MFC Port 'Doohickeys' - [Edit] Kudos to Fractal Support

Toopy14

Axe-Master
Does anyone know what those two little burnt out doohickeys are on the board, connected to the MFC port...are they inductors?

upload_2018-6-14_16-49-26.jpeg

Seems I remember some having a short of such doohickeys when a USB cable end was inadvertently put into an Ethernet port. Someone let the magic smoke out of those.

Seems I remember some having a short of such doohickeys when a USB cable end was inadvertently put into an Ethernet port. Someone let the magic smoke out of those.

The bonehead of the day award goes to....me!

Damn, I unplugged everything so I could take my Axe-Fx out of the rack to have a look at the fan size. I ordered a Noctua fan which will be here tomorrow, so in the meantime, I plugged my guitar into the correct spot, the headphones into the correct spot, but I connected the USB cable into the MFC port and now my doohickeys look like the ones in the pic. above. :(

2C860EB4-3B3D-4F5F-8EFC-A46BEF88D8F6.jpeg

Sorry to see a couple of fried components. They appear to be surface mount resistors. I would think you'll most likely need to send your axefx in for repair.

Sorry to see a couple of fried components. They appear to be surface mount resistors. I would think you'll most likely need to send your axefx in for repair.

They’re marked L71 to L78, which is why I assumed they were inductors. Could very well be resistors though, but if you look at the bottom right area of the pic., the surface mount resistors are labelled RXXX.

If I knew the specs., I could order some and replace them. I’ve successfully replaced surface mount resistors of the same size on the circuit board of the overhead console in my truck.

Last edited:
I just want to add to the loooooong list of praises for the support people at Fractal Audio.

I submitted a support ticket for this issue (USB in MFC port) last night. I received an email early this morning from Charlie, to give him a call this morning. I gave Charlie a call and he personally answered the phone...no automated response with dozens of menu items to drill down through, no elevator music, no queue, etc., like you would get when calling most companies for support.

Charlie said he completely understood how expensive it is to send the Axe-Fx in for repair from Canada. He spent about 20 minutes on the phone with me and explained what happened, what to check and what to look for. He then walked me through the repair, once he felt comfortable that I had the experience to do the repair myself. He also said if I had any questions, not to hesitate to give him a call.

You really can't get any better service than that!!!

Thanks Charlie. :)

Back
Top Bottom