Personal Studio Setup Confusion/Guidance Needed

80sMetalDude

Inspired
I'm looking for a little guidance with a couple things and I'm sure this stuff is all obvious stuff for most of you.

1) Best way to easily switch between using my ASM12 and Yamaha HS8 for monitoring the AXE3.

2) How would you use/connect the below if you had this setup?

Current setup:
Windows 10 PC

AXE3 Out1 (L/R) XLR to both ASM12 XLR Input
AXE3 USB to PC

6i6 out 1/4" out to both HS8 XLR Input
6i6 USB to PC

Should I go straight from AXE3 Out2 to the 2nd avail input on HS8? Right now the XLR inputs are used so I'd prob need XLR to 1/4 balanced cables...

Or

Should I connect AXE3 Out2 XLR to some 1/4" 6i6 inputs?

Thanks in advance!

I have pretty much the same set up as you, Asm12 and the HS7 monitors. I think i remember reading in the Yamaha manual that you can't use both the 1/4 and xlr inputs at the same time. I just checked the manual online, only 1 at a time. I just hook up my asm to output 2 (xlr) and the 2 hs7's to output 1 (L and R) in the III. Of course usb from the III to my desktop. I haven't recorded yet, but plan to this weekend. I ran my Ax8 into a focusrite interface and that worked fine as well.

The Mackie unit is great, or there are a ton of little 3-4 channel mixers. I’ve got a Behringer that was like $59 or so, works great and makes it easy to control the level of pc audio, my Axe etc all going into one pair of monitors

A monitor switcher like that Mackie is probably what you want. Sweetwater's website has a whole category for them, so you can take a look there and see which one you like.

As far as connecting the Axe-FX, I would use the SPDIF in and out to the 6i6. If you don't need more than 2 tracks that works pretty well and in my opinion is more convenient than trying to juggle or combine two audio interfaces in the computer.

A monitor switcher like that Mackie is probably what you want. Sweetwater's website has a whole category for them, so you can take a look there and see which one you like.

As far as connecting the Axe-FX, I would use the SPDIF in and out to the 6i6. If you don't need more than 2 tracks that works pretty well and in my opinion is more convenient than trying to juggle or combine two audio interfaces in the computer.

+1

@Everyone I truly appreciate the responses.

@Kamil Kisiel you definitely expanded on one major confusion pain point regarding juggling AI with SPDIF. That's a major item I need to research. I've been battling the DAWs having wrong AI selected then switch, no sound or OS punks out or whatnot whatever pain item pick your own... if SPDIF solves that I will be very happy.

It definitely helped for me. I used to use an aggregate device between the AxeFX and my MOTU card but I would occasionally get glitches or sample rate issues or have to reset my card. Since I switched to using the SPDIF interface I’ve had no issues at all, it’s just another pair of inputs on my interface. The only thing I miss is being able to record the dry tracks for reamping later, but in honesty I rarely used that so it’s not a major loss. I can always use the Axe standalone over USB if I feel the need for it in a session.

whilst using spdif, I just use a spare out from the Axe to a spare input on my interface to record dry track simultaneously.
That’s a good idea. Actually my axe sits right in front of my patch bay so that would be really easy to hook up. Still not used to the multitude of output options on the III :)

Ended up ordering the Mackie Big Knob today. Going to have to undo my massive forest of zip ties and redo a bunch of cables as well as had to order the missing cables I needed... actually took a while to wrap my head around what to buy.

For ASM12/AXE3:
AXE3 out1 xlr female > 1/4 for Mackie Input 1

Replace the XLR cables I'm using now from AXE (XLR female to XLR male) that go out to ASM-12s instead will be 1/4 to XLR male from Mackie output 1

For HS8/6i6:
6i6 out1/2 1/4 to 1/4 balanced for Mackie Input 2
Already can use the same 1/4 > XLR mail going to HS8 from Mackie Output 2

I hope that's all correct!

I hope to control the volume levels of both ASM12s (which I generally have at level6 each) with the one knob while keeping the out level high enough from AXE3 to good recording levels and at same time flip flop between the sets of monitors :)

Back
Top Bottom