[fixed] New Axe-Fx III - no input level, no sound

mcmurray

Inspired
Guitar is plugged into the front instrument input, and headphones. I've tried 2 different cables and I can't get any input indication (both LEDs and Meters display), and therefore no sound. Tried resetting to factory settings. Settings look to be good. Anyone have suggestions on what to try?

Have tried the rear instrument input also.

Firmware: 1.10

Thanks

- Do you use a regular (mono) guitar cable?
- Are you sure the guitar is connected to the instrument input, not headphones (seriously, this has happened)
- Active guitar: is the battery not dead?
- Are you using a factory preset?
- Output 1 needs to be turned up for headphones.
- Check the Cab block: can you see the Factory bank cabs?

I'll check. Just updating the firmware now.

With the first factory preset, the output Out 1 is hovering around 0 in the ADC page, numbers were moving so I think the issue is on the input side. Will get back to you shortly.

I'll check. Just updating the firmware now.

With the first factory preset, the output Out 1 is hovering around 0 in the ADC page, numbers were moving so I think the issue is on the input side. Will get back to you shortly.
That means the Out 1 knob is turned all the way down. Turn it up.

We Probably need more info....
Did you check the settings in the I/O menu ON the unit? Input 1 needs to be on analog
Can you view stock cabs to confirm proper installation.?
Assuming you are working with factory presets ..right?
You can create a new preset with nothing but Input 1 block, shunts and Output 1 block...to confirm throughput
Of signal
Check input block gate levels
I’m sure others willing chime in
Good luck

It's at 1.12 now, have tried 2 different guitars and cables.

To answer yek's questions:
- Do you use a regular (mono) guitar cable? Yes, have tried two different cables.
- Are you sure the guitar is connected to the instrument input, not headphones (seriously, this has happened). I'm sure.
- Active guitar: is the battery not dead? Passive pickups.
- Are you using a factory preset? Yes, the first one.
- Output 1 needs to be turned up for headphones. Output 1 wide open, nothing in the headphones, nothing on the input level meters.
- Check the Cab block: can you see the Factory bank cabs? Not sure what you mean by this.

Try plugging your guitar into the rear instrument input. It sounds like the cable from the input/phones board to the mainboard might have popped off.

Try plugging your guitar into the rear instrument input. It sounds like the cable from the input/phones board to the mainboard might have popped off.

I just tried that again, and every other input. No input levels are showing unfortunately.

OMG - I don't have advice - but I feel your pain. Are you ok to open the top and see if that connector has popped off?

In particular - Standing at the back of the unit, with the top off - In the middle of the unit at the front there is a wide ribbon cable - To the right of that there's another ribbon cable - Also on the left hand side, there's a little input board that houses the instrument and headphone jack - There's a ribbon cable from that.. My money's on the cable that's on the front in the middle but what would I know? :)

Hope it's a simple fix
Pauly

Last edited:
Yes. Sounds like the unit got damaged in shipping.

That's what I was thinking. Box looked ok but these things happen. I'll send it back to Independent on Monday if I don't have any luck in the mean time.

On another note, does anyone know how to force Mac OS to send audio output to USB channels 5 and 6? I have another audio interface that can take the guitar signal input and route it to the Axe Fx. Mac sound options only give me one choice of output.

That's what I was thinking. Box looked ok but these things happen. I'll send it back to Independent on Monday if I don't have any luck in the mean time.

On another note, does anyone know how to force Mac OS to send audio output to USB channels 5 and 6? I have another audio interface that can take the guitar signal input and route it to the Axe Fx. Mac sound options only give me one choice of output.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht202000

Nevermind I managed to route it through logic. At least I can play guitar through this thing for the weekend :)

SPDIF input doesn't seem to be working.

If Input 1 Source is set to SPDIF, should I be seeing activity on the INST meter (Analog In)?

Back
Top Bottom