Should I keep bothering with the Axe-Fx II XL+?

The Axe fx just isn't for everyone and that's fine. But you only have it one week so don't give up yet.

In your first post you say you don't use many effects and only need a basic amp and cab tone. Why did you get the Axe fx then? You might be better of with a real amp in this case. Not dissing you but just curious.

So, you don't have a noise gate anywhere on the grid, and the Input Gate Threshold is set to OFF and the ratio is set to 1.00? If so, can you post a preset? Have you tried swapping your guitar cable?

Which is partially why I suggested the factory reset. It wouldn't be obvious to a new user that there is a noise gate on the input block, as well as the noise gate block itself.

I'm not sure about the factory reset process, as I've never had to do one myself. Can anyone else comment on the process and how long it should take?

Also, I'm not sure that running out a tube hi-fi amp into hi-fi speakers at a volume so low you can still hear the strings on a solidbody guitar is ever going to sound anything other than crappy. Certainly, you'd never be able to dial in a tone that would sound good at band practice volumes. I think you'd be better off just plugging in some headphones instead.

There's no "Reset to Factory" process available.

For a "fresh" system, it suffices to execute "Reset System Params" in Utility (takes one second) , have the latest offical firmware installed and the latest factory presets.

Left-over presets and IRs do not hurt. Global block data doesn't hurt either.

There's no "Reset to Factory" process available.

For a "fresh" system, it suffices to execute "Reset System Params" in Utility (takes one second) , have the latest offical firmware installed and the latest factory presets.

Left-over presets and IRs do not hurt. Global block data doesn't hurt either.

Ah! So best to just start with a brand new preset and add blocks from there, then.

Put on the best preset you have dialed in, then go to XFormer Match in the advanced page of the amp block & dial it down to about .750 or so. The amp will open up a lot & remove whatever blanket/mud you hear. Keep lowering it until it sounds good to you.

Thanks all for your support, I'm trying to get my head around this. Yes, major acts use it, but God knows how and why. A full band compressed and sent through the FOH might work well with this if a sound engineer is around to help shape the overall sound, but still I don't see how this can be played. I recorded some months ago 5 songs with a kemper straight-to-desk and it didn't seem bad. All I was hearing were the studio monitors. I can't say I'm accustomed to it, but definitely no stranger.

Actually at low volumes it sounds much better than turned up. I've been toying with the Friedman at home, it's definitely not my go-to amp but I can get a usable sound out of it. I will take some time tomorrow to get to our studio to crank it up again and see if it behaves better. Maybe the low-cut in the power amp is the crucial factor in sound since the BE has it set up all the way to 500Hz, which should basically cut all the beef from the guitar, however it manages to sound cleaner without loosing low-end. I'll also try the same trick but with the cab low-cut set higher and the amp in full spectrum see how it works. It need the sound to be usable with the band, it must be dynamic and....to sound good dammit.

@willowdale I'll try the transformer, thanks for that tip!

@jlynnb1 I've played the YJM Plexi and a H&K Switchblade combo for most of the early days. Lately I've been using a Blackstar HT-5 and a mini 6505+ for easier lugging, but I still depended on pedals so I got the Mooer. I've had the chance to toy with a VHT SigX for a while, but wasn't for my taste

Well it's been a while but I finally got the hang of it. The low and hi-cut in the power amp did the job for me. I can get it to sound like a real amp now. I even gigged once with it which was great until the sound guy lowered the volume on the FOH which sadly meant less monitoring for us (small venue *sigh*) but pulled through, no pedals, just the volume knob. So it's a keeper for now :D

Good news. Personally I would have just said to someone in your original position to go to Ownhammer, buy a pack that takes your fancy and give that a go.( just the files OH00-OH10 for starters) Obviously after a system reset if it was second hand...
If that didnt improve things or light a fuse within you then maybe nothing would...

Good to hear! You'll get better and better at dialling in good presets as time goes on. The first presets I made were shocking - I occasionally go back and play them and cringe.

Back
Top Bottom