Using FX8 as a basic MIDI controller for III

bradlake

Axe-Master
this has been brought up in numerous threads , but I cannot find a definite answer, and more importantly, a step-by step if it can be done ..I would be content with scene and preset control.......pretty please....I have a lifelong MIDI phobia that needs treatment....

Brad:
I too have a fear about midi ,I know how you feel.I have a MFC #3 , all i use it for is scenes and presets. but it has been collecting dust since the AXE FX #3 has arrived.

I'm just gonna wait on the FC-12... Don't feel like jury rigging a different pedal.

It'll probably take me that long to build enough presets to gig anyway. LoL!!!

I haven't tried my FX8, but I have my doubts about really getting it to do what you would need. It might work for calling up presets and scenes, but I haven't used mine in so long I'm not 100% sure. I used to switch channels on my Mesa TC50 using the MIDI program changes attached to each scene, and I think you can send a CC either with or instead of the program change, so you might be able to program some scenes with it.

I picked up one of those Morningstar MC6 to get me by until the FC12 comes out, and it seems to do just enough for what I need to do now. Not exactly full featured, but I really haven't spent a lot of time on programming it either. It's also small enough to use in my cramped "temporary studio" environment.

this has been brought up in numerous threads , but I cannot find a definite answer, and more importantly, a step-by step if it can be done ..I would be content with scene and preset control.......pretty please....I have a lifelong MIDI phobia that needs treatment....
Ok, so I don't have an FX-8 but I just looked at the manual because I was pretty certain it had a midi block.

It does, and it could be used at least a couple different ways, but it would be a little ugly and funky, I think.

The Midi block can send both a PC (program change) and/or a CC (control change) at the time.

If you wanted to access scenes 1-5 of preset 001, do the following:

On Axe Fx III set:

Program Change to ON
Ignore Redundant PC to ON
Midi Channel 1
Scene Select to 34

On the FX-8:

Create 5 presets
Assign 1 preset to 1 button
In each preset, add ONLY the midi block (nothing else needed)
Set CC for Scenes to 34

Each preset will be the same except one thing:

PC# ON 001
PC# OFF none
Midi Channel 1

CC# 34
Midi Channel 1
ON Value 0
OFF Value none

Those settings will select scene 1. For each succeeding preset, add 1... So your values across 5 presets will be: 0,1,2,3,4

Make sure the midi block is ON in each preset.

Last edited:
If you are just triggering scenes I think the Scene change will send both a PC and a CC without including a block, so just set your scenes to send the CC# with the value to call up the appropriate scene. I never needed to use a MIDI block to switch channels on my amp, but I'm sure it sends CCs as well with each scene change.

I think the MIDI block could be used when you want to trigger something without having to change the scene though. I never really found a good use for it to be honest. I just sent MIDI messages with each scene change without using the MIDI block and got everything to work.

Ok, so I don't have an FX-8 but I just looked at the manual because I was pretty certain it had a midi block.

It does, and it could be used at least a couple different ways, but it would be a little ugly and funky, I think.

The Midi block can send both a PC (program change) and/or a CC (control change) at the time.

On Axe Fx III set:

Program Change to ON
Midi Channel 1

On the FX-8:

Create 5 presets
Assign 1 preset to 1 button
In each preset, add ONLY the midi block (nothing else needed
Set CC for Scenes to 34

PC# ON 001
PC# OFF none
Midi Channel 1

CC# 34
Midi Channel 1
ON Value 0
OFF Value none

Those settings will select scene 1. For each succeeding preset, add 1... So your values across 5 presets will be: 0,1,2,3,4

Presumably this would work the same using the midi block on the AX8?

If you are just triggering scenes I think the Scene change will send both a PC and a CC without including a block, so just set your scenes to send the CC# with the value to call up the appropriate scene. I never needed to use a MIDI block to switch channels on my amp, but I'm sure it sends CCs as well with each scene change.

I think the MIDI block could be used when you want to trigger something without having to change the scene though. I never really found a good use for it to be honest. I just sent MIDI messages with each scene change without using the MIDI block and got everything to work.
So are you saying that when you change presets, the FX-8 is sending the same PC on midi out?

I can't imagine why it would send scene changes, as that means nothing to devices other than Fractal... Rather, it might mean something to another device, but not scene changes.

well, Ive Been mucking about with both of your advices and so far, no luck. But thanks to you both for pointing me in some direction...COME ON new FCs!!!!!!!!

On Axe Fx III set:

Program Change to ON
Midi Channel 1

On the FX-8:

Create 5 presets a direction...

PC# ON 001
PC# OFF none
Midi Channel 1

CC# 34
Midi Channel 1
ON Value 0
OFF Value none

well, Ive Been mucking about with both of your advices and so far, no luck. But thanks to you both for pointing me in some direction...COME ON new FCs!!!!!!!!
Maybe start small first?

I'm assuming you have the midi out of FX-8 connected to midi in of Axe Fx III?

Also, I forgot something: you need to set the CC for Scene control on the Axe Fx III to be 34. I'll edit my previous post to reflect that.

When you have the 2 devices cabled up and you press a preset switch on the FX-8, does the midi light on the Axe Fx flash?

If so, we are at least getting midi... If not, something isn't right.

Maybe start small first?

I'm assuming you have the midi out of FX-8 connected to midi in of Axe Fx III?

Also, I forgot something: you need to set the CC for Scene control on the Axe Fx III to be 34. I'll edit my previous post to reflect that.

When you have the 2 devices cabled up and you press a preset switch on the FX-8, does the midi light on the Axe Fx flash?

If so, we are at least getting midi... If not, something isn't right.
SUCCESS!!!!!!
thanx.

Just saw this in the manual:

A4C1206C-98B7-4974-836B-742A1B7C08A3.jpeg

So, you are correct that the preset change will be sent automatically based on the FX-8 preset number. But Scene changes will not be sent unless done by the midi block.

Cool!

See my last post regarding preset change... You probably want to adjust based on the, otherwise you could be sending multiple preset changes.
no, for now I created one preset that contains 8 scenes each assigned to a stomp. works perfectly and for my modest needs, the preset change is really unnecessary at the moment...Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 11.55.52 AM.png

Cool!

See my last post regarding preset change... You probably want to adjust based on that, otherwise you could be sending multiple preset changes.
Actually, nevermind - I forgot that we want to stay on the same preset and select scenes... So we would not want to "follow" FX-8 preset numbers.

no, for now I created one preset that contains 8 scenes each assigned to a stomp. works perfectly and for my modest needs, the preset change is really unnecessary at the moment...View attachment 48234
So the midi block allows for different values on each FX-8 scene?

Per my previous post, the Preset Change should follow the FX-8 preset number... But only presets 0-127.

So the midi block allows for different values on each FX-8 scene?

Per my previous post, the Preset Change should follow the FX-8 preset number... But only presets 0-127.
no midi block needed or present in this preset.. can all be done in the config and footswitch menus in FX8 Edit...very cool indeed..I will experiment with it later prolly and see whats up..

Back
Top Bottom