FX8 MK2 with Mesa Boogie MK4....

And not to beat a dead horse too much, the default when set to FT.SW. is Lead channel with the EQ engaged. You don't need the FX8 hooked up to test this, just unplug any footswitches and turn the knob to FT.SW. and the Lead channel with EQ will be what you have

has anyone tried the FX-8 relays with a Mesa TC-50 ? Mine comes Wed and i'd like to be able to do some of the 6 functions if possible....do I need special cables?

I use to use relays with my Mark V. Now, I use MIDI with my TC-50. 1 MIDI cable and all your switching is taken care of. Works flawlessly.

I use to use relays with my Mark V. Now, I use MIDI with my TC-50. 1 MIDI cable and all your switching is taken care of. Works flawlessly.

which midi cable do I use? I have several in the huse aside from the midi cable used on the Mesa tc controller....and if its 1 cable where does it plug in on the TC 50....cheers, so excited

Standard 5 pin MIDI cable. MIDI IN on the TC-50, MIDI OUT ON the FX8. Read the TC-50 manual to assign the MIDI channels for the FX8. Then, use FX-edit ->Config -> MIDI PC tabs to set your PC MIDI messages which change the channels/reverb/solo/Effects Loop.

Standard 5 pin MIDI cable. MIDI IN on the TC-50, MIDI OUT ON the FX8. Read the TC-50 manual to assign the MIDI channels for the FX8. Then, use FX-edit ->Config -> MIDI PC tabs to set your PC MIDI messages which change the channels/reverb/solo/Effects Loop.

Thanks abunch….wow, can't wait ….I may finally have it all together for once, lol

I just plug into the Normal Loop on mine and everything is good to go. If I plug into the switchable loop as long as I have it turned on everything is good to go.
On the B there should be a switch to choose between Normal Loop and Switchable. Set it to on all the time for normal. Then you should be good to go.
There are also the toggle switches that assign the loop to the different channels in the switchable loop, that auto selects the loop to be on for different channels.
You could read the MK IV manual about the loop section to see if it helps.
Double check the FX8 on how it is set to pass your audio as well. Hope this gets you going!
Have you got the fractal setup for 4CM?

OK its here, im still a bit not sure what to do. Im kinda slow so I need steps to feel safe. I read in the book not to put my fs into the 5 pin if im using the midi, so I understand that. I'd like to set this up so when I hit a switch my effects and amps channels coinside with each other. Is this what the cc commands are about. I'll be using the 4 cable method and have that part setup already. Also if im using the 4 cable method will the pre and post presets work or will they sound terrible. Trying to gasp the whole concept as well as setting up the midi with both amp and

Last edited:
I think you need to go through both the FX8 manual to make sure you are connecting everything correctly. All the information is there. There is a quick setup guide that shows the 4cm hookup. Take it step by step and you'll get it working.

Thanks...yes im thinking its wiring as well. I now have it hooked up and i'm getting sound but very few effects. Think i'll switch the send return see if that it. Some presets I heard some mod pedals and some I didn't (made sure they were lit on the FX-8) the drives were always present though. As far as th midi part, I;'ll read more up on that. Thanks for your help

ok today we are trying to do the midi thing with a MESA TC=50 and FX-8 …… I see it starts with using a 5 pin midi cable as Bob stated above. Do you have to manually set up all the cc settings, should I use fx-8 editor, whats the easiest way

ok today we are trying to do the midi thing with a MESA TC=50 and FX-8 …… I see it starts with using a 5 pin midi cable as Bob stated above. Do you have to manually set up all the cc settings, should I use fx-8 editor, whats the easiest way

MIDI with the TC50 is really easy and switches so fast. Connect the cable to "MIDI out" of the FX8 > "MIDI in" on the TC50. I use the FX8 Edit software to set up my patches and the channel switching for each scene under "Config > MIDI PC"

Just reference the TC50 manual for the PC# to use depending on the amp channel/function you want. I set my patches up with the effects loop on at all times in 4 cable method. So Channel 1 = PC# 17, Channel 2 = PC# 7, Channel 3 = PC# 12

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 9.43.07 AM.png

Here is a link to a thread I replied to about the MIDI channel switching with FX8 Edit screenshots.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...b-and-fx-8-midi-question.138464/#post-1641879

Here is a link to a patch I made that switches between Channel 1 and Channel 3 in it if you want to mess around with it instead of starting from scratch.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/metallica-load-reload.135373/

k so I looked at your above diagram and the 0's I have no idea, does that mean your using the clean channel? Also are you just putting in the amps pc #'s in this diagram? Im looking at the manual from my mesa tc50 and their showing the number 20 as the clean channel so im a bit confused. Also the Mesa book states to use the cc changes if you want all your basic amps features to work as in reverb, loop, solo etc. Real confusing. Another question is every preset needs these cc or pc numbers. I was thinking maybe its a global thing once you enter cc or pc command, so each time you have a phaser on or off it would read it. Guess its every preset has to be set up?

The diagram is a screenshot straight from the Mesa TC50 manual. The "User Memory/Preset Number" column is MIDI PC# for that specific combination. The "0's" are what is turned on for if you use any of the #'s in the PC value.

For example:
If you want just Channel 1 on the amp, no FX loop, Reverb, or Solo functions on, you can use the PC# 1, 16, 31, 46, 61, 76, 91, 106, 121, 136, 151, 166, 181, 196, 211, 226, 241, or 256. These are all factory settings that exist in the TC50 already.

If you use a PC# value of "20", it is Channel 1, with the Reverb, and Solo on.

In FX8-Edit under the "Config" tab then the MIDI PC section, you will see the PC values for each Scene. If you just click the arrows you can watch the amp selection change in real time, try it.

Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 1.06.15 PM.PNG

The way I set up my FX8 is with Scenes. For example:
Scene 1: Using PC#17 my amp is on Channel 1 with the effects loop on. I set up the effects on my FX8 to have a Phaser on before the front of the amp, and a Delay on in the effects loop of the amp. As long as I stay on this Scene I can toggle whatever effects on or off I have in the Preset.

I like to press 1 button and have effects turn on or off, and the channel on my amp change. I'm not a big fan of using my FX8 like a bung of pedals and tap dancing to turn them on or off. If I used it that way, I would just have a couple of pedals, and use the amp footswitch that came with my head.

Every Preset will need the PC#'s in the "Config" tab to change the functions on your amp. Fortunately you can copy a Preset to a new slot and have those already done, then just add the effects in the order you want them and start playing.

Thanks for explaining again to me...I will def give it a go tomorrow. Tonight I made my first preset with no extra scene yet. I' like to make it into like 5 or so scenes so I can too turn on off certain effects and press one switch (dream come true, lol)….I eve did a few y states tonight as well as different wah types, I was on a roll....cheers again Pete

will I blow anything up if I use the wrong pc # ? I want no amp reverb. I want fx loop on all the time in 4 cable method. Solo will be on my last scene once I create it. I'll be trying it in a few. Still not comprehending the # values. Your using pc#s only, correct no cc #'s

Yes, I only use PC#s, no CC values.

No, you won't blow anything up. The only potential level thing is if you have a Drive Block set up with the level at maximum on it to tighten up a distorted channel (Drive at 0, Level at 10) and switch to the clean channel without disabling the Drive Block, but it would do that with a regular pedal too.

Back
Top Bottom