700+ Naked Amps TonePack for AX8 Release

I bought this last month and didn't really get to explore it much. Never really imported presets before so I tried to import everything and it took up my whole AX8. Last night I fired it up and read the instructions, then used the auto-audition function to quickly move through the patches. The ones I like I dragged over into the later banks. My plan is to kind of have these as my baseline of tones that I can use to build some patches around.

What I like about the naked pack is that I don't have to worry about finding the right impulse response or dialing it in or getting the tone stack right or whatever. Just scroll through and decide if I like the tone or not. And there's no additional impulses that I have to manage, so that's very cool.

I'm maybe halfway through the presets and found probably 30 good tones to use as a baseline. Some of them were pretty familiar, like the Friedmans and some Fenders. Some of them I wouldn't have expected. Some amps that I normally like I didn't. And that's fine. There's a wide variety of sounds in the presets and I'm only worried about finding ones that sound good rather than picking an amp and then finding the right cab and trying to dial it in. Just a good starting point.

I'll have to stop back when I've got more time under my belt with expanded thoughts. Hopefully I'll whittle it down to 8-16 presets that I really dig and then build up some effects around them.

Turns out I purchased and downloaded the set the day before it was updated for 10.0, so I had to redownload. I do like this update better as I typically use humbuckers and the levels are a little better. The old ones were jumping around in terms of perceived and peak volumes.

My favorite amps so far are ones I normally like anyway, but I think it's useful to have tweaked versions to find the go-to Plexi for instance, since there are about 50 of them in the Fractal it seems. Or Fenders.

Also helps with that "FOMO" to be able to explore every amp. The time it would take to do that would be crazy, or at least not productive for those of us with day jobs!

Turns out I purchased and downloaded the set the day before it was updated for 10.0, so I had to redownload. I do like this update better as I typically use humbuckers and the levels are a little better. The old ones were jumping around in terms of perceived and peak volumes.

My favorite amps so far are ones I normally like anyway, but I think it's useful to have tweaked versions to find the go-to Plexi for instance, since there are about 50 of them in the Fractal it seems. Or Fenders.

Also helps with that "FOMO" to be able to explore every amp. The time it would take to do that would be crazy, or at least not productive for those of us with day jobs!
One thing about levels jumping around is you will find some amps are VERY sensitive to input dynamics, and others are pretty compressed and output consistently.

For an example of sensitive amps, try the Tweed Princeton or the Shiva Clean. You will see that needle jump all over the place as you hit chords, and depending on single coil or humbuckers. So when I get to those I have to "average" it best I can knowing that if I hit them too hard to set the level, they will sound too low, and vice versa...

The Cleans-Only are more optimized for humbucker in version 10.x. In prior versions, they were dialed in on the neck of telecaster and they need a nice boost -- either raise input trim to 1.5 or add a Micro Boost drive block with gain set between 2.0 and 3.5 and they fatten up nicely.

Enjoy!

Hey AustinBuddy....Did you see any good bands in New Orleans?

I’ll betray my age if I tell all... but in college I used to see The Radiators 2 or 3 times a week, for a few years... during World’s Fair we’d see the Nevilles every Wednesday night at Scheila’s for free... Astral Project blew my mind...Galactic took off right after I left... but the Rads had a major influence on me in terms of grooves and how to slot in and play with other people - still one of my all time favorite bands. The Maple Leaf, Tips, Jimmy’s, Jeds, Tyler’s Beer Garden, Dream Palace, Carrollton Station, Cooter Browns, Snug Harbor, F&M Patio bar... most of the places are long gone... lotsa of amazing music and great times!

Last edited:
Austin, quick question for you. I would like to make an X/Y amp with a clean version on the X and the dirty version on the Y. Do you know if there is a way to copy your clean amp block and "paste" it to the X "side" of the amp block? I think you know what I mean. Great job, by the way. Definitely finding the amps to be more expressive using your pack!

Austin, quick question for you. I would like to make an X/Y amp with a clean version on the X and the dirty version on the Y. Do you know if there is a way to copy your clean amp block and "paste" it to the X "side" of the amp block?

Yes, you can do this with Axe-Edit. Using a "clipboard" tool found in the X/Y area's "right click" menu.

1. Go to the preset with the Amp you want to copy from. Click on the amp block.

2. In the lower left corner where it says X/Y, right click your mouse over that.

3. A menu will come up that allows you to COPY from either X or Y the amp block onto a "Clipboard". Do that.

4. Then switch to the preset you are building.

5. Click on the Amp Block, and Cursor over to the X/Y for it.

6. Right click, the menu pops up that has choice: "Paste ClipBoard into X, or into Y?" Make your choice. It will paste the amp amp block you copied into the X or Y of the target preset amp block.

7. Save the preset so the pasted changes save.

I'm away from my unit now, but someone can probably post a screen shot here, or I will later...

I’ll betray my age if I tell all... but in college I used to see The Radiators 2 or 3 times a week, for a few years... during World’s Fair we’d see the Nevilles every Wednesday night at Scheila’s for free... Astral Project blew my mind...Galactic took off right after I left... but the Rads had a major influence on me in terms of grooves and how to slot in and play with other people - still one of my all time favorite bands. The Maple Leaf, Tips, Jimmy’s, Jeds, Tyler’s Beer Garden, Dream Palace, Carrollton Station, Cooter Browns, Snug Harbor, F&M Patio bar... most of the places are long gone... lotsa of amazing music and great times!
5 of those are gone...

Anyone else have level issues from this pack? I downloaded them, dimed the Ax8 volume output knob per his instructions, and it was clip-city in logic. I made sure that no extra gain was being added in logic. Everything set to 0/ I have to turn down the level every preset to hit the -12 average that he mentions. I've also noticed that they're a little bass-heavy on my Ax8. Would they cut through a live mix with so much bass dialed in, or should we do low cuts for each patch for live use?

Anyone else have level issues from this pack? I downloaded them, dimed the Ax8 volume output knob per his instructions, and it was clip-city in logic. I made sure that no extra gain was being added in logic. Everything set to 0/ I have to turn down the level every preset to hit the -12 average that he mentions. I've also noticed that they're a little bass-heavy on my Ax8. Would they cut through a live mix with so much bass dialed in, or should we do low cuts for each patch for live use?

The usual cause: Is your Nominal output set to -10dbv (and not +4bv) in the I/O> AUDIO page? See post with guide here.

Use LO CUT in the Cab Block to get your bass where you want. In the older versions for 8.02 and 9.02 it was set pretty low. Firmware 10.x has a fuller and higher bass response, so in 10.x Cab block LO CUT is set to cut at 100Hz for most presets, or a little higher for some bottom-heavy cabs like Citrus 4x12 or Uber 4X12.

I would recommend a Cab Block setting of 150Hz LO CUT for doing live gigs, depending on your FRFR system, but some people like a bigger cab thump. You can use FracTool l to reset the Cab Block value across a range of presets.

Any issues with FW 10.1?

Gang:

The 10.01 release notes for AX8 allude to Cliff changing some amps incorrect preamp bias values -- but does not mention specific amps.

Someone caught this issue in a DC30, mentioned in a forum thread and Cliff said he' fix it in 10.01 - and he did.

If you use the "Matchbox"/Matchless DC 30 preset ( I love it!), either dirty or the clean version, after updating to 10.1, please check the Preamp bias value on page three of the amp block.

If it says -0.4, change it to +0.4. The DC30 amp will get louder and will sound fuller. Cool!

Also, for the Bad Cat 30/Hot Kitty -- if it says -0.45, change it to 0.18. You may need to turn the "Y" scene LEVEL down a little too/use VU meter, to about -12.8db

For the Maz 8 Dr. Z -- change it from -0.5 to be -0.05

For the Maz 38 Dr. Z -- change it from -0.5 to 0 (zero)

I haven't found any other yet-- using ARES in Axe III as reference for values there. If I do, I'll post them here.

Any others of these will be fixed for a 11.x firmware TonePack version (whenever we get to that...)

Last edited:
The usual cause: Is your Nominal output set to -10dbv (and not +4bv) in the I/O> AUDIO page? See post with guide here.

Use LO CUT in the Cab Block to get your bass where you want. In the older versions for 8.02 and 9.02 it was set pretty low. Firmware 10.x has a fuller and higher bass response, so in 10.x Cab block LO CUT is set to cut at 100Hz for most presets, or a little higher for some bottom-heavy cabs like Citrus 4x12 or Uber 4X12.

I would recommend a Cab Block setting of 150Hz LO CUT for doing live gigs, depending on your FRFR system, but some people like a bigger cab thump. You can use FracTool l to reset the Cab Block value across a range of presets.

That definitely fixed it. Does decreasing the nominal output affect tone in any way?

Back
Top Bottom