Boutique Fenders?

H13

Inspired
YO.

So I'm pretty solidly a Marshall kinda guy. However, there are times where a mid scoopy, spanky Fender sorta sound is gonna suit the song better. So I'd like to explore the Fenders and see if I can find one that I...y'know.

Actually like.

I've tried all the basic Fender models and my general response is: "Meh. It's a guitar sound"

My favourite version of the Marshall is the Dumble HRM. Is there a Dumble HRF? Or another sort of sweet and fancy boutiquey Fender I can play with?

Or is there a particular Fender that you would recommend to a Marshall guy? I'm looking for clean here more than dirty, plus I've got enough dirt and fuzz boxes to get the filth I want out of a clean amp.

You've confused me. First, I wouldn't consider a Dumble to be Marshall variant - not from the design or sound aspects - at all.

Second, weren't the early Marshalls Bassman variants? So, by definintion, wouldn't a JTM45 fit your request?

Finally, IMHO, the Fender Concert with a 4x10 cab is killer from clean to distorted. Extremely versatile, but... it's a guitar sound.

For something slightly dirty, and that sounds awesome with Filtertrons, try the 50's Tweed Deluxe and match it up with small single speaker cab, even a 1x8.

You've confused me. First, I wouldn't consider a Dumble to be Marshall variant - not from the design or sound aspects - at all.

The HRM stands for "Hot Rodded Marshall" so, I assumed that was his take on a Marshall?

Second, weren't the early Marshalls Bassman variants? So, by definintion, wouldn't a JTM45 fit your request?

Yeah, except that still definitely sounds like a Marshall to me (which...well it is?)

Finally, IMHO, the Fender Concert with a 4x10 cab is killer from clean to distorted. Extremely versatile, but... it's a guitar sound.

For something slightly dirty, and that sounds awesome with Filtertrons, try the 50's Tweed Deluxe and match it up with small single speaker cab, even a 1x8.

Rightio, I'll give the concert another look.

I've owned the Axe for about 5 years now and right now there's one I CANNOT get away from for cleans and edge of breakup, and that's the Champ, known to us as the 5F8 Tweed. It's sooooo expressive and dynamic and the breakup is just gorgeous. I play a lot of classical and jazz and this amp, for me, just really shines. I was inspired by Julian Lage, check him out if you're not familiar. He uses a tweed Champ live and it's just amazing.

Here's his tune Nocturne:

Cheers!

I've owned the Axe for about 5 years now and right now there's one I CANNOT get away from for cleans and edge of breakup, and that's the Champ, known to us as the 5F8 Tweed. It's sooooo expressive and dynamic and the breakup is just gorgeous. I play a lot of classical and jazz and this amp, for me, just really shines. I was inspired by Julian Lage, check him out if you're not familiar. He uses a tweed Champ live and it's just amazing.

Cheers!

Oh DAMN. That's the sorta noise I want from my Fenders!

I"ve also remembered that my old man has a 1970s Silverface Bassman 100. I enjoyed jamming through that, even though getting it to distort was basically impossible. Is there anything in the AFX that'd do something similar to that?

I consider myself a Marshall fan, too. I really enjoy the Carr Roamer for cleans. I used to own the physical amp. Mine was a 2x10 combo, so I like using 10" IR's from OwnHammer with the Axe's amp model, but it works well with 12" IR's also.

The HRM stands for "Hot Rodded Marshall" so, I assumed that was his take on a Marshall?

Yeah, except that still definitely sounds like a Marshall to me (which...well it is?)

As I understand it the HRM refers specifically to the extra tone control hidden away inside the amp to fine tune the tone of the overdrive. It's inside because Dumble didn't want customers messing with it too much and then calling him up, bugging him to complain that they couldn't get a good tone. I'm not an amp technician, nor do I play one on TV, but I don't believe that the ODS was designed to be a Marshall variant. It doesn't sound like one to me.

Cheers!

That was fantastic, the simple things sometimes just shine.. another little talked about amp that I really like is that Mesa Subway Blues. Straight up simple amp that has that mojo. Thanks for sharing that. Killer stuff

Back
Top Bottom