AFIII U2 "Streets" Clip

Sounds really good - I've been working on one for the AX8 for a while - largely based on your videos. :) Well done!

very good.......which amp did you use - original AC 30 Topboost? a big part of the chime is the upstroke, i found out.

very good.......which amp did you use - original AC 30 Topboost? a big part of the chime is the upstroke, i found out.

Yes, Class A 30W TB. Bright switch off believe it or not. It's too brittle with the Bright on. Turn bright off, the treble up, bass down and mid up some depending on your guitar.

Now, here is the trick for me anyway (same on the Axe II). I realize this means the model I'm using is no longer a "real" AC-30 but I can only get U2 stuff to work with the Negative Feedback ON. It increases the volume and what I describe as fullness of the tone. It gives me some mids and texture that works perfectly for U2 stuff.

Input drive should be between 4.5 and 5 depending on your guitar (mine is a Start with Kinman pups). Remember this song, like many of Edge's songs on a Strat, is in quack position (bridge and middle). You won't get this tone without a Strat in quack.

Adjust EQ to get your Strat closer to the tone. I boost 500 through 2000 hz. Don't add too much high pitch treble. You want mid to high chime, not ice picky highs. Edge's tone has a lot of mids. His old '64 didn't have that brittle high end that many new AC-30s seem to have.

Finally tweak tone with the cab selection. 2x12 Class-A of your liking. I think I blended four of them for this clip. Love the new cab block!

Keep in mind the chime is not just the Axe. There are two other important things to get the chime. First, like Edge, I used a Herdim pick on the side with the dimples hitting the strings. This gives it punch, attack and sharpness. Also, I have .11 gauge strings on my Strat (I believe Edge does the same on many songs). This adds to the chime IMHO. A .09 gauge is not going to chime like an 0.11.

Delay is digital and modulated. For this clip I used the Ambient Stereo for the first time, and love it!

Last edited:
Yes, Class A 30W TB. Bright switch off believe it or not. It's too brittle with the Bright on. Turn bright off, the treble up, bass down and mid up some depending on your guitar.

Now, here is the trick for me anyway (same on the Axe II). I realize this means the model I'm using is no longer a "real" AC-30 but I can only get U2 stuff to work with the Negative Feedback ON. It increases the volume and what I describe as fullness of the tone. It gives me some mids and texture that works perfectly for U2 stuff.

Input drive should be between 4.5 and 5 depending on your guitar (mine is a Start with Kinman pups). Remember this song, like many of Edge's songs on a Strat, is in quack position (neck and middle). You won't get this tone without a Strat in quack.

Adjust EQ to get your Strat closer to the tone. I boost 500 through 2000 hz. Don't add too much high pitch treble. You want mid to high chime, not ice picky highs. Edge's tone has a lot of mids. His old '64 didn't have that brittle high end that many new AC-30s seem to have.

Finally tweak tone with the cab selection. 2x12 Class-A of your liking. I think I blended four of them for this clip. Love the new cab block!

Keep in mind the chime is not just the Axe. There are two other important things to get the chime. First, like Edge, I used a Herdim pick on the side with the dimples hitting the strings. This gives it punch, attack and sharpness. Also, I have .11 gauge strings on my Strat (I believe Edge does the same on many songs). This adds to the chime IMHO. A .09 gauge is not going to chime like an 0.11.

Delay is digital and modulated. For this clip I used the Ambient Stereo for the first time, and love it!

Very interessing informations - thanks a lot. I always tried to reach the The Edge Sound with more Brighness - and didn´t touch bass/mids at the amp in the axe - cause they are also not there at the real amp. But it doesnt work or were to harsch.

another Axe-User also told about using the negative feedback for more fullness in tone - you´re not alone.

I admit these videos are way too long, but they illustrate how anyone can just experiment with the various parameters on an amp model and find the tone you're looking for. Some parameters have more of an affect on the tone than others. Of course, it's not a linear relationship and there are an infinite number of combinations, but I still find that 20% of the parameters are 80% of the tone.

I just keep iterating and converging to various clips I like. Step away from time to time because your ears can play tricks on you after a while.

A .09 gauge is not going to chime like an 0.11.

Axman,

Great tone, clip, settings, and playing. I'm a new Axe owner - got the III a week ago - and already have most of Joshua Tree dialed in.

I run .09s on my Strats and Teles, and the chime still comes through wonderfully. In fact, dare I say, it helps with that as well as the modulation of the delay. The strings seem to go through a couple of vibration phases after the initial pluck. I just love it. The drawback? The texture of the pick grabs hold pretty good and catches once in a great while, especially with a brand new pick.

You use the 2290..? Damn fine delay on the Axe!

Back
Top Bottom