Intonation and which tuner you use?

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Very curious to see what most of you folks use to set the intonation on your guitars.
I have used many different ones. Presently using polytune clip on and my ears. I do keep the axe8 tuner on also when I do this.
I have the software version of Strobe tuner. Works OK.

Thanks folks

I'm using the Axe Fx III now. Prior to that, the Axe Fx II. When neither are up and running, I have an old Korg GT-1 tuner I'll use. It's an analog tuner with a needle. I've just always used a tuner with a needle, so that's what I'm most comfortable using. I've been wanting to try a strobe tuner. I have the software version as well, but I've never given it a proper try yet. I remember using a strobe tuner back in the High School band days when I played clarinet and saxophone, but I've never used one with a guitar.

I'm using the Axe Fx III now. Prior to that, the Axe Fx II. When neither are up and running, I have an old Korg GT-1 tuner I'll use. It's an analog tuner with a needle. I've just always used a tuner with a needle, so that's what I'm most comfortable using. I've been wanting to try a strobe tuner. I have the software version as well, but I've never given it a proper try yet. I remember using a strobe tuner back in the High School band days when I played clarinet and saxophone, but I've never used one with a guitar.

Hey fro
I always had trouble getting a good signal into the Strobesoft Deluxe version. which is what I have. I do need to give it another shot. I miss my Boss tuner (needle tuner like you mentioned.

Peterson tuner with plug in cable running on my ipad. Best 23 bucks I ever spent. Sold my strobostomp.

Another Turbo Tuner user here. I had used a Strobostomp for years and is a good tuner as well but the TT seems to be more sensitive, allowing for 'better', more accurate results.

IStroboSoft on my phone and iPad, huge display, very accurate and customizable.

Mostly just the FAS tuner for day to day or a cheap clip on Snark

Turbo tuner is the only tuner in the world as far as I’m concerned. But intonation I do by ear. Tune up with the TT, intonate with my ears.

OK, Figured I should try the Strobesoft Tuner software I have. It's newest version, Deluxe Version 2.01. Keep getting device cannot be opened. Tried my daw interface and daw software shows signal in and out of guitar is strong. Tried the line in on the motherboard realtek audio. Same result. Very discouraging.

I have the old rackmount Korg DTR-1. It has a general setting I use for stage, and a fine tuning setting I use for set up or recording. Best of all, for stage use it has the moving red eye. If someone wanders onto the stage, I just say, "Gort, nicktoo barada...kill" and they flee.

Another for TurboTuner, best tuner I have ever owned - though I have a handful of Korg TM50's that I keep all over the place - as you just never know when you are gonna need to quickly lay your hands on a tuner. ...at work for example ...I have one in my office. ...in my workshop, gots ones theres too! :D

Peterson VS-1 strobe tuner. Set the harmonics in Equal mode then tune in Guitar mode.

The cool thing about Peterson is it shows you the cents sharp or flat numerically. This makes it easy to gauge how much you need to move the saddle. Turbo tuner is great but if you only need a tuner for intonation the Peterson app is the way to go IMO. You have the Axe tuner for day to day tuning.

I just intonated three 7 strings after setting them up for drop a with 9-46’s and a 65. Super easy with the Peterson app. Took me about 15 mins each.

The cool thing about Peterson is it shows you the cents sharp or flat numerically. This makes it easy to gauge how much you need to move the saddle. Turbo tuner is great but if you only need a tuner for intonation the Peterson app is the way to go IMO. You have the Axe tuner for day to day tuning.

I just intonated three 7 strings after setting them up for drop a with 9-46’s and a 65. Super easy with the Peterson app. Took me about 15 mins each.
Just curious how knowing the number of cents is any different than the "tick" marks on the Axe Fx tuner or the Boss needle tuner?

All indicate a relative value below or above pitch... Am I missing something?

Back
Top Bottom