Set List Maker setup... I'm stuck...

AllanH

Inspired
Hey Lads

I have Setlist maker on my Ipad, Yamaha Bluetooth BT-01 in the AxeXL+ I see in setlist maker that there is connection til the BT-01, great..and it receives midi from the BT-01 great... BUT

What and where do you enter stuff in SLM to make a song choose a preset on my AXE? I read and see on you tube that many can get it working, but I'm honesty Stuck. Also, I think part of it is because I don't really understand what midi to send for the presets (PC no??? CC#?????)

Is there a clever helpfull soul here who could point me in the right direction? All help really appreciated, thank you so much....

Fantastic app however it can be quite confusing. There is an in app purchase for midi support I'm going to assume you have done that. For every song your going to have in your setlist you need to create a MIDI Preset for it. So first off start app > go to your desired database > You'll see MIDI Presets select that > You'll see a plus button at the top select that > Enter a name for the song your making the MIDI Preset for > Below the name tick Active to on > Under Program Changes enter the midi number for the preset you want to select on the Axe FX. Lest say on Axe FX preset 5 you have Sweet Home Alabama, enter 0 0 5 in the three boxes. Your done adding the midi preset change info however now you need to set that in the song file. Go to your database and select Songs, select the song Sweet Home Alabama, scroll down to where it says MIDI Presets and and select the + button which brings up a list to choose the midi file. You'll need to add a midi device your wanting to control so go to database > Settings > MIDI Devices again click the plus button and enter info for the Axe FX, the port you want to choose is MD-BT01 Bluetooth (It may not be listed in the menu when you select the right arrow until after you have tried to connect to the yamaha adapter first. if this is the case select the midi button at the top right of the screen and make sure midi is running, under that Connect to a Bluetooth Device menu and select the yamaha adapter. Now you should be able to find it in the menu when adding a bluetooth device.) Almost there......... You can now go to Songs or choose a setlist you have made and there should be a midi button next to the song in the list you press to activate the preset change on the Axe FX. Every time you start SetListMaker you have to turn midi on and select the yamaha midi adapter at the top of the app, also if you have had SetListMaker in the background running another app sometimes you have to wake the midi connection up again by going to the midi menu at the top. Hope this helps.

I know confusing right? I'm sure you have more questions and I would be happy to help, just post back here or message me direct.

Thank you so much Tom for the instruction. I'll try that when I get back home to the Axe. I think I did most of it, but will now double check the settings. You are right, it's a great App however a bit confusing here and there :)

Fantastic app however it can be quite confusing. There is an in app purchase for midi support I'm going to assume you have done that. For every song your going to have in your setlist you need to create a MIDI Preset for it. So first off start app > go to your desired database > You'll see MIDI Presets select that > You'll see a plus button at the top select that > Enter a name for the song your making the MIDI Preset for > Below the name tick Active to on > Under Program Changes enter the midi number for the preset you want to select on the Axe FX. Lest say on Axe FX preset 5 you have Sweet Home Alabama, enter 0 0 5 in the three boxes. Your done adding the midi preset change info however now you need to set that in the song file. Go to your database and select Songs, select the song Sweet Home Alabama, scroll down to where it says MIDI Presets and and select the + button which brings up a list to choose the midi file. You'll need to add a midi device your wanting to control so go to database > Settings > MIDI Devices again click the plus button and enter info for the Axe FX, the port you want to choose is MD-BT01 Bluetooth (It may not be listed in the menu when you select the right arrow until after you have tried to connect to the yamaha adapter first. if this is the case select the midi button at the top right of the screen and make sure midi is running, under that Connect to a Bluetooth Device menu and select the yamaha adapter. Now you should be able to find it in the menu when adding a bluetooth device.) Almost there......... You can now go to Songs or choose a setlist you have made and there should be a midi button next to the song in the list you press to activate the preset change on the Axe FX. Every time you start SetListMaker you have to turn midi on and select the yamaha midi adapter at the top of the app, also if you have had SetListMaker in the background running another app sometimes you have to wake the midi connection up again by going to the midi menu at the top. Hope this helps.

I know confusing right? I'm sure you have more questions and I would be happy to help, just post back here or message me direct.

A few notes:

- To switch presets on the Axe-Fx you need the method above. The other way around (making SetListMaker adhere to preset switching on the Axe) requires entering MIDI data in the song details.

- It's not strictly required to add a MIDI device. You can enter all the info without it.

- You can make SetListMaker automatically send the MIDI preset when selecting a song. I think it's in the Layout details.

YEK, Thank you for chipping in also. I think that is more what I was trying to do, and (though a bit embarrassed :oops:) it is not until now I get that there are more than one way in SLM to set it up.
What I need it to do is simply, when I choose a song in SLM it should bring up the attached preset on my Axe (because we jump around in out setlist at rehearsals)

I looked at the MIDI chart reg. presets in the manual... it makes absolutely no sense to me...... The midi chart for IA's etc are simple to grasp, but I get confused on what to enter for presets.. I have all my live presets in bank A, preset 1-25.

MIDI organizes presets in banks of 128 presets (0-127). The Axe-Fx also does that under the hood but you don't see it: presets are numbered consecutively.

To access an Axe-Fx preset from another device requires that you enter a three-fields-number, as Tom has explained. In Set List Maker you do that by creating a MIDI Preset and entering the data there.

Let's say you want to switch to preset 130 on the Axe. This means that the preset is in the 2nd bank, which is Bank 1 (MIDI always starts at 0). So you have to let SLM know that you want a preset in Bank 1, and it's the 3rd one (128 > 129 > 130). In MIDI that's Program Change 2.

Another difficulty is that there are two ways to specify bank numbers: LSB and MSB. It suffices to say that you need MSB here to send presets.

So in each MIDI preset you enter zero in the MSB field (single digit), you enter the bank number in the LSB field (single digit), and then enter the Program Change number (without preceding zeros) in the third field.

If you want it the other way around: making SLM respond to preset switching on the Axe, then use the MSB field instead of the LSB field in the Song details.

Make sure that SLM uses the same MIDI channel as the Axe.

Ahaaa, I really think I got it now..... that makes sense even for me :) Now I'm a bit torn if it would be smarter to let AXE choose the song in SLM... that could also work for me. Thank you guys for your fantastic help. I'll try to set it up again in when I'm back home from work :)

Ahaaa, I really think I got it now..... that makes sense even for me :) Now I'm a bit torn if it would be smarter to let AXE choose the song in SLM... that could also work for me. Thank you guys for your fantastic help. I'll try to set it up again in when I'm back home from work :)

You can do it both.

yes scenes can be changed. However you need to use hex code to change scenes.
The codes are:
Scene 1 B0 22 00
Scene 2 B0 22 01
Scene 3 B0 22 02
Scene 4 B0 22 03
Scene 5 B0 22 04
Scene 6 B0 22 05
Scene 7 B0 22 06
Scene 8 B0 22 07

Sorry to bother everyone again here... justified and tried again... in SLM I simply cannot find the menu MIDI preset????? Do I need to buy the automation option? I already bought the MIDI expansion for it, and thought that should be it?

MIDI expansion should be all you need. When you first launch SLM you should be at the Database screen and there should be a sample data base plus one-s you have created. Select a database from there. The next screen you see should be the name of the database you choose. My database is named NIXX. There you should see a list.
11111.jpg

Select MIDI Presets and this is where you add them for each song you want to send midi commands from. To add a new midi preset click the + button at the top. There you will enter a name for the midi preset. I name them the same as the song.
22222.jpg

From there just click the back arrow and it will automatically save it to the MIDI presets list. You continue to do this for each song you want to send a midi command from.

Then to actually add these MIDI Presets to a song go to the song list.
33333.jpg

Here you will add your songs. Again click the + sign at the top to add a new song. Here you add the song name and adjust setting for that song. This is also where you choose the MIDI preset that you just created in the steps before. Scroll down and you will see a tab for MIDI presets, click the + Add MIDI Presets and a list will pop up to select from.
44444.jpg

Step #1 select a song from the list and it will have a check mark next to it. Step #2 click the save button.
55555.jpg

Thats it for adding a MIDI Preset then adding it to a song. But wait theres more! Now you need an actually setlist to choose the song from. For my needs I add setlist's under Shows. Go to your database and select Shows. Click the + sign to add a new show. Edit details is where you name it then click the back arrow, it saves automatically. Next select Edit songs to add the songs you want to this setlist. Make sure a check mark is next to each song you want to add then click the save button at the top.

Once you have a setlist complete you have two options of how you send the midi command. You can either have a midi button next to the song that you click on or you can set in the Layouts menu to have it send a midi program change when you click/select a song in the list.
Im thinking I should probably do a video as there are so many options and things that can be overlooked it can be pretty frustrating getting this all working.

Allan, you are always welcome to drop by my place (Søborg), then we can take a look together. I run SetListMaker on iPad and the AX8.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom