How many users are using the Axe III as an Audio Interface?

RainDog

Was on the verge of selling my MOTU Mk4 that I was using with my Axe 2 when I got my Axe 3, but after a few recording sessions, I'm getting glitches when setting the buffer below 256 and after recording multiple tracks. I'm thinking it may be better to keep the my interface and route the Axe into that.

Anyone using the Axe 3 as their only interface?

While the III is a very capable interface, I’ve always felt more comfortable using another interface with Axe gear, if you like your MOTU I’d keep it, and you can always create an aggregate device using both..(at least on Mac..unsure of the PC equivalent.)

i've used the II and III as an interface sometimes, but i prefer an external interface since i use mics and other things anyway.

when i need it, it works well. but for more flexible routing, as with anything, a dedicated interface may be better. it really depends on your needs. if you mostly need to record guitar, possible re-amp, and then playback your computer, then it is great. additional inputs and outputs add flexibility too.

I’ll plug it in via usb for specific purposes but I like having my regular interface which is used for day to day things, hooked to monitors etc

Don’t want to have to boot the Axe just to play music etc

I'm using the AxeFX III as my audio interface.

Essentially, this is how I'm wiring it up:

[Bass] => [AxeFX] => [USB Hub] =>[Macbook Pro].

Inside the AxeFX, I'm routing as such:
[AxeFx:Input 1] => [AxeFx:Output 2] => [Ableton: audio from channels 3 & 4] => [Ableton: Master Channel to channels 7 & 8] => [AxeFX: USB In] => [AxeFx:Output 1] => [Headphones in front jack of the AxeFx]

This weekend I'm gonna go look for a no-frills audio router that will route the AxeFx Output blocks 3 and 4 to USB so I may have more channels in Ableton to play with.

Due to Logic mines not playing ball using it with USB (Axe Edit times out). Ive tried the diff solutions and work about posted but not working for me in hence using my Apogee quartet interface

I prefer not to. Mainly because of the additional CPU use on top of the preset. I use the digital S/PDIF output from the Axe-Fx into a Univeral Audio Apollo or Apollo Twin. I use the USB port only for the software editor. Everything works pretty smoothly this way!

I prefer not to. Mainly because of the additional CPU use on top of the preset. I use the digital S/PDIF output from the Axe-Fx into a Univeral Audio Apollo or Apollo Twin. I use the USB port only for the software editor. Everything works pretty smoothly this way!

The Axe-Fx III USB audio does not add CPU usage. It's handled by a separate processor.

If using the S/PDIF output do you still have the option to reamp? My setup before was to run the outputs to the analog inputs on the interface and use the S/PDIF to record the dry track for reamping. Don't like the extra conversion, but didn't know if S/PDF was capable of multiple outputs.

Side note: Just picked up you naked amp pack for the Axe 3 on Monday. Great job!

If using the S/PDIF output do you still have the option to reamp? My setup before was to run the outputs to the analog inputs on the interface and use the S/PDIF to record the dry track for reamping. Don't like the extra conversion, but didn't know if S/PDF was capable of multiple outputs.

Side note: Just picked up you naked amp pack for the Axe 3 on Monday. Great job!
Thanks!

I only use the Axe-Fx S/PDIF out, not in... never tried it for re-amping. Isn’t that what the USB audio is for, one sends a DI signal only?

I am running Pro Tools | Utimate Software 2018.4 USB on a Macbook Pro (early 2011 with 8g of memory). If you respect the limitations of PT on a older machine that really needs 16g and don't load a bunch of cpu intensive plugins it works fine for me. I have notice after running sessions in PT and exiting PT, if you attempt to load Axe-Fx Edit it hangs attempting to communicate with the Axe-Fx III. I assume this is a PT bug at this point until proven other wise.

I would use it for audio interface duties cus it's probably the better interface I've got. But I plan to use it at home as well as at gigs, and I don't like having an equipment I move in and out as the centerpiece of my home studio setup. I dunno, maybe I'm just too lazy when it's just a few extra cables to plug in :p

Using it with Reaper in Win 10.
Noticing when tracking, the recording is slightly off in time for the overdubs.
I read somewhere here that you need to make an adjustment in your DAW to compensate.
Anyone knows what this is about?

Yes, ESPECIALLY with all the new ins-and-outs. I have an RME I use when I need a couple mic pres. The III is perfect for my needs as an interface.

Yes, ESPECIALLY with all the new ins-and-outs. I have an RME I use when I need a couple mic pres. The III is perfect for my needs as an interface.
I'm having trouble getting Logic to see my incoming audio on INs 2,3 & 4. The meters are showing activity, but my logic tracks aren't getting it.
Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom