Anyone using Austin Buddy presets live?

Is there any sample of some free preset from Austin?
There aren’t any samples, but they are totally worth the money if you’re considering them. I’ve only had them a few days, but they have taken all of the guesswork out of creating a patch. All you have to do is drop in your effects, and you’re done. I used them live on Saturday, and they sounded great. They sat very well in the mix too. I definitely recommend them!

I love being able to pick an amp, add my preferred effects and have peace of mind it will transfer well to FOH without having to mess with it too much. More time to practice :)

Can I simply drop his amp blocks into my existing presets or would it be better to add my effects to his presets if they are not already there?

You could do either, but I'd grab amp and cab block if you're doing it that way - also the drives are somewhat tweaked per amp

Another question: does anyone who uses Austin’s presets have any issue with the high gain presets being a little lost in the mix because they’re too compressed? Or, are they EQ’d so that the high gain presets cut through?

Another question: does anyone who uses Austin’s presets have any issue with the high gain presets being a little lost in the mix because they’re too compressed? Or, are they EQ’d so that the high gain presets cut through?
I used both a 5153 and a Mark IV live on Saturday. They sounded amazing.

I love my ax8, but I have to say something honestly.

Why a product that cost 1400€ in Europe does apparently need an extra purchase from someone who's spent the effort to create good presets to use it live?

I mean... I will probably end up buying AB's solution, but... Why is this necessary? Could it not be done by Fractal to provide a better product? What am I missing?

I have, and it saved me tons of time. When I got the AX8 about a month ago, my plan was to get rid of my massive stage pedal rig ASAP. That retired rig was waaay to heavy for me. If I had a set of touring roadies, I wouldn't mind. When I got the AX8, I just needed to get a few patches up and going as quickly as possible that had my sound all ready to go. I did this knowing that I'd learn how they are created so that I can make my own and better taylor it to what I think they should sound like. I ended up grabbing Austin Buddy's naked amps, and also Moke's patches. I loved the one of Moke's JCM patch and the one with the Hammond. It was practical for my gig and sound at the time and totally saved me a lot of time. I didn't get anything out of how they were created, but I will eventual y go back and review them. I have really been getting a lot of the naked amps, I use a couple of those live each week with little modification on my part. I'm not afraid to go and tweak, even though I'm a guy who brings guitar, cable and plugs into amp and go. Finding free time to do all the other stuff, is really limited. In my teens, early 20's, I had a lot of time! LOL!

Why a product that cost 1400€ in Europe does apparently need an extra purchase from someone who's spent the effort to create good presets to use it live?

I mean... I will probably end up buying AB's solution, but... Why is this necessary? Could it not be done by Fractal to provide a better product? What am I missing?
it isn’t necessary, many have used stock presets live or took time to craft their own, but it is the nature of silicon based hardware (which essentially what AX8 is, a purpose built computer), to be upgradable via software created by other smart people , which may be what you are missing. (Gee, my new PlayStation is cool , think I will buy no games for it....) There has been much grousing over the years over the growth of third
Party additions , but the real truth is , cab packs , Fracpad/tool , and @austinbuddy ’s as well as @Moke s , @fremen s and presets bymany others have created a a fertile and most useful commercial ecosystem here.
IMHO

Personally I usually have to cut the bass and add some mids. They don't really cut through a mix in my three guitar band at all by default, but with some slight modifications they sound great.

Personally I usually have to cut the bass and add some mids. They don't really cut through a mix in my three guitar band at all by default, but with some slight modifications they sound great.
Thanks. My band is a 4 piece with guitar and keys. I usually have no issues cutting through but some of the high gain presets don’t cut as well without some tweaking.

it isn’t necessary, many have used stock presets live or took time to craft their own, but it is the nature of silicon based hardware (which essentially what AX8 is, a purpose built computer), to be upgradable via software created by other smart people , which may be what you are missing. (Gee, my new PlayStation is cool , think I will buy no games for it....) There has been much grousing over the years over the growth of third
Party additions , but the real truth is , cab packs , Fracpad/tool , and @austinbuddy ’s as well as @Moke s , @fremen s and presets bymany others have created a a fertile and most useful commercial ecosystem here.
IMHO
I totally agree. The third party products and this forum have greatly expanded the capabilities of Fractal products. You certainly don’t NEED any of them to get great useable tones but having so many different options to explore other tones, etc. makes this a really incredible musical tool.

Im a bit discouraged to spend $99 for 1000+ presets, when im only gonna use 3 or 4 of them. If there was a smaller bundle I may be interested.

Not necessary at all, Fractal has provided a great product. There is very little tweaking that needs to be done from the default settings of any of the amps I've used. They are like any amp, no single setup is going to work for everyone, you need to adjust to what you like to hear. How in depth you want to go in the parameters is entirely up to you.

There are plenty of resources on the forum, especially the Tech Notes in the News and Announcements section, and on Axe Fx Wiki that provide any information you'll need to get the most out of any Fractal product. There are explanations of parameters and features, amp and cab guides and charts offering suggested cabs for each amp. The factory presets are among the best of any modeler I've heard or used and the amps and cabs from them can be used as a base tone for presets as well.

Some people want to skip the preset building phase or don't want to take the time to learn and want instant "gratification" so they buy presets. Nothing wrong with it but to say that the AX8 won't sound good unless you buy them is simply incorrect. The inability to get a good tone out of the AX8 is completely on the user.

Back
Top Bottom