Implemented Fortin Grind

Not tone match, but pedal match...lol....?

The specialties of the pedal maker...a few engineers working on it for a year, spending money to develop it, using high tech equipment.
No, your not going to understand that... even if you quit your job and spent 40 hrs a week... teaching yourself the axe.

That's what I think.

People see everything very easy but doing things well is difficult and more in this case playing with the eq.

Last edited:
That's what I think.

People see everything very easy but doing things is difficult and more in this case playing with the eq.
It all in some way reminds me of the Simpsons... the comic book guy. That guys knows everything about comics.. and how he talks to those who don't get it. But we are in tech nerd country...don't forget.

OP, out of curiosity do you own one of these pedals? If so, try the method Cliff described, and if you're unsure of how to interpret and implement the data then there are plenty of people here who would be happy to help you.

If you don't own the pedal, why not try the EQ suggestions people have talked about using the input EQ in the amp block to fine tune your tone and use your ears to find the particular sound that works best for you. Not only will you learn about the Axe and guitar tones in general, it will help you find your sound.

I'm pretty sure a buddy of mine owns one, so I could ask him to run some pink noise through it and try match it. that's part of the fun with a piece of gear like the III.

As far as I know this pedal is based on old TC Electronic integrated preamp. I cant post links but schematics are out there. Not sure how close TC is to Fortin. It can be as close as direct copy or quite a few part values off.

You're posting a lot of hyperbole about a product which several people have asked (and you have not answered) whether you own or not.

Further, you've been given several suggested solutions to recreate it, including from Cliff himself.

Perhaps try some... You might find the Axe Fx can do what you want without a lot of effort.

Without discussing the Grind or 33 pedals themselves I think you can get comparable results with the Axe Fx.

I've created a simple preset using the same Fryette amp model and 2 factory cabs. This is not meant to be an exact mimic of the grind but just to show that you can use different blocks to get good results.

Scene 1 is the amp model directly, scene 2 is using the FET drive model (with a Null clipping type) like in the demo above, scene 3 is using a HPF and a PEQ with frequency enhancements from which I've read on a forum that the grind pedal enhances these, scene 4 and 5 are 808 drive blocks in front of the amp.

Note that all have the level increased to drive the amp.
Scene 3 should be similar to the way the grind works. This can be improved if someone who has the Grind or 33 pedals runs some pink noise through them to see which freq they enhance. Scene 3 and 4/5 are my preference. ;)

Attachments

• FD60 Grind demo(AxeFx III).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 131
Without discussing the Grind or 33 pedals themselves I think you can get comparable results with the Axe Fx.

I've created a simple preset using the same Fryette amp model and 2 factory cabs. This is not meant to be an exact mimic of the grind but just to show that you can use different blocks to get good results.

Scene 1 is the amp model directly, scene 2 is using the FET drive model (with a Null clipping type) like in the demo above, scene 3 is using a HPF and a PEQ with frequency enhancements from which I've read on a forum that the grind pedal enhances these, scene 4 and 5 are 808 drive blocks in front of the amp.

Scene 3 should be similar to the way the grind works. This can be improved if someone who has the Grind or 33 pedals runs some pink noise through them to see which freq they enhance. Scene 3 and 4/5 are my preference. ;)

Dude Scene 4 on that preset absolutely slays!

I would really like to try this one out. I don't have long experience of importing / exporting presets, but when trying to import it (AX8 FW 10.01) it simply loads for a while and then nothing happens, preset slot is still unaffected. When trying to transfer with Fractal Bot I get an error message: "An error has occured during file transmission. Please reboot AX8 and try again (Status code: 21). When rebooting AX8, I still get the same error message.

Any ideas how to make it work?

I just loaded it up in FracTools and it seems only the III version has any blocks in it. Trying to convert the III version —> AX8 with the same tool lead to the same result. So I assume that due to the structure of this preset it cannot be converted and only used with III ...?

I just loaded it up in FracTools and it seems only the III version has any blocks in it. Trying to convert the III version —> AX8 with the same tool lead to the same result. So I assume that due to the structure of this preset it cannot be converted and only used with III ...?
This is a preset for Axe Fx III, you can't load that into an AX8.

FracTool does not convert from Axe Fx III to other platforms...

Hi all, I was able to "rent" a Fortin Grind from a guy fairly close to me that is selling one to try to match it for about an hour this evening. Quick side note... I think I convinced him to get an AxeFx since he ended up not charging me and drove the 30 minutes each way. He was blown away to say the least.

Below are the RTA screenshots from Axe-Edit III for the knob in the 9:00, 12:00, 3:00, and Full positions running it with some Pink noise. These are in order from top to bottom. You can see the filter curve is pretty consistent through the range, it just gets louder. I preferred it with the knob just a hair under 3:00 best with the default Friedman BE amp/settings, and a 4x12 TRAD V60 Ownhammer Full mix cab block.

I got the closest with the PEQ block, although it's splitting hairs using the Filter or GEQ blocks as well. What's interesting is I got the closest on the RTA comparison with Pink noise using the Filter block, but the sound seems the closest with the attached PEQ block (or maybe it's just what I heard and preferred)

He also brought up a good point that we could just download the free trial of the Fortin Nameless Amp plugin, run some pink noise from Logic, etc through the AxeFx III to compare as well. I might give that a go this weekend and see if it's different than the pedal on the RTA.

The block for the AxeFx III is attached, as well as the PEQ settings for non AxeFx III users.

Thanks again @FractalAudio for the amazing piece of gear and all the tips!

Enjoy.

Fortin Grind 9.png Fortin Grind 12.png Fortin Grind 3.png Fortin Grind Full.png Fortin Grind PEQ.png

Attachments

• Fortin Grind_20181116_233946.blk
    389 bytes · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom