Anyone using Austin Buddy presets live?

southbeck

I´ve bought my Axe8 almost a year ago. Been tweaking my head of and trying diffrent settings, amps and so on. Trying them out at gigs and then going home and do some adjustments. Fun! But it also takes a lot of time.
So yesterday I bought the Austin Buddy presets. Man! Why didn´t I do that from the start. It´s like getting a new Ax8 almost. They sound great! And it´s so easy trying out diffrent amps without having to do anything, trying cabs, settings and so on.

They sound great in the studio but I´m wondering if anyone have tried them live?
Usually I put the high cut in the cab block to 8000khz. But the Austin presets seem to be set at 10k and up. That work great in a recording but maybe sound too bright live?
Will not be able to try myself in a Pa before next gig so maybe someone have some experience?
Thanks!

I've found the AustinBuddy presets to be FAR superior to anything I created from scratch and I have used many presets live. Bought them for both the AX8 and AxeFx III.

My only tweaks have been to roll off some bass (on some) and add my own delays and reverbs. The best compliment on my sound I ever got came when I played an AustinBuddy DirtyShirley preset with those exact tweaks.

YMMV but I've been extremely happy.

Been very happy live with AustinBuddy presets for over a year now. For my specific guitar and FRFR setup (JP15 and CLR) I have to back off bass a little bit but they are very useful and work well in a live situation. Never had an issue with too bright on any of the presets (again could be my setup).

I usually add in wah, reverb, delay on most. Also comp and trem on clean presets.

Are these patches suitable for a guy going Stereo XLR to house and 1/4 inch to tube amp/cabinet, connected to the FX LOOP power amp only input ?

Are these patches suitable for a guy going Stereo XLR to house and 1/4 inch to tube amp/cabinet, connected to the FX LOOP power amp only input ?

I always run mono but the presets are set up to work with that set up by default. All the presets have out 1 set to send to FOH (with cabinet modeling), and out 2 to a amp/cab (without cab modeling).

Do you guys find yourselves having to reduce the bass on a lot of them? I bought the pack last night, and I haven’t had a ton of time to mess around with them. Some of them do sound a bit bass heavy to me, even at gig volume.

I´ve bought my Axe8 almost a year ago. Been tweaking my head of and trying diffrent settings, amps and so on. Trying them out at gigs and then going home and do some adjustments. Fun! But it also takes a lot of time.
So yesterday I bought the Austin Buddy presets. Man! Why didn´t I do that from the start. It´s like getting a new Ax8 almost. They sound great! And it´s so easy trying out diffrent amps without having to do anything, trying cabs, settings and so on.

They sound great in the studio but I´m wondering if anyone have tried them live?
Usually I put the high cut in the cab block to 8000khz. But the Austin presets seem to be set at 10k and up. That work great in a recording but maybe sound too bright live?
Will not be able to try myself in a Pa before next gig so maybe someone have some experience?
Thanks!
Which ones did you buy? He seems to have a lot of stuff on offer? i play standard strat , gretsch white falcon, les paul ( not so much ) and am into floyd, neil young, classic rock, 80's pop etc ...

Thanks to this thread I remembered that I had purchased the naked amps pack and used it this weekend while I was tweaking and making presets at the studio, at 90+ db like AB recommends.
I grabbed his Badger 30 clean and learned my lesson. Just start with his configured naked amps and then build my preset. LOL.
BTW the Badgers are becoming my favorite amps. Great even tone.

Do they ever go on sale?

I'm not sure about sale, but to me they are worth it.
Great starting point for any preset you will build.
I was working on a heavy patch recently, I think it was some sort of Engl. It was "just ok", then I grabbed one of Austin's amps, and poof! Immediately sounded better. I was able to just take that and pick a cab for what I wanted.

Agreed, easily worth every penny IMHO. Great starting points as has been said, and some very cool and useful artist style patches. There's even a little guide with some cool and useful thoughts on drive pedals. This for less than it costs me to take my wife out for dinner.

I'm not a professional musician and have hands on experience with a pretty limited number amps over the years, so having this pack is a great educational tool as well.

I use mostly Austin Buddy patches live. I have 45-50 presets I use live that are song specific revolving around 7-8 amps. I like to either drop the pedals into the amp patch or drop the amp into a preset some else created. I use mostly a low output pickup Strat so you have a lot of high gain amps that don't mesh as well. Go through each amp take your time, you will find amps dialed in that fit your guitar. Sometimes as a beginner you will find Drive, compression, filter, EQ, blocks in patches don't make good sounds with your guitar. Start backwards with the amp pack.

Back
Top Bottom