Firmware 1.11

I just received my glorious Axe-FX III and fired it up. The first thing I checked was the firmware version, which is 1.11 from June 17, 2018.

I'm curious as to the release notes for this version. Anything important?
...you got it before we have, afaik.

Also, Fractal should thank AlGrenadene for his Fractool converter, without which this purchase would not have happened. Donation to follow as soon as my next paycheck comes in.

You would have succumbed eventually. ;)

Seriously, though, that converter tool is amazing. I was happy with just the pdf preset settings export.

Been playing the presets for about 20 minutes. Holy shitballs!!!!!!!

What struck me first was the clarity of the attack and separation of notes in chords. The note attack is astounding. What struck me second was the improved "grain" (for lack of a better word) in the distortion. Grittier, yet more refined and complex at the same time. This is light years beyond the Ultra and a definite improvement over the II. What struck me third is the quality of the reverb. Again, holy shitballs!!!!

And I'm only 20 minutes in. Wow. I'm impressed.

Edit: 25 minutes in and I'm in pinch harmonic heaven. Amazing.

Edit: Pitch detector is noticeably faster. Fast intelligent harmony trills sound great.

Last edited:
Pretty much the reaction everyone has when they actually play it. So many naysayers on forums saying it didn’t sound different on clips and the II was already so good, how much better could it get, but then it’s like you plug in and play the thing thing and it’s like bam!, “my guitar has never sounded this good”. Not just best modeler tone, but best tone of any gear period. The clarity, the detail, the note separation, the dynamics, the lushness of the reverb, it’s all just exceptional.

As for release notes, can’t help you as the rest of us are still in 1.10, which is the latest released as far as I’m aware, though sounds like maybe 1.11 will be dropping “soon”

Pretty much the reaction everyone has when they actually play it. So many naysayers on forums saying it didn’t sound different on clips and the II was already so good, how much better could it get, but then it’s like you plug in and play the thing thing and it’s like bam!, “my guitar has never sounded this good”. Not just best modeler tone, but best tone of any gear period. The clarity, the detail, the note separation, the dynamics, the lushness of the reverb, it’s all just exceptional.

As for release notes, can’t help you as the rest of us are still in 1.10, which is the latest released as far as I’m aware, though sounds like maybe 1.11 will be dropping “soon”

Yeah, it reminds of watching Steve Vai and how he is so smooth and fluid sounding. There is no way I could compare myself to him but I feel Like I have that smooth note fluidity to my playing that I didn't get on the II or AX8.

I just received my glorious Axe-FX III and fired it up. The first thing I checked was the firmware version, which is 1.11 from June 17, 2018.

I'm curious as to the release notes for this version. Anything important?

No idea what's in it because it hasn't released to us yet! Mine shipped on June 14 and had 1.09 on it. Two updates in 3 days is pretty impressive. :)

Also, Fractal should thank AlGrenadene for his Fractool converter, without which this purchase would not have happened. Donation to follow as soon as my next paycheck comes in.
Hey @steadystate, Just so you know. Currently if you are converting a complex preset (I know this applies to you;)), You will still have to go over every parameter in every block in every preset to make sure.

Some errors that you will encounter are...Controller assignments, the Multi-Comp, Pitch, and Multi-Delay blocks to name a few.

I'm sure the Al will zero in on these bugs over time.

Hey @steadystate, Just so you know. Currently if you are converting a complex preset (I know this applies to you;)), You will still have to go over every parameter in every block in every preset to make sure.

Some errors that you will encounter are...Controller assignments, the Multi-Comp, Pitch, and Multi-Delay blocks to name a few.

I'm not going to convert my II presets for a while. But the mere existence of Fractool's III conversion, along with preliminary testimonials from users, was enough for me to purchase the III. Even as is, the app will save a tremendous amount of time. By the time I'm ready to convert, I'm sure it will be even better. I encourage all who use it to donate generously. For me, it is every bit as important as Axe-Edit III.

I'm not going to convert my II presets for a while. But the mere existence of Fractool's III conversion, along with preliminary testimonials from users, was enough for me to purchase the III. Even as is, the app will save a tremendous amount of time. By the time I'm ready to convert, I'm sure it will be even better. I encourage all who use it to donate generously. For me, it is every bit as important as Axe-Edit III.

Oh definitely !

I converted a few tonight but ALWAYS - this is not hyperbole - get stuck for a long time with whatever preset I just converted. Tonight an HBE preset I converted had me grinning for 2 hours and I added almost all of the Friedman’s via channels into the same preset.

We live in great times for guitar, folks.

I did an experiment a couple of days ago. I got on real amp jag and have a Bogner Atma and Mesa Mark V 25, both of which are great 20ish watt amps. I played around with them both for a while, getting some very satisfying clean to mid gain tones into an Allen 2-10 cab with Weber alnicos. I recently got a used Fryette Power Station, so I hooked the Axe III to the Power Station and cab, fired up a few basic presets, killed the cabs and preceded to get at least as good a sound and in most cases better (partly due to the increased headroom of Fryette Power Station) than the Mesa or Bogner had gotten.

It had been a while since I’d done any kind of direct comparision, but it really blew my mind, happily. One thing I noticed was that whatever type sound I’d go for on the real amp, the Axe Fx could get me quickly in the ballpark, but then give me a level of tweakability and control within that tone that I found hard to get with the real amp. I’m not talking deep amp parameters, but things like dialable bright cap and the boost feature within the amp (which I’m growing to really love). The Mesa Mark IIC+ sound on the Mesa amp is great, but I liked it even better on the Axe. Crazy, huh? Not really I guess to those that have been here a while. Sometimes I have to be reawaken to the greatness of the tone.

Did you share with @AlGrenadine the bugs you’ve found? I’ve shared the issues I’ve found in my presets which Al fixed instantly resulting in a more stable version!
That way we all improve the FracTool conversion to the III and benefit from this great tool!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom