Axe-Fx II MK-I: Fan Size

Toopy14

Axe-Master
Looking to upgrade to a quieter fan. Would anyone know the specs. of the existing fan or even the model number for a Noctua fan that would fit?

Thanks

60 or 80 * 15mm fans are used. The first units had 60mm. Easy to measure.
MK2, XL and XL+ all used 80 mm

60 or 80 * 15mm fans are used. The first units had 60mm. Easy to measure.
MK2, XL and XL+ all used 80 mm

I have an MK-I, so I presume it will be a 60 * 15 mm fan.

Any recommendations based on experience?

I put a Fractal brand in mine believe it or not lol, not sure of the model... get the most air flow you can get while being quiet.

I have a Mark I and bought a B-stock lid they had laying around with an 80mm fan on it. If you call up Fractal they may still have one lying around.

It’s a 60mm, but if your handy with a dremel and some JB Weld you can cut off the fan post from the lid and “glue” 4 bolts spaced for an 80mm fan to the lid, essentially giving you a new lid that fits the 80mm fan

Might be able to get a whole new lid too, but that would cost a bit more

Some MK1 are 60, some are 80mm so you have to measure to be sure.
For 60mm I would recommend this one. Revoltec airguard - 60x60x20mm
For 80mm this one SILENX IXTREMA PRO 80 X 15 MM - 11 DBA

I have an MK-I, so I presume it will be a 60 * 15 mm fan.

Any recommendations based on experience?

You can check visually wich fan you have. Look at the top lid and find the bolts that holds the fan. If they line up with the lid it is an 80mm, if the dont, it is a 60mm.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, the one it had sounded like a vacuum cleaner turned on inside.

Great. Just ordered one from Amazon and paid a few extra bucks to have it by tomorrow so I can put the Axe-Fx back in the rack.

Does it come with mounts and all it's own hardware?

Great. Just ordered one from Amazon and paid a few extra bucks to have it by tomorrow so I can put the Axe-Fx back in the rack.

Does it come with mounts and all it's own hardware?

You need to rig your own mounting system - the screws as you probably already saw - are part of the lid - there's an old thread on this.
I myself used rubber bands to hold the fan to the screws so that the vibrations would be isolated from the top plate. There's enough force to hold it in place but don't know what would happen if the Axe-Fx 2 was banged up

The Noctua fan I ordered late yesterday, arrived this morning from Amazon. I just had a quick second to compare the noise level of the original fan and the Noctua, and even on the default setting, ie. the highest speed (3,000 RPM), the Noctua is much quieter than the stock fan. The difference is immediately obvious.

I haven't had a chance to try one of the adapter cables to lower the speed to 2,400 RPM or 1,600 RPM, but I'm guessing that on a lower speed, I won't even hear the fan when the Axe-Fx is back in my rack. I believe someone mentioned that Cliff said the minimum requirement for the air movement, was 14 CFM. So if 14 CFM is the minimum requirement, looks like 2,400 RPM is the minimum speed.

Here are the fan specs;

@ 3,000 RPM -> Airflow = 29.2 m³/h or 17.19 CFM @ 19.3 dB(A).
@ 2,400 RPM -> Airflow = 23.5 m³/h or 13.83 CFM @ 14.5 dB(A).
@ 1,600 RPM -> Airflow = 16.7 m³/h or 9.83 CFM @ 8.2 dB(A).

For those Axe-Fx II, MK-I owner's who are considering swapping out the fan, I highly recommend you do so.

Last edited:
I ran my MKI with the slower speed setting for years without a problem. I think the fan moved a bit more air than the stock one, so even though it was slower, and this quieter, i didn’t get any differences in heat gun readings, with the fast setting actually cooling more than stock. Since I was after reduced noise, not more cooling, I felt safe running slower

Came up with a simple, inexpensive solution, to secure the fan...snap rings. In the third picture, I'm picking up the lid by the fan with only 2 snap rings installed. Don't think it will be going anywhere.

upload_2018-6-16_9-16-21.jpeg

upload_2018-6-16_9-16-41.jpeg

upload_2018-6-16_9-17-55.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom