The MFC-101, XL+, and Marshall JMP-1

I have an FX8 and it was pretty straight forward to get my FX8 to switch presets on my JMP-1 in any order I wanted but using the MF-101 and the XL+ definitely takes more work so any help with this would be highly appreciated :)

I want to be able to change the XL+ presets along with the JMP-1 presets.

I am going to buy the MFC-Edit tomorrow if there isn't an easy way to set this up (I just started working with the MFC-101 MK III today).

I have the MFC-101 MK III connected by midi out to the midi in on the XL+ then midi thru to the midi in on my JMP-1.

The MFC is in preset mode.

When I click on the MFC button #1 then then XL+ preset #1 appears and the JMP-1 preset #00 (it's preset #1).

As I click on each button the presets both increase numerically #1/#00, #2/#01, #3/#02, etc...

I would like to set it up so that when I click on the XL+ preset that the JMP-1 preset of my choosing appears.

I know I can always save each JMP-1 preset to any preset # just like the XL+ so I could do it this way but there must be a different way since I could do it pretty easily with my Ground Control Pro.

I have been reading through the MFC manual today so if any help or direction to specific pages in the manual could be given, then I would appreciate it very much, and thank you ahead of time :)

Honestly, if I'm understanding this correctly, I think the simplest way is to use the MIDI Mapping feature on the JMP-1 as, going by your description, it seems you are happy with the MFC and AxeFX being in sequence with each other with Program Changes and the JMP-1 is the only device you want to use 'out of sequence' Program Changing on.

Using the Mapping on the JMP-1 in this case is much easier and quicker to implement or edit than diving into the MFC's Midi stuff to try and do it from there using separate PCs per switch and separate MIDI Channels per device ..... also no need to copy JMP-1 presets from one place to another - EG your go to crunch patch might be 001 on the JMP-1 so just Map incoming PC xxx (coming from the XL thru or out) to it. Just a few button presses and you can test results in seconds.

I use a JMP-1 in my tube rig (with a MidiMate on the floor to it's Midi In and MIDI rack FX controlled via JMP-1 MIDI Out Program Changes) and use both it's Input Mapping and Output Mapping without any drama.

Out of interest, what way have you your rig routed/cabled (inc Midi routing)?

Hi Maxdown,

Currently, I am going direct into the front of the XL+ with the JMP-1 in the effects loop of the XL+.

I have set it up so I could do the 4CM method when desired like with my FX8 and it was pretty easy and very quick to get it set up the JMP-1 and the FX8 this way but now I am using three pieces of gear (MFC, XL+, and the JMP-1) and they all require different tweaks/settings in them.

Anyways, I go into the front input of the XL+, then left fx send from the XL+ into the front input of the JMP-1, then the left master out from the JMP-1 into the left fx return of the XL+, then I use both of the XLR outs from the XL+ into the left and right inputs of my Marshall EL34 50/50 power amp.

The midi goes from the MFC midi out to the XL+ midi in then from the XL+ mid thru into the JMP-1 midi in.

And thanks, I will try it out later tonight.

Hey Maxdown,

I just tried it using the JMP-1 midi mapping and it worked pretty nicely once I figured out the numbering as well as reminding myself about the number sequence being off by 1 each time for the JMP-1 (starting at 00).

Thanks again :)

Once I get this set up then I'll move onto setting up the XL+ in other modes than "Preset" so I can use scenes, and on/off effects, etc.....

I guess a few more nights of reading manuals and forum posts :)

No probs ..... been there myself so glad to help. I just figured that perhaps like me you'd have less presets created on the JMP-1 to choose from than you'll eventually have on the XL+. I think I've only about 5 or 6 live go to presets on the JMP-1 so it's way easier to map at it's level.

You can get jiggy with the MFC's deeper editing later if needs be .... but also try the JMP-1 modelled amps in the AxeFX .... they are pretty good.
Once I get this set up then I'll move onto setting up the XL+ in other modes than "Preset" so I can use scenes, and on/off effects, etc.....
I think you'll possibly still end up using Preset Mode on the MFC - it's the Bank size setting that matters more. The Bank size set to 5 means your bottom 5 switches change presets for the Bank you are in and your remaining switches are then free for IA use (turning on and off - or to be accurate - bypassing and un-bypassing - FX blocks in the AxeFX preset).

Once you have called up a Bank and Preset you then can engage the Reveal switch on the MFC to turn the bottom 5 switches into Scene selectors for the Preset.

If, at least initially, you aim for that fairly classic set up on the MFC it will let you concentrate on the XL+ ...... which is infinitely more fun to work with .... it makes noise!

Back
Top Bottom