Bug? FW Q10 Lock Up / Hang

MusicMaker

Updated to FW Q10 earlier this week. Happy to see the lower CPU and faster switching, all working great.

I leave my AX8 on pretty much all the time and have had two times this week where I come back to it and it is emitting humming (static - instrument cable not plugged in to guitar) sound even though the expression pedal controlling volume is off. None of the switches change any parameters either and I can't switch to a new preset. A power cycle is required to regain function/control.

This has occurred on different presets this week.

Prior to Q10 I would have this happen from time to time, maybe every 1 or 2 months so never really concerned me that much. But with two crashes in the past week since upgrade seems like something has gotten worse and with playing out at least once a week, I'll be switching back to Q9 for the time being.

Appreciate any other confirmations or details from others that are seeing similar.

Hope this is something we can track down and get resolved soon.

Thanks,
~ Bill

Something that happens regardless of firmware version leads to the possibility of other potential issues. Occurring more frequently doesn't necessarily equate to firmware as the cause. Regarding this particular problem, Fractal states in the manual that the AX8, or any of their products, should be turned off and/or disconnected from AC power when isn't going to be used for extended periods of time.

AX8 Manual:
upload_2018-8-10_9-37-44.png
FX8 Manual:
upload_2018-8-10_9-35-18.png
Axe Fx III Manual:

upload_2018-8-10_9-30-9.png

Thank you for the response. I do agree - could very well be a coincidence with the firmware update. And I need to pay closer attention if it is only happening when connected to USB and computer or not.

As far as what the manual states - this is a computer. I leave my computer on all the time too, and I don't want to get in a debate over the pros/cons of that. However, when I play live the unit may be on stage and turned on for up to 6 or 7 hours to cover 3 sets. What is an "extended period of time"? I play usually every day and sometimes several times per day. I don't accept as an answer that if it locks up it may have been on "too long".

I'm just trying to provide details and help to those that can fix this so perhaps one day it can be resolved.

Thanks,
~ Bill

All computers aren’t the same. They aren’t all designed to be left on forever. I don’t find that a justification for leaving Fractal gear on constantly.

Why not just turn it off when you aren’t using it?

Hi Chris,

Fair enough, not trying to start a debate around that. And I'm appreciative of the suggestion. It's just a sudden difference that I hadn't encountered in my previous 6 years with Fractal gear.

Really just interested if other people are seeing this? It's probably the first firmware I've ever had any issues with over the years, in this case two issues, one relatively minor (the control switch issue in another thread) and then this lock up issue which has me a little more concerned. I have my AxeFXII as a backup for live but the AX8 has been rock solid the last two years and now the sudden uptick in lock ups.

Thanks,
~ Bill

Hi Chris,

Fair enough, not trying to start a debate around that. And I'm appreciative of the suggestion. It's just a sudden difference that I hadn't encountered in my previous 6 years with Fractal gear.

Really just interested if other people are seeing this? It's probably the first firmware I've ever had any issues with over the years, in this case two issues, one relatively minor (the control switch issue in another thread) and then this lock up issue which has me a little more concerned. I have my AxeFXII as a backup for live but the AX8 has been rock solid the last two years and now the sudden uptick in lock ups.

Thanks,
~ Bill
Understood. I haven’t seen reports of this lockup. I wonder if it’s preset specific? Maybe it is time-left-on related. I keep mine on maybe 4 hours at most at the gig and haven’t experienced it.

I have gigged a few times since the update and have been lucky thus far on the lockup issue I guess. Maybe a reboot in between sets is in order? I've left it on for days, already.

Thank you for the response. I do agree - could very well be a coincidence with the firmware update. And I need to pay closer attention if it is only happening when connected to USB and computer or not.

As far as what the manual states - this is a computer. I leave my computer on all the time too, and I don't want to get in a debate over the pros/cons of that. However, when I play live the unit may be on stage and turned on for up to 6 or 7 hours to cover 3 sets. What is an "extended period of time"? I play usually every day and sometimes several times per day. I don't accept as an answer that if it locks up it may have been on "too long".

I'm just trying to provide details and help to those that can fix this so perhaps one day it can be resolved.

Thanks,
~ Bill
Wasn't chastising, just pointing out what Fractal had to say. I usually try to help troubleshoot with 'bugs' but in this case I'll leave it to the more adventurous. Ignoring a manufacturer's warning isn't something I'm willing to do. Good luck.

Wasn't chastising, just pointing out what Fractal had to say. I usually try to help troubleshoot with 'bugs' but in this case I'll leave it to the more adventurous. Ignoring a manufacturer's warning isn't something I'm willing to do. Good luck.

Sorry if my response came off the wrong way - appreciate the help. I'm going to reinstall Q10 (I had rolled back yesterday) and will do some more testing.

Thanks,
~ Bill

I have gigged a few times since the update and have been lucky thus far on the lockup issue I guess. Maybe a reboot in between sets is in order? I've left it on for days, already.
One person reporting a problem on one unit does not define an "issue"...

OP - this could quite simply be a hardware issue getting worse over time with the timing related to FW update being merely coincidence.

I leave my AX8 on pretty much all the time and have had two times this week where I come back to it and it is emitting humming (static - instrument cable not plugged in to guitar) sound even though the expression pedal controlling volume is off. None of the switches change any parameters either and I can't switch to a new preset. A power cycle is required to regain function/control.

I encountered something similar with Q6 if I recall correctly. In my case the box generated some sort of low-volume machinery like sound. Turning it off and on again fixed the issue. Never came back so far.

I too am curious what Fractal considers “an extended period of time.”

12 hours vs 12 days?

For me, if I get to a gig a couple hours early, turn it on, do a four hour gig, that’s six hours. I consider that a “normal” amount of time, not “extended” time. But Fractal may disagree.

I’m not complaining whatsoever. Just curious.

I too am curious what Fractal considers “an extended period of time.”

12 hours vs 12 days?

For me, if I get to a gig a couple hours early, turn it on, do a four hour gig, that’s six hours. I consider that a “normal” amount of time, not “extended” time. But Fractal may disagree.

I’m not complaining whatsoever. Just curious.
I keep tube amps on for 6 hours. I’d figure an AX8 is fair to keep on that long.

Back
Top Bottom