Intonation and which tuner you use?

The cool thing about Peterson is it shows you the cents sharp or flat numerically. This makes it easy to gauge how much you need to move the saddle. Turbo tuner is great but if you only need a tuner for intonation the Peterson app is the way to go IMO. You have the Axe tuner for day to day tuning.

I just intonated three 7 strings after setting them up for drop a with 9-46’s and a 65. Super easy with the Peterson app. Took me about 15 mins each.

LIke I posted. I have the Peterson App-Windows app, I am not into phone apps at all. In win 10 pro the petereson app will NOT recognize any input I try to use. Like my Echo Layla 3G, the on board realtek line input. Message says it cannot open the audio device? I am believing now it is a win 10 thing. I tried comparability mode etc. Sucks

898E39B5-E633-44AF-A580-3F9D764F9418.jpeg
Just curious how knowing the number of cents is any different than the "tick" marks on the Axe Fx tuner or the Boss needle tuner?

All indicate a relative value below or above pitch... Am I missing something?

No difference. Just ease of use IMO. They are in tenths and it just makes it super easy when intonating because you can see the cents numerically. I know the guitar is an imperfect instrument but...I like to be as precise as I can and the Peterson screen works for me.

I also love the 4 independent strobes. So easy to tune this way.

Last edited:
LIke I posted. I have the Peterson App-Windows app, I am not into phone apps at all. In win 10 pro the petereson app will NOT recognize any input I try to use. Like my Echo Layla 3G, the on board realtek line input. Message says it cannot open the audio device? I am believing now it is a win 10 thing. I tried comparability mode etc. Sucks

Sorry to hear that dude! I can’t speak for the Windows one. I have the IOS app and it works great.

Sorry to hear that dude! I can’t speak for the Windows one. I have the IOS app and it works great.

I emailed them the other day because of an activation issue and they got back to me the next day. So I emailded them about my PC issue and hopefully they will have an answer for me. I'm in a home studio so since I already own the windows deluxe app and it will be powered by a nice 8 gen i7 I have high hopes for it.
I will look in to the android app-I do have a pretty powerful android phone LG6 with a nice screen.

View attachment 50013

No difference. Just ease of use IMO. They are in tenths and it just makes it super easy when intonating because you can see the cents numerically. I know the guitar is an imperfect instrument but...I like to be as precise as I can and the Peterson screen works for me.

I also love the 4 independent strobes. So easy to tune this way.

If I was a professional guitar tech, I would most likely be using a Peterson Tuner. The TT is really-great for quickly and accurately tuning a guitar, but, for the really fastidious stuff, I don't think much out there beats a Peterson strobe tuner.

When I acquired the TurboTuner, it was between that, and a Peterson stomp model. Back then, the TT was just smaller and fit better on my board, that was all it came down to. Size.

But for setting intonation. For real visual accuracy. I would go with a Peterson. Its just a better tool for the job IMO.

Reactions: MSS
Well Peterson does noy t have ab n answer so I just have to assume it is a win 10 thing. Oh well
Thanks to all for the m,any suggestions and info. Greatly appreciated.

So I finally got my Softstrobe Deluxe version 2 running on my new PC. Had to re install 2X actually. But at least it works. Now to get use to the strobe again...........Also, supposedly works as a vst which is pretty cool. A separate little app is needed which I have but haven't installed yet.

This has ben a very informative thread and you folks are great.

While I'm recording I sometimes use IrcamLab 'The Snail' on my iMac for a quick check. Very accurate and very interesting.

I just intonated three 7 strings after setting them up for drop a with 9-46’s and a 65.
@MSS Sorry for derailing. How does it go with that 65 string? Do you feel it's necessary string tension wise? I have sevens with 25 1/2 in Drop A and use a set with a 62. I talked to Andy James at the JPGU, he brought his new Kiesel which has 25 1/2 and he was in Drop A too, and he claimed his low is just 56 or 59, I forgot exactly which. He sounded awesome, you couldn't tell his A was flubby.

@MSS Sorry for derailing. How does it go with that 65 string? Do you feel it's necessary string tension wise? I have sevens with 25 1/2 in Drop A and use a set with a 62. I talked to Andy James at the JPGU, he brought his new Kiesel which has 25 1/2 and he was in Drop A too, and he claimed his low is just 56 or 59, I forgot exactly which. He sounded awesome, you couldn't tell his A was flubby.

Yes. It was a change I made for string tension and tuning stability. It feels fine and I don’t notice any difference as compared to the 60 in b standard. I originally had a 60 in there and it would go sharp when riffing in drop a. I tried a 64 and ended up with a dr strings ddt 65. My process was to vary pick attack and watch the tuner for stability. I have switched to a dr ddt string on the bass side 6th or 7th string for all my drop tuned guitars.

Additionally, I currently have one guitar in drop c and one in drop A#. Below are those string sets. I have String Compulsive Disorder lol. I will be using custom sets going forward for these but this is what is on there now. It mimics the feel of a 10-46 set tension wise.

EDIT: I should mention the scale is 25.5 on all 6 and 7 strings.
Jackson drop c
EXL 116 set 11,14,18
dr ddt 26,36, 56

Jackson Drop A#
EXL 148 set 12, 16, 20
EXL 117 set 32, 42
dd ddt 65

Last edited:
I am glad I got my Peterson
Strobsoft Deluxe to work on my PC. I do have to mess with it because it is very jittery. But I haven't messed with the input sensitivity or anything yet.

I use my DAW REAPER with their included ReaTune plugin. I really like the display and my guitars always seem to sound the best when tuned and intonated with it.

I've used many different tuners, including strobe tuners but no matter how perfect I get the intonation, it doesn't stay perfect for very long. I live in Rochester, NY where the weather and humidity are never stable and we sometimes experience all 4 season in a day, so anything made out of wood, like doors, windows and guitars change throughout each day. A good example is 3 days ago it was almost 90 degrees and today it's in the 40's. Bass guitars are even worse. I can't set low string action bc the next day I might get too much buzzing.

Before setting intonation, I always adjust the truss rod first. When I set my intonation, I always play 4 chromatic notes up to the 12th fret and check it and then play 4 chromatic notes down to the 12th fret, so it simulates my actual fretting pressure bc I have a tendency to press harder when playing. I also check the intonation on the 1-4 frets bc they tend to be sharp on most guitars, so I'll compensate the intonation and find a happy medium between the 1-4 and 12th fret, so my intonation is decent throughout the neck and not just the 12th fret. I find this helps when recording with multiple guitars and basses, so they're all relatively intonated with each other.

@GotMetalBoy thx for that tip I just donated my $60 last week to get Reaper going to try that out.

Up til now I used a Peterson Strobe (clip on, laugh at me but its pretty accurate for what I do) or the AXE3 strobe.

So what is so good about the turbo tuner mentioned earlier?

Back
Top Bottom