Need Help: A Consideration For The Axe Preset Exchange

Brian Greco

Inspired
Helloooooo everyone,

I have been very busy making heavy metal presets lately. I would like to upload them to Axe Exchange when I'm finished, but I noticed that one of the presets has a cabinet that comes from Redwirez, and is not included in the Axe FX library as a stock cabinet. My concern is that if a user uploads the file and they don't have that exact cabinet in there library, the entire tone will change.

Is my thinking correct on this? If so, would I need to convert my .syx file (the preset) into a .wav file and then back to a .syx file again so everything is in there?

Thank you for your guidance.

When sharing presets I always throw in a stock cab with a note that it was made/designed with a specific cab...just pick something close and let folks know!

When sharing presets I always throw in a stock cab with a note that it was made/designed with a specific cab...just pick something close and let folks know!
Thanks for your reply, sskkm. If I do that, it will definitely compromise the sound and most of all the settings will have to be re-tweaked,
which as you know will take a very long time . I wish there were another way around this.

Just about everyone will have to tweak somewhat anyway - they don't have the same guitar, monitors, fingers, or anything else as you do. So like sskkmm said, just replace with a cab that's close and add a note.

Just about everyone will have to tweak somewhat anyway - they don't have the same guitar, monitors, fingers, or anything else as you do. So like sskkmm said, just replace with a cab that's close and add a note.
Yes, I guess you guys are right. Once you said, ‘everyone will have to tweak anyway,’ it made sense.
Thank you sskm and jefferski for your guidance on this matter.

You guys rock :cool:

Heh. Not a problem. I can just tell you that by far most of the presets on the 'change don't work for me out of the box - different guitars, different touch...

I liken it to the fact that I could send you my amp and pedalboard - all set and tweaked for a song - and it prob won't be more than 30 sec and you would be reaching for a knob on a pedal or on the amp... ;)

Heh. Not a problem. I can just tell you that by far most of the presets on the 'change don't work for me out of the box - different guitars, different touch...

I liken it to the fact that I could send you my amp and pedalboard - all set and tweaked for a song - and it prob won't be more than 30 sec and you would be reaching for a knob on a pedal or on the amp... ;)

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same. When I first got the AXE FX II, I expected the presets for the popular amps to be more spot on. I guess I just got this idea from looking at YouTube over and over again. LOL
I had no idea that I’d be doing this much tweaking, but I don’t mind right now. It becomes an art after a while, I hope I just don’t get sick of it. LOL

Yeah, you’re probably right. If you did send me your set up, I might start tweaking little things here and there. Good point. My hope is that the presets I post at least translate well when I downloaded by other users.

Yesterday, I went to town and bought $65 worth of IRs. I had a good amount already, but I wanted some higher quality ones that had similar characteristics to the real cabs . After intensely reviewing IRs for a week, I actually ended up going with 3 Sigma Audio. As you know, there are so many companies out there, but I want to stick to the well-known ones. Two of Rosen Digitals’ main guys are now at 3SA, so those were some points for 3SA. I have the Red Wirez Big Box for a couple of years now, but I’m not so happy with it when used with the Axe Fx. I also have several expansive packs from other companies, but my IR journey officially ends with 3SA’s version of the Bogner Uberkab 412, Engl 412, EVH 5150 III 412, Friedman 412, Laney 412 and Zilla 412. The metal classics. Although I have some Mesa IRs already, I am MAY pick up the Mesa Oversized Rec 412, but I’m not sure. You do get a 20% discount if you buy six or more packs from 3SA, which is pretty cool.

Anyway, I guess this brings me to my point which is that I’ll probably be uploading less and less stuff to the exchange because I’ll be using more impulse responses. I will try though to use the stock cabinets and he EQ them the best I can so I can post a few presets every now and then.

Hmm... excellent! Thank you very much, Birdy. Funny you mentioned the tone match. Tonight will be my first time using it. I’m trying to get the Engl Savage 120 tone that Exodus uses on Exhibit B: The human condition album. I constructed an amp as close as I could to their guitar tone and I’m hoping the tone match pulls through on this one.

It would be cool if the tone match worked for what you suggested as well. My hope that it would be close to spot on even if I needed to do some tweaking. I’ll give it a shot because I really want to contribute some of the towns I made to the community.

About the translation issue, I've never loaded a shared patch that sounded good for my FW, i always viewed the preset exchange as more of a surgical table for me to dissect presets I really like and to learn new stuff, sort of like a JTR of the preset exchange lol

Hmm... excellent! Thank you very much, Birdy. Funny you mentioned the tone match. Tonight will be my first time using it. I’m trying to get the Engl Savage 120 tone that Exodus uses on Exhibit B “the human condition
About the translation issue, I've never loaded a shared patch that sounded good for my FW, i always viewed the preset exchange as more of a surgical table for me to dissect presets I really like and to learn new stuff, sort of like a JTR of the preset exchange lol

Hey Billbill,

I have to agree with you on that. The whole was always that the patch would come out the same, but there’s so many factors. Your observation and method are a good one.

Back
Top Bottom