Tone Match Problem

jyflorida

Power User
Really loving the Axe III - and very pleased that for the most part my patches converted from my XL+. None of my tone match patches converted though - there seems to be no processing taking place in the TM block. Not a big deal, so I thought I'd just try and re-create one.

Tried to do a match of You Really Got Me using the 5153 50w Blue, which is what I used on the XL+. After doing the match, what I ended up with sounds like I'm playing in a large metal can! I'm doing it the same way I've done it on the XL+, and the owners manual links you to the TM guide for the old Axe. The recording I'm using is FLAC format, as I've done before.

Just wondering if anyone's experienced this & how you got it to work. Attaching the basic patch.

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• Test TM.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 7
Tried resetting system parameters, no luck. Hoping there's nothing wrong with the Axe itself. All the regular patches sound great though.

Really loving the Axe III - and very pleased that for the most part my patches converted from my XL+. None of my tone match patches converted though - there seems to be no processing taking place in the TM block. Not a big deal, so I thought I'd just try and re-create one.

Tried to do a match of You Really Got Me using the 5153 50w Blue, which is what I used on the XL+. After doing the match, what I ended up with sounds like I'm playing in a large metal can! I'm doing it the same way I've done it on the XL+, and the owners manual links you to the TM guide for the old Axe. The recording I'm using is FLAC format, as I've done before.

Just wondering if anyone's experienced this & how you got it to work. Attaching the basic patch.

Thanks very much!
I haven't been able to spend much time with it, but something doesn't seem to be right? After doing the match, try reducing the 'Amount' parameter to around 50%, and it will start sounding usable? If you leave it at 100%, it's nothing like the reference track and you get a strange delay type sound too?

The TM block in the Axe-Fx II had 2 different modes. I would sometimes experiment with the 2 modes to see which one yielded the best results. Most of the time, one would work better than the other, but not always the same one. The TM block in the Axe-Fx III does not have the 2 modes. When I asked which mode was the most similar to the new Axe-Fx III version, the only answer I received was that the 2 modes were not necessary anymore?

A bit better at 50% but still very "tinny". Really appreciate the advice Moke. Calling it a night - 4:30AM comes awfully early! :)

I have tried on three separate occasions to grab a tone match with the exact same result giving up in frustration. I just calked it up to being that much of a tone match noob/newb. Watched a couple videos, consulted the wiki, tried translating Italian.........Back to square one pick an amp cabinet and tweak. But one day I would like this to be as easy as some make it look.

I did the same, watched an Italian video, which was well done if you speak Italian, wiki, FX 2 videos.I had great input ref (isolated guitar coming through usb input) had matched the amp and settings to the artist, but after a lot of trial and error, no joy. I got a tinny sound also and gave up after a few hours. Would be great if there was a step by step guide.

Thanks very much!
You can convert tonematches from II/XL, but it's a little harder than just drag and dropping onto FracTool, here is the process :
- Convert the preset with FracTool
- Open the II/XL preset with fractool (magnifying glass icon)
- right click on the TMA block and save the tonematch data to WAV file
- Open the WAV file with CabLab Lite and convert it to SYX (UltraRes)
- Import the SYX with AxeEdit or FBot to your III.
- Replace the TMA block with an IR Player block on the III, point it to the syx user cab slot you used previously

You're done

You can convert tonematches from II/XL, but it's a little harder than just drag and dropping onto FracTool, here is the process :
- Convert the preset with FracTool
- Open the II/XL preset with fractool (magnifying glass icon)
- right click on the TMA block and save the tonematch data to WAV file
- Open the WAV file with CabLab Lite and convert it to SYX (UltraRes)
- Import the SYX with AxeEdit or FBot to your III.
- Replace the TMA block with an IR Player block on the III, point it to the syx user cab slot you used previously

You're done

Thank you! Will try this after work.

Cliff, can you offer some insight as to what I may be doing wrong?

Last edited:
Before I handed off my XL+ to my son I saved all my (excellent) tonematches as IRs and imported them into my III as such. They sound fine. But I have to say I've also been unsatisfied with the tonematches I've made with the III, despite using the same process (as far as I can tell) as well as the same old iMac and USB cable. I'm sure it's user error, but I can't sort it out.

I've only tested it with USB as the source. Haven't tried any of the analog inputs?

I have found repeatedly that the tone match messes up...axe ii or axe iii.
I will have a reference with less hi freq than the local but after the tone match
the hi end of the tone match frequency range goes ballistic. This was one of the reasons I asked in the wish list for the ability to limit frequency range.

I have found repeatedly that the tone match messes up...axe ii or axe iii.
I will have a reference with less hi freq than the local but after the tone match
the hi end of the tone match frequency range goes ballistic. This was one of the reasons I asked in the wish list for the ability to limit frequency range.
Is it possible you're flipping the reference with the local?

@200man that symptom matches what happens when you distort the tone match with reference levels that are too high.

Others, can you please specify whether you are matching to a recording or a live amp/modeler, what kind of connections you are using, and what settings you have tried.

Also, concerning a guide... the updated Tone Match Mini Manual has been on the web site for a few weeks. It appears as a link under the main manual at https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/

@200man that symptom matches what happens when you distort the tone match with reference levels that are too high.
very careful with levels...i do understand this element.
I don’t know what to add except I’m tone matching clean non-distorted guitar whose frequency range is primarily less than 6khz and all this stuff gets added above. Having a noise gate is something I wanted to try but is not possible with the current design.

Back
Top Bottom