BUG: Drive Models in AxeFX III

VittorioAngelo

Inspired
Hello Folks;

I've noticed that there is a bug in the Drive models, for AxeFX III.

The bug is that the Mix knob doesn't function properly. When Mix is set to 0% the Tone, EQ, and Sample Rate control settings are still present at 100% of their values. I would expect that all Drive settings would be reduced by the percentage set on the Mix control.

Thank you,
Vittorio

Hello Folks;

I've noticed that there is a bug in the Drive models, for AxeFX III.

The bug is that the Mix knob doesn't function properly. When Mix is set to 0% the Tone, EQ, and Sample Rate control settings are still present at 100% of their values. I would expect that all Drive settings would be reduced by the percentage set on the Mix control.

Thank you,
Vittorio
The Mix control in the Drive block is different than other blocks.

This is a long standing source of confusion carrying over from the Axe Fx II.

The Mix control in the Drive block is different than other blocks.

This is a long standing source of confusion carrying over from the Axe Fx II.
This is correct... but....

I haven't had a chance to really check out the AxeFx III 'Drive' block 'Mix' parameter yet, but check out the 'Drive' diagram in the Axe-Fx III manual? The diagram is not the same as the Axe-Fx II?? It looks more like the other blocks, as far as how the 'Mix' parameter would work? Is the manual correct? Did the 'Mix' change? Or is the manual incorrect? @Admin M@ ???

Manual is wrong.

The mix control in the Drive block controls the ratio of clean to dirty in the distortion stage. It's not the same as the standard mix control in the other effects.
Good to know. So for instance the high pass filter also affects the clean signal?

@yek :

Given that the Mix doesn't work the same way for Drives as for any other effect....

How would you propose achieving a crossfade-in/crossfade-out effect for a Drive pedal, and then have it trigger appropriately for Scene changes?

I had been thinking that a Scene controller could fade the Drive in or out by changing its Mix from 0% to 1000% with 500ms of Damping.

But when it's on 0%, the result won't really be the same as having it bypassed.

What, then, is the alternative? Multiplex? Pan? or Volume? of some kind?

(It's easy to say, "Put a Drive and a Shunt in parallel with one another, one above the other." Fine...but then how do you blend them in a fashion controlled by the Scene controller, with Damping?)

Whaddaya think?

@yek :

Given that the Mix doesn't work the same way for Drives as for any other effect....

How would you propose achieving a crossfade-in/crossfade-out effect for a Drive pedal, and then have it trigger appropriately for Scene changes?

I had been thinking that a Scene controller could fade the Drive in or out by changing its Mix from 0% to 1000% with 500ms of Damping.

But when it's on 0%, the result won't really be the same as having it bypassed.

What, then, is the alternative? Multiplex? Pan? or Volume? of some kind?

(It's easy to say, "Put a Drive and a Shunt in parallel with one another, one above the other." Fine...but then how do you blend them in a fashion controlled by the Scene controller, with Damping?)

Whaddaya think?
Drive followed by Volume block? Cross fade the volume blocks?

A switch under the 'Mix' knob that switches from the current law 'Drive?' to the standard law 'Thru?' would be nice.??

But you can use a verity of different ways to achieve this. A Volume block in parallel with the Drive block with Scene Controllers on both blocks Levels, going in opposite directions. Or a Shunt in parallel with the Drive block with a Mixer block after with Scene Controllers on the Level faders, going in opposite directions.

I would agree with Dr. Dipwad - I wonder about the reasoning for the drive mix control to operate in such a fashion.

Running the drive block in parallel is fine, but a more nuanced effect may be achieved by providing a Dry/Wet mix as we would find in a DAW with plugins.

That being said, Fractal does provide us with the Mixer block which can be placed after the drive block which could approximate the same functionality.

Back
Top Bottom