Wish Digital I/O on the grid

hippietim

Axe-Master
It sure would be nice to have things like my Eventide Eclipse integrated digitally. The converters in the III are great but it'd be nicer if I could keep stuff like that in the digital domain.

Ideally it'd be In/Out Dig like In/Out Usb but mapping In/Out 2/3/4 to digital would work as well.

It sure would be nice to have things like my Eventide Eclipse integrated digitally. The converters in the III are great but it'd be nicer if I could keep stuff like that in the digital domain.

Ideally it'd be In/Out Dig like In/Out Usb but mapping In/Out 2/3/4 to digital would work as well.
+1000

You already have SPDIF AES OUT SOURCE : OUTPUT 2, so it's the input that remains and then you could use I/O pair #2 as a digital insert.

The challenge seems to me that INPUT 1 SOURCE includes ANALOG, USB, SPDIF/AES, so you couldn't have a separate SPDIF/AES IN SOURCE parameter like you have for SPDIF/AES OUT SOURCE.

I guess all you would need for a digital insert is INPUT 2 SOURCE : ANALOG, SPDIF/AES. Not that it would pose a musical or rig design problem, but I'm not sure that both Input 1 and Input 2 could share signal from the digital source is both were set to SPDIF/AES, and you'd have no way to prevent this, so maybe it's a special challenge. Beyond me for sure.

You already have SPDIF AES OUT SOURCE : OUTPUT 2, so it's the input that remains and then you could use I/O pair #2 as a digital insert.

The challenge seems to me that INPUT 1 SOURCE includes ANALOG, USB, SPDIF/AES, so you couldn't have a separate SPDIF/AES IN SOURCE parameter like you have for SPDIF/AES OUT SOURCE.

I guess all you would need for a digital insert is INPUT 2 SOURCE : ANALOG, SPDIF/AES. Not that it would pose a musical or rig design problem, but I'm not sure that both Input 1 and Input 2 could share signal from the digital source is both were set to SPDIF/AES, and you'd have no way to prevent this, so maybe it's a special challenge. Beyond me for sure.

Exactly! In case you can do it, please consider extending the SPDIF options for input/outputs 3 and 4 too. They would be perfect for that matter and we can still have outputs 1 and 2 available for monitor and FOH.

Is the above routing you suggest easier to implement in a firmware update, or might it be easier to just create an AES/SPDF FX block in the grid with all the routing possibilities that implies?

Last edited:

I and others have been suggesting this for the 2 since last year. For me, it would save conversation steps/latency, eliminate cables and my 1u Ashly line mixer and give greater flexibility creating presets in the external units because I wouldn't have to use the external units fully wet all the time because of latency...

But it would be noticiiby less than going outside the box and coming back in analogue, right? Then the question becomes how much latency would there still be in digital domain, and is it enough to cause phasing effects such that one must use an external device full wet to avoid it?

+1000

If the Axe III can not handle both input 1 and input 2 to be set as AES, then maybe it would be possible to add a feature where input 2 (or 3 or 4) could be AES - if - input 1 was set to analog ?
That way we can still go in from the guitar and put an AES device in "the loop" that is I/O 2 (or 3 or 4), that would still be a good feature to include.

Thanks

I actually decided to sell my Eclipse. But if someone is curious I could try it out using input 1 and output 2 for the digital loop.

+1 for a IN digital block.
I would like to be able to use all 4 inputs analog + AES/spdif all at once. It is currently not possible since right now we have to assign the AES/Spdif in to replace one of the analog IN.

Back
Top Bottom