Profiling. Is it in the future for the AFIII?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not how patents work. One can do the same thing without trespassing upon the specifics of a patent.

All combustion sedans have an engine. You can bet your ass they all of plenty of engine patents and yet somehow they all create engines that do the same thing in the same way: press the gas, it revs up. Granted the US patent system wrt software is completely fucked (round corners on buttons Apple? cmon) but same principals apply.

I had the Kemper, too, and loved it, but you can do so much more tweaking your tone with Axe, and even Helix...
More complex effects chains layouts, too. Now I don't spend half my time and extra money chasing down tons of pro
grade profiles anymore. LoL!

As others have said, get a Kemper. Totally different product. I don't want or need profiling. If I did, I would...you guessed it...get a Kemper. And this should be in the Wish List section. Wish: Axe-FX should be a Kemper.

I think you're missing the point. Having a similar capability eliminates the decision making process entirely.

If there wasn’t differentiation in the market why would we need competing brands ?

If one product did anything and everything then we’d all just have that one product.

Why do we need Honda, Toyota, Ford etc, it requires a decision making process. Do we really want everyone driving the exact same car, in the exact same color ?

Why own a bunch of different guitars, if only we could have one model that can change scale, cool tap pickups, split coils, move positions, change bridge type etc. no more decision on what’s to buy.... well I for one thing owning as many different guitars as possible is a fun thing.

Choice is a good thing folks. Different brands each specializing in a given technolgy is a good thing. It lets us choose what best fits our needs and budgets.

People have gotten a little crazy with wish’s IMO. It’s like they want one unit to have every model of every amp ever made, along with every effect pedal etc. they want the exact algorithms Strymon uses, Eventide use, Digitech uses etc. They want the modeling technology and UI of the competition, throw in a KPA too while we are at it. Heck, the synth block isn’t a good as a stand alone keyboard, I think they should be improved too, don’t you? Virtual analog subtractive polyphonic synth stuff should be doable, the III has more cpu than most any keyboard on the market, why dont we have a better synth block?

Basically the III should do anything and everything better than anything else in the market, and while we are wishing, it should also be $1000 less expensive, and in more plentiful stock. Plus the foot controller should of come out 3 months ago, and should only be $299

Do like I do....buy both units....they are different enough for it not to be redundant. Every product doesn't have to be an all you can eat buffet:cool:

I regard the Wish List as a means to suggest new features within the scope of the product, not as a means to suggest the Axe becoming another product of an entirely different paradigm; legal issues aside.

I don't think it's bad to put 'profiling' on the wish list.
Yes they are 2 different approaches, but why not have both in one unit?
Tech is taking leaps and bounds every day and combining functionalities into single units (remember when a TomTom was where you would go for a GPS?). Think about how many tech solutions have been stuffed into your phone or tablet.
I would love to see profiling in the Axe.

I am a Fractal fan boy...Ultra, Axe 2, AX8, AxeIII. I have gigged exclusively with the Axe for years.
However I tried Kemper last week with some MBritt profiles and was shocked at how much I liked it.
It had some nuances that the Axe does not....and the Axe has many capabilities that the Kemper does not.
Let's stuff them all into one unit!!!

All combustion sedans have an engine. You can bet your ass they all of plenty of engine patents and yet somehow they all create engines that do the same thing in the same way: press the gas, it revs up. Granted the US patent system wrt software is completely fucked (round corners on buttons Apple? cmon) but same principals apply.
I doubt any of these tiny non-public companies are interested in a long drawn out lawsuit proving their implementation did not violate someone else's patent with their implementation. The reward has to be very large to merit that sort of clean room approach to cloning another product. The music industry is tiny; the ROI on trying to do this would not merit it and could drive a company like Fractal which is doing just fine, thank you, out of business.

If there wasn’t differentiation in the market why would we need competing brands ?

If one product did anything and everything then we’d all just have that one product.

Why do we need Honda, Toyota, Ford etc, it requires a decision making process. Do we really want everyone driving the exact same car, in the exact same color ?

Why own a bunch of different guitars, if only we could have one model that can change scale, cool tap pickups, split coils, move positions, change bridge type etc. no more decision on what’s to buy.... well I for one thing owning as many different guitars as possible is a fun thing.

Choice is a good thing folks. Different brands each specializing in a given technolgy is a good thing. It lets us choose what best fits our needs and budgets.

People have gotten a little crazy with wish’s IMO. It’s like they want one unit to have every model of every amp ever made, along with every effect pedal etc. they want the exact algorithms Strymon uses, Eventide use, Digitech uses etc. They want the modeling technology and UI of the competition, throw in a KPA too while we are at it. Heck, the synth block isn’t a good as a stand alone keyboard, I think they should be improved too, don’t you? Virtual analog subtractive polyphonic synth stuff should be doable, the III has more cpu than most any keyboard on the market, why dont we have a better synth block?

Basically the III should do anything and everything better than anything else in the market, and while we are wishing, it should also be $1000 less expensive, and in more plentiful stock. Plus the foot controller should of come out 3 months ago, and should only be $299

That's quite the strawman. By that measure the Axe shouldn't offer ANY amp or pedal models because they're available elsewhere. I'm pretty sure OP was asking for an easy method to cop tones like the KPA has. Don't think they were asking for anything else. Nobody on this thread is asking for an entire consolidation of features from KPA. Anytime someone says profile on this forum everyone jumps to conclusions and gets all defensive. My point was to say that FAS could operate in their current design by giving the user an OPTION to do tonematch via a new easier to use process. This allows them to move more units to a group of users who would choose KPA over FAS for the specific reason that it's very easy to copy tones on KPA. It's not saying "dump current tone match", it's saying "give a new GUI to do the same tone matching."

There is pretty much one sole reason why someone chooses KPA over FAS today, and that's profiling because they made it 'easy'. You provide something similar in FAS and it becomes a much easier sell for FAS. We're not talking communist USSR here giving everyone the same thing, we're talking about eliminating a potential customers reasons for going elsewhere. There's absolutely no reason why FAS wouldn't want to sell an Axe over a customer going elsewhere. Choice might be good for you, but a business wants to move units. Period.

Last edited:
I was curious if the Helix LT was better than the AX2. So I bought one and after messing around with it for 4 months I concluded that it’s a good value for the price but not for me. I wanted to have both units side by side and only trust my own ears. It was an expensive experiment.

Then I see guys like Ben Eller and Pete Thorn rocking a Kemper and think maybe they know something I don’t. Then I plug into the Axe3 and think that while a Kemper might be cool for comparison sake I can’t imagine it besting an Axe3.

So I can’t imagine someone wanting Kemper profiling functionality on an Axe. If you already have a Kemper and it rocks your world then your set. Why change if you like its tone?

If you’ve got the funds to buy an Axe3 and Kemper then which do you use most? Which did you sell?

Having an Axe3 and trying a Helix pretty much cured my GAS for the Kemper. Camilo’s recordings on this forum are convincing enough for me. My real tube amps are good but not better than the Axe3. And I don’t want to blow more money on MBritt profiles.

Oh and I shouldn’t leave out Burgs and Mark Day’s recordings on the Axe3. Pretty sure I don’t want profiling, but I do want 1/10th of their skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom