Shaping a clean tone

bdrepko

Fractal Fanatic
Last night I was giging and was noticing my clean sound was a little on the thin sounding side. I am currently using the Double Verb Normal model. I am pushing the gain so that there is a little bit of breakup which helps some. I am also cranking up the mids. But it just doesnt hold up well in a live situation. What parameters can I use to make the sound thicker.

I like running the master volume on a clean amp high and bring channel volume up to desired level. To me it adds more body and makes playing on clean channel easier. Also, this is where an rta block will help you. Run the block and look for the frequencies that are lacking and add them accordingly.

I like running the master volume on a clean amp high and bring channel volume up to desired level. To me it adds more body and makes playing on clean channel easier. Also, this is where an rta block will help you. Run the block and look for the frequencies that are lacking and add them accordingly.
The master volume is already on 10.

Try turning the Input Drive down and use a "boost" type Drive block before the amp block (or try the boost types built in to the Amp, although I have not really played much with them yet).

Use the MicroAmp, RCB, SDD or FET Boost. Gain and volume to taste, but play around with the Bass/Treble and/or Tone control in the Drive to pre-EQ the signal.

Just recently I switched from the Double Verb as my clean amp to the Dumble ODS Clean. Sounds quite different, but still very beautiful, but has more balls. Settings are pretty basic, just a little Gain and BMT adjustment.

+1 on the hint to use drive pedals in front. The SDD is brilliant for cleans, I also used it until recently, but wanted to try something new, now I'm using the FET Boost with Klon emulation settings, you'll find some in the wiki.

What IR are you using? I’ve noticed when I use the DVerbs that the IR is important in getting that “Fender” sound. Most other amps I can keep the same IR from clean to dirty but not these. My ears tend to opt for 2x12 or 1x12 combo. I can’t recall which IR I landed on but will post here when I get next to my Axe.

What IR are you using? I’ve noticed when I use the DVerbs that the IR is important in getting that “Fender” sound. Most other amps I can keep the same IR from clean to dirty but not these. My ears tend to opt for 2x12 or 1x12 combo. I can’t recall which IR I landed on but will post here when I get next to my Axe.
I am using an Ownhammer 412MAR CB EVM ir. This is the same IR I use for my heavier sounds. I do like the sound I get with that IR, but I can try some different ones to see if I can get a thicker sound.

I've found that clean tones have a lower perceived volume so I usually adjust them a few dBs higher, using the VU meter, to compensate .

Having the right guitar/pickups is a huge part of getting a great clean tone.

Also, lately, I find myself enjoying an old classic: "DEFINITION" on the PRE-EQ page of the amp block.

I am using an Ownhammer 412MAR CB EVM ir. This is the same IR I use for my heavier sounds. I do like the sound I get with that IR, but I can try some different ones to see if I can get a thicker sound.
I never liked 4X12's for clean sounds. I always use 1x12 IR's and have no problem getting nice, big clean sounds. I use custom mixes mostly of Ownhammer EVM & SRO IR's. There are also a couple of good legacy 1X12 Ir's as well as many new factory 1X12 IR's to explore. My rig for years was a Triaxis- 2:90 rig with 4 1X12 cabs and it sounded huge. Also try the passive 5 band EQ in the amp block. That middle band does wonders for giving an amp a nice, full, musical midrange.

Just sharing what I've experienced.
My experience is, that clean sounds seem to have a lower volume, but only when I play alone, in the band context clean sounds cut through like hell! The VU meter works very well imho. I have all sounds at 0dB +- 1 and they are balanced perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom