Which IR do you like with the DC30?

Which what do I like? IR? I like the 2x12 Matchbox and Matchbox2 IRs from "AustinBuddy's Fantastic 2x12s" CabPack... there are several examples in the AFX III (the ones marked "2x12 Matchbox* AB", F070-092)... Settings? I like drive around 3ish, reduce the bass, up the mid and treble a little... Guitars? Sounds nice w/ my Gretsch Anniversary, or my Nashville Tele. Tolex Color? The turquoise or burgundy looks pretty swanky ;)

A HC30 was my main amp for years, so I have been a bit bummed to not have the EF86 channel in the Fractal - I used to run them jumped in the real amp in to the matchless cab. Man, that was a wonderful tone at gig levels. Now that I have the III I need to try using a dual amp setup perhaps with the Morgan...

I used to have a DC-30 clone, and pretty much exclusively ran the EF86 channel. I'd also be very keen to have this modelled in the Axe-Fx (see my avatar ;)).

As for cabs and settings, input volume about halfway, master almost cranked. Cut the bass a touch, boost the mids, bump the treble up a bit. Tiny bit of high cut. I like running it with the 2x12 Boutique cab. I think at the moment I've got the '2x12 Boutique (RW)' and '2x12 Boutique R121' mixed equally.

I'll join in on saying that the EF-86 channel is where it's at with the DC-30. It's one of the amps that I've been dying to see modeled. It's such a tease having the 12ax7 channel modeled, but not the EF-86... all the crushed-glassy goodness is on the EF-86 channel.

A HC30 was my main amp for years, so I have been a bit bummed to not have the EF86 channel in the Fractal - I used to run them jumped in the real amp in to the matchless cab. Man, that was a wonderful tone at gig levels. Now that I have the III I need to try using a dual amp setup perhaps with the Morgan...
this is what I do...it's not the same but there's a little bit of the flavor there..

Ive posted this before ....... and with tongue firmly planted in cheek ....... there are 3 great unknowns of the human millennia

- where did we come from
- are we alone in the universe
- the lack of the DC30 EF-86 Channel in the Axe 3

My sense is that the first two will be resolved before the third :)

Thank you for your time.

Ben

Last edited:
I updated the title. I should have proofed first. I'm looking for a great IR for the DC30. Thanks.

A bit confused on this EF-86 discussion. I see an EF-86 tube option on my AX8 in the DC-30 preamp tube options? Is it that the option is not available in the III, or cause having the option in the AX8 doesn't help much?

I’m thinking having the amp model created with the ef86 is not the same as choosing a tube type for an amp modeled using a 12ax7

A bit confused on this EF-86 discussion. I see an EF-86 tube option on my AX8 in the DC-30 preamp tube options? Is it that the option is not available in the III, or cause having the option in the AX8 doesn't help much?
yeah it's not the same

The EF86 channel in the dc30 doesn't have a conventional tonestack, among other differences. I've tried just setting the preamp tube type to EF86 in the Axe-Fx, but it doesn't even get close to the real EF86 channel.

I've been using James Santiago's IR's ever since the 2012 Axe Fest. I use a stereo cab block with the "EJ1250 Paper R101 UA_SS" on the left and "EJ1250 Room Facing R-101" on the right. I've tried cab packs, Cab Lab, stock IR's, but this is the tried and true combination for me to provide fullness whether clean-ish or dirty/crunch tones are needed. I mainly play worship music.

I've been using James Santiago's IR's ever since the 2012 Axe Fest. I use a stereo cab block with the "EJ1250 Paper R101 UA_SS" on the left and "EJ1250 Room Facing R-101" on the right. I've tried cab packs, Cab Lab, stock IR's, but this is the tried and true combination for me to provide fullness whether clean-ish or dirty/crunch tones are needed. I mainly play worship music.
With the DC30, do you mainly use the drive from the amp, or do you use drive blocks in front of it?

I don’t recall exactly which ones, but I’m an Ownhammer fan. His basic mixes are often pretty much perfect. If I remember righ, I have a stereo mix of 2x12s, with blue on one side and silver on the other.

Back
Top Bottom