FAS activity detected?

I spent all day Sunday a couple of weekends ago in the crater of a supervolcano. (13+ miles across, it's been dormant for tens of thousands of years.) I suspect New England will be OK for the next million years or so, lol.

Valles Caldera

Typical click bait stuff from Fox News. If you read down:

"So the massive magma build-up must be a relatively recent event.
But, in the timescale of Earth’s geological processes, this still means tens of millions of years.
“It will likely take millions of years for the upwelling to get where it’s going,” Professor Levin explains. “The next step is to try to understand how exactly it’s happening.”

Science journalism is the worst. It's not just Fox. They all do that.

The only thing that would have made it more Foxy would be to blame it on libtard cucks. :D

The worst science journalism is when it isn't even journalism anymore. You get some idiot staff writer and have them write crappy blog posts about peer reviewed articles in Nature or Science. You can usually tell these because the 'headlines' say things like

"OMG You Guys, This Spider Is Totally Cute"

The people doing the work are too busy to do their own hype and the people that are doing the writing are like dogs watching TV. They don't know what they're looking at. It's science-adjacent and written by 8th grade girls for 8th grade girls. That's how things get blown way out of proportion.

Last edited:
Without veering perilously close to forum prohibited commentary...you're not wrong. End of that.

But it is a tough time for writers who are trying to convey things completely out of their, (and their readers) intellectual zone, while keeping it engaging. The bottom line in the internet age is that people don't want more than a paragraph on a subject to call themselves 'learned'. Simple truth is that people want a statement that they call the 'truth', and move on.

Point in fact: You read an outrageous tweet about <insert random pop star>, and you retweet WITHOUT doing any simple research to find out whether it's true (varying reports, independent viewpoints, and a little thing I call facts). But...Boom, it's viral. Never mind that it was all bull pucky to start out with.

</rant over>

Harder science I've had good luck with phys.org.

So much I could say...so many pet peeves addressed here... Gah! Stop me! Okay, I'm stopped. Carry on...

I'm going to recycle your 'Like dogs watching TV' line - Love it!
Thanks
Pauly

Science journalism is the worst. It's not just Fox. They all do that.

The only thing that would have made it more Foxy would be to blame it on libtard cucks. :D

The worst science journalism is when it isn't even journalism anymore. You get some idiot staff writer and have them write crappy blog posts about peer reviewed articles in Nature or Science. You can usually tell these because the 'headlines' say things like

"OMG You Guys, This Spider Is Totally Cute"

The people doing the work are too busy to do their own hype and the people that are doing the writing are like dogs watching TV. They don't know what they're looking at. It's science-adjacent and written by 8th grade girls for 8th grade girls. That's how things get blown way out of proportion.

Back
Top Bottom