 voice or what? I am sure you could post a preset that would not violate an artists exact specification s. It would be great to use the axe instead of buying a 1210, but I cant get there with out your help nor has the person who already has one, so any help you could give would be great.
Being that the 1210 has two chorus engines working together(usually the most frequently used feature of it) think about using two choruses in parallel or two modulated delays( like 12 to 24 ms).if you go with the delays attach the delay times to the two internal lfos and set them for a -4/+4 ms sweep.also mixing different delay types and using just a little diffusion on one of them will give u some interesting results.

AXE FX put the kabosh on my pedal building that's for sure.

Yup. It killed my pedal building too. Once you realize that no new pedal that you're going to build will make it into your rig anymore, what's the point in building anything new anymore?

Freed up a lot of cash for other things though. :D

Replicating Alex Lifeson tones for the Rush Tribute I'm involved with and having no problems with resources available in the III.

Back
Top Bottom