"Pride (In The Name of Love)" Delay

MKeditor

Experienced
Would that be best replicated as the 2290 delay at 418 ms with modulation? Or is there some other secret sauce element to that delay?

Would that be best replicated as the 2290 delay at 418 ms with modulation? Or is there some other secret sauce element to that delay?

That’s the one. I believe it’s 429 ms, then again, depends on the version. You need about 4 repeats with mod. It’s dotted-eighth.

This site will give you the delay times for all the different tours/versions;

http://www.edgewannabe.net/recarchive/main_bpm.html

Yep. Dotted eighth. The actual delay time will depend on what tempo you're playing at. Just setting it to dotted-eighth would be simpler. Then you can tap-tempo to whatever tempo the band is playing at.

Yep. Dotted eighth. The actual delay time will depend on what tempo you're playing at. Just setting it to dotted-eighth would be simpler. Then you can tap-tempo to whatever tempo the band is playing at.

For sure, I see people run into more problem when armed with the knowledge of an exact delay time setting. Its like yeah its exact, but if your band mates aren't playing at the exact tempo its going to sound awful. Better to have a little flexibility with tap tempo and make it match the rest of the group.

Dotted eights at 440ms or 410ms et al., sounds better than 429ms when the timing is off. That is the double edged sword with delays that can be dialed in that exact. They are accurate but not always better than just turning a knob til the tempo sounds "right"

I don’t play in a band, I only ever play to tracks with Larry drumming and he’s never off tempo, so I always use delay times.

I go by delay time, but I do set the BPM and the time division. I’ll usually take the MP3 and run it through MixMeister BPM analyzer to get the actual BPM.
Not sure how that's working. If you're using a fixed delay time in milliseconds, BPM and Time Division are ignored.

Not sure how that's working. If you're using a fixed delay time in milliseconds, BPM and Time Division are ignored.

Poor explanation...let me try that again.

I have the delay times memorized for quite a few U2 songs, which is what I meant...was trying to say when I said, 'I go by delay time'. You are correct though, you either set the BPM or the delay time. So in order to get the time I want, based on the tempo of the song, I enter the BPM and the divisions and the delay time comes up 'automagically'.

In all honesty though, I'm starting to forget most of the delay times because @edo has done all the work for me. I just learn how to play new songs now. :)

That’s the one. I believe it’s 429 ms, then again, depends on the version. You need about 4 repeats with mod. It’s dotted-eighth.

This site will give you the delay times for all the different tours/versions;

http://www.edgewannabe.net/recarchive/main_bpm.html

Thanks. That's a great reference page. He shows the delay 1/4 (566) and a dotted 1/8 (425) and 8th (283). Both 8th and dotted 8th?

Attachments

• 20180630_085024.jpg
    20180630_085024.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Just noticed many of the old songs and newer as well are in Eb. How does he do that live? Switch guitars or keep everything in standard tuning?

Besides the dotted eight delay I thought he also uses dotted eight combined with a 1/4 delay panned to L R a bit. But I am not sure which songs exactly.

His tech will give him the right guitar with the right tuning per song. If he use an Explorer for 2 songs in the set he will have one in Standard and one in Eb. If you see the pages for the live shows (the site that was linked to), you can see what tunings they've used for the various tours. Songs like Streets can be in Eb during one tour and Standard during other tours

Just noticed many of the old songs and newer as well are in Eb. How does he do that live? Switch guitars or keep everything in standard tuning?

Besides the dotted eight delay I thought he also uses dotted eight combined with a 1/4 delay panned to L R a bit. But I am not sure which songs exactly.

Pride has been 1 whole step down since the popmart tour in 1997 now! Different guitars for different tunings, that’s why he has 30+ on tour, including backups for every show guitar.
Also, even when he uses dual delays, they’re in series going into the same amp, so it’s always a mono signal in the end (even when he’s using 2 or 3 amps, they’re all summed in mono), the only stereo signal is the shimmer, on a parall l path, coming from a dedicated af2

I guess you guys have seen this site? http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/streets.html
He goes into a very detailed description on the Edge delays. I have tried some of his settings but I think some of them are wrong. Like Where the streets have no name. he says it is a dual delay with 325 mm (dotted eight) and 523ms (9/32) panned LR.
When I play this both delays sound totally out of sync. So I have no idea how he came up with those delay times....

Last edited:
I guess you guys have seen this site? http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/streets.html
He goes into a very detailed description on the Edge delays. I have tried some of his settings but I think some of them are wrong. Like Where the streets have no name. he says it is a dual delay with 325 mm (dotted eight) and 523ms (9/32) panned LR.
When I play this both delays do you sound totally out of sync. So I have no idea how he came up with those delay times....

The album version of Streets is 2 guitars, both have dotted 8 delay, but they’re playing different rhythms. This yields the general consensus that streets uses stereo delays, it does not. The live version is 125.5 bpm, so exact delay would be 360ms, however until he had the actual 2290 delay in the rig, he would use 365ms (sometimes a couple ms’ off add some extra groove).

Edo

Are your Axe III packs currently in the works?

Not yet. I still have to finish updating the axe fx 2 and ax8 preset packs, and i’m also waiting for the fc to figure out the best way to set up presets / scenes / IA’s for a live scenario

Not yet. I still have to finish updating the axe fx 2 and ax8 preset packs, and i’m also waiting for the fc to figure out the best way to set up presets / scenes / IA’s for a live scenario
Are you going to release the extras pack for the Axe FX II? There's some songs on there I'd love to have a preset for. It also would be cool if you listed what versions of the song the preset is for, or took requests on what version of a song people would like in the pack.

Are you going to release the extras pack for the Axe FX II? There's some songs on there I'd love to have a preset for. It also would be cool if you listed what versions of the song the preset is for, or took requests on what version of a song people would like in the pack.

It’s in the making, i hope to release it by the end of September along with the updates for the elevation and vertigo packs. It’s been a very busy summer touring with the band and the axe has been with the band’s production for the last 3 months, I can’t find the time to tweak on the road.. next week I have the last couple gigs and in September I’ll have my axe back at home to finish up what I started a couple months ago

Back
Top Bottom