AX-8 10.00 Release Candidate #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was checking out the Plexi 2204 and Friedman 2018 last night cranked through headphones.... first time i felt like i was playing through a real, live amp. Absolutely incredible update and fantastic work from Cliff&Co. Yinz know what’s up

Did the boost feature from Ax3
Get ported to amp block that would be really cool and helpful for the AX8
CPU by allowing the guys that use boost to tighten up the rectos etc
To not have to use a drive pedal to accomplish this
Not sure if it’s possible

Did the boost feature from Ax3
Get ported to amp block that would be really cool and helpful for the AX8
CPU by allowing the guys that use boost to tighten up the rectos etc
To not have to use a drive pedal to accomplish this
Not sure if it’s possible
+1 on this if it's doable!!

Might be that the boost feature (button in AXE3) which is actually a selection of drive pedals with drive at 0 only makes sense in the AXE3 because the whole drive pedal needs to be modeled and that platform has CPU to spare?

IF that’s true, I prefer having a lower CPU amp block with the option to add the low drive boost as needed.

Any word from @FractalAudio if this RC will end up being the final version? Betas and RC's were flying around so fast that I decided to not upgrade yet. Last I saw he said that this looked like it might be it and was waiting a few days to see if any bugs popped up.

Any word from @FractalAudio if this RC will end up being the final version? Betas and RC's were flying around so fast that I decided to not upgrade yet. Last I saw he said that this looked like it might be it and was waiting a few days to see if any bugs popped up.

This RC won’t be the final version:

I've fixed the balance bug but I'm going to wait a few days before an official release to make sure there are no other issues reported.

A video wouldn't hurt, but someone has to be able to reproduce the issue before it can be fixed.

Here you go :

Turn on the sub-titles. They're English even if YT says it's German.

Edit: I can reproduce this at will. In fact I had to do this video at least ten times until I got something usable.

Last edited:
After a week or so with 10 betas and RC2 into the studio monitors: I thought I’d hook up my actual speaker cabinets: And wow, I’m really impressed. FRFR is great and all, but a real cabinet has its own charm, and I’m getting all of that with v10 without needing EQ adjustments and other efforts of earlier firmware. All I’ve needed do is turn off the cab block and run the AX8 into an SS power amp and to the speaker. The sound and feel is all there: The guitar tone and volume knobs can finesse the proper form just as they do with all tube analog: Plus, the advanced parameters like sag and speaker drive or swapping out preamp tubes translate beautifully.

Since the AX8, I’d downsized to 3 favorite (and versatile) guitar speakers (and 2 seldom used amps): The Celestion Type A which goes well with Fenders or ambient shimmer, a Celestion G12-35XC; which does just about everything well - but particularly with Vox and Marshall type amps, and an Eminence Lynch Super V12 which is not only masterful with high gain material, but aces that Fane muscular clarity with the Carol Ann Tucana Clean, or as you'd expect with a Hiwatt. Each of these speakers match up with various FAS amp models with results much as one would expect with actual amps. Whereas some improvements of v10 over earlier firmware may be subtle: AX8 to SS amp into an actual cabinet is: in sound, feel, and behavior; substantially more authoritative and authentically tube-like than before. Dialed in as a default. I have the Celestion IRs of the G12-35XC and the Type A to actually compare with: and they are as similar as one could expect with the inherent apples and oranges difference between FRFR and a cabinet: IR variances due to mic types and the actual cab being “in the room" without a mic.

I expect players that prefer actual cabinets when circumstances allow, will be really happy with firmware 10. Glad I kept mine.

Last edited:
Here you go :

Turn on the sub-titles. They're English even if YT says it's German.

Edit: I can reproduce this at will. In fact I had to do this video at least ten times until I got something usable.

if you go to the Tempo menu on the hardware (page right from the FS page to the list that includes Tempo), what tempo appears there when you change to the preset? just curious if it's different than what Edit displays.

if you go to the Tempo menu on the hardware (page right from the FS page to the list that includes Tempo), what tempo appears there when you change to the preset? just curious if it's different than what Edit displays.

Funny, as soon as I enter the tempo menu (either by pressing the F3 button on my unit or stepping though the menus using the nav dial) the tempo goes back to the preset defined tempo of 120 bpm.

Tiny little bug I stumbled across in the multidelay 10-tap - when I select "mono" mode it gives me stereo delays and "stereo" repeats come back mono.

Funny, as soon as I enter the tempo menu (either by pressing the F3 button on my unit or stepping though the menus using the nav dial) the tempo goes back to the preset defined tempo of 120 bpm.
Yeah something similar happened with the Axe3 I think. This could clue into the fix.

Can someone confirm that going to the VU level set page shows the Fine Amp level as “Off” until you change it there? I think it’s on preset load or first power up but I’m at the gig and can’t test.

Can someone also remind me how to move the cursors in the GEQ Block? I have it set to 5 Band passive and can’t move it right to grab the 5th band. E isn’t moving it?

Can someone confirm that going to the VU level set page shows the Fine Amp level as “Off” until you change it there?
Confirmed.

Can someone also remind me how to move the cursors in the GEQ Block? I have it set to 5 Band passive and can’t move it right to grab the 5th band. E isn’t moving it?
E works fine here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom