MIDI Makes My Brain Owie

H13

Inspired
Alright alright alright alright.

So I'm running one of these things:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MFC10--yamaha-mfc10

And I want to mimic channel switching between a clean\dirty amp. It only needs to go between Clean\Dirty, not Clean\Spanky\Dirty\Metal\Screaming\The Fuck Are You Doing presets so it SEEMS fairly simple.

Basically: It's a gain boost on\off. However I want to boost the gain on the amp, not by using a pedal. Sometimes I might want to switch to the jumped version of that amp (EG: JTM45 Clean -> Jumped for dirty) or whatever. Long story short: I want clean\dirty amp settings.

The way I currently have things set up on that MFC:
Buttons 1-5 change presets. (Changing CC value?)
Buttons 6-10 turn on\off effect blocks within said preset. (The other one?)

Here's what I want to happen:

Button 1-5: Choose what amp I want. EG:
1) Fender
2) Marshall
3) Vox
4) Stupid Metal Fun Times
5) -BLANK \ MUTE -

Button 6-10: Fun Stuff
6) Clean\Dirty
7) Octaver
8) Delay
9) Reverb
10) -BLANK-

Now I can use scenes 1 and 2 to make a clean Fender\Dirty Fender noise etc. What I would like to do is find a way to quickly switch back and forth between scene 1 and 2 without changing said preset.

I do have a blank button on both rows, so if one button has to be assigned to scene up, and another one scene down, that's workable, but I'd prefer to be able to make an on\off button if possible.

I've gone through the I\O menu and my brain now hurts and I'm pretty awful at Midi. Any assistance here would be welcome :)

Does that controller allow for defining the data value for CCs?

If so, set the CC to 34 and the OFF value to 1 and the ON value to 0.

Then, pressing that button the first time (on) will change to scene 1 and pressing it again (off) will change to scene 2.

Reactions: H13
Does that controller allow for defining the data value for CCs?

If so, set the CC to 34 and the OFF value to 1 and the ON value to 0.

Then, pressing that button the first time (on) will change to scene 1 and pressing it again (off) will change to scene 2.

I appreciate your response, but...I have no idea.

I use this FC pretty damn straightforward. Button 1 is set to Preset <X>, Button 2 is set to Preset <Y> etc.

So to make sure I've understood you correctly, I should see if I can set CC34 to button 5?

https://jp.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/5/317935/MFC10E.pdf

I found the manual if that helps anybody! It might as well be in Dutch for all the good it does me though...
Well, I'm fairly comfortable with midi, but that manual is very confusing.

What you need to do is to use the "function" mode to send the "Control Change" (CC) for scenes (default CC on the Axe Fx II is 34).

You select scenes by sending a data value for the CC number.

Scene 1 == 0
Scene 2 == 1
Scene 3 == 2
Etc

Page 13 of the manual has this table:

5B222DE3-B36D-4DB3-A69D-425AC12068F0.jpeg

What I think this is saying is that to do what I described in my previous post, you would define a Function Memory location by setting:

DATA/CTRL to 34 (Control Number)
BANK MSB/MAX to 0 (Switch On Data)
BANK LSB/MIN TO 1 (Switch Off Data)

I'm sure if I had it in front of me I could make it work, but this is about the best I can do.

Hopefully it helps?

Well, I'm fairly comfortable with midi, but that manual is very confusing.

What you need to do is to use the "function" mode to send the "Control Change" (CC) for scenes (default CC on the Axe Fx II is 34).

You select scenes by sending a data value for the CC number.

Scene 1 == 0
Scene 2 == 1
Scene 3 == 2
Etc

Page 13 of the manual has this table:

View attachment 48209

What I think this is saying is that to do what I described in my previous post, you would define a Function Memory location by setting:

DATA/CTRL to 34 (Control Number)
BANK MSB/MAX to 0 (Switch On Data)
BANK LSB/MIN TO 1 (Switch Off Data)

I'm sure if I had it in front of me I could make it work, but this is about the best I can do.

Hopefully it helps?

I THINK I understand what you're talking about.

Since we're dealing with CC I'll have to use Button 5 (which is blank and all good)

So I set Button 5 to CC34, with BANK MSB = 0 and BANK LSB to 1.

(Note: I have no understanding as to what BANK MSB means and I'll be attempting this as we talk :) )

I THINK I understand what you're talking about.

Since we're dealing with CC I'll have to use Button 5 (which is blank and all good)

So I set Button 5 to CC34, with BANK MSB = 0 and BANK LSB to 1.

(Note: I have no understanding as to what BANK MSB means and I'll be attempting this as we talk :) )
Those labels are for when you are using PGM mode (PCs / Preset Changes).

Note that each field in the table has 2 names:

These are for PCs:

DATA
BANK MSB
BANK LSB

These are for CCs:

CTRL
MAX
MIN

Those labels are for when you are using PGM mode (PCs / Preset Changes).

Note that each field in the table has 2 names:

These are for PCs:

DATA
BANK MSB
BANK LSB

These are for CCs:

CTRL
MAX
MIN

Okay, we have some success.

I managed to get button 5 to set the CC Value to 34.

The only problem is that it's changing to preset #34 :(

Unless I work with the Function Control?

HA!

Got it. You were spot on with it. I just needed that bit of help deciphering the manual.

Yay! Happy days. :D

Yes! Just go for it. If you muck it up you can go to page 26 and initialize and return everything back to square one. Learning sometimes just takes time and effort.
That is a confusing manual though. Good luck!

HA!

Got it. You were spot on with it. I just needed that bit of help deciphering the manual.

Yay! Happy days. :D
It helps to have a firm grasp on what the "generic" process is... Then figure out how to apply it to a particular device.

Glad it's working!

You aren't forced to use scenes 1 and 2 for this... Scenes 1 and 8 work perfectly fine in the same way, with the advantage being that they are selected by values of 0 and 127.

You aren't forced to use scenes 1 and 2 for this... Scenes 1 and 8 work perfectly fine in the same way, with the advantage being that they are selected by values of 0 and 127.
Yeah... I thought about suggesting that, but since the controller supports it and there didn't appear to be a simple CC "toggle" it was the same amount of effort. :)

Back
Top Bottom