I'm a thoroughly impressed Mesa snob

yoitsmegabe

Inspired
I originally got the Axe FX II in early January and returned it immediately after seeing he announcement for the III. Waited 7 months and finally decided to pull the trigger. Man i'm glad I did. I love Mesa amps/cabs. I had a Dual Rectifier Roadster and sold that for a Mark v (my current favorite amp). I play through a 4x12 slant recto cab with g12 century vintage speakers. I wanted the Axe FX to be able to play through headphones, record ideas on my computer, and run it through a power amp to my cab for jamming all in one unit. This was supposed to be a companion to my current setup

This thing will replace my Mark V setup as soon as I'm done tone matching all of the voicings. I already matched my channel 3 sound by 99.6% using the USA lead c++ model. That was just using my ears not the tone match. I'm so impressed with the tone and feel of this thing. I'm currently running it through a Matrix gt1600fx to my cab. I was also shocked at how good the Matrix power amp is. No need for a tube 2:90 which I was originally eyeballing. All this and I have a couple of hundred other amps in there to play with. Now i'm just waiting for a rack to put this stuff in.

You should check out Leon Todd on YouTube. He does some AMAZING tutorials on getting awesome Mesa sounds from the Axe 8/Axe Fx II. Very easily translatable to the III.
Good to know!

OP - I'm with you. My Mesas are my life as far as amps go. They're also basically the only amps I use in modelers, as well. I really liked the sounds I was getting out of my Helix but the Mesa Mark IV sounds I get out of the Axe (Rhythm 1 & 2) are to die for and I haven't even needed to bother auditioning other amps!

The Mesa amps on the Axe are outstanding! The Recto 2 Red is my go to amp lately.
I love the C++ and the Recto Red Modern 2. I think there are some other recto models tucked in there that aren't labelled recto. The FAS modern sounds recto-like to me but it is tight as hell. So far i'm loving this box.

A convert from the mighty Road King II here. Oh, I still have one, and it still sounds awesome, but it hasn't left the house in years now. I totally understand.

Yep, I too still have my original (MarkIIC-) I bought new from Mesa (the good old days where everything was shipped) which also still is a killer. But I wish I could have had my AxeFXIII back in the 80’s! The sound and flexibility still blows me away!

Back
Top Bottom