Axe-Fx III and Headphones

Yes, my set of MoFis stopped taking a charge. They were under warranty, and I have a replacement now.

Well, I guess I'm talking to myself now…:( Anyway, if anyone is still interested, I'm drinking the "Blue" Kool-aid again. The Lola really caught my attention. I mentioned them to my guy at Guitar Center (who sold me the Presonis monitors) and his eyes lit up. He said "The MoFi is an amazing headphone!"

So there's the MoFi, the Lola, Senn HD569, and Senn HD380.

Question about the Mofi, Any issues with the battery wearing out prematurely? Can it be changed, and what kind of charger does it use.

Earphones were overwhelming for me... literally. Buy a cheap pair from walmart first and return it if you don't prefer the feel. I become physically disorientated , and sick....zone out. The stereo, effects creates a vertigo. Feels like I'm tripping.

Interesting. If you didn't know already, the Massdrop HD6xx are supposed to be slightly modified HD650's at a significant discount. If you can wait a couple months for them.

Yeah I heard about it, and just checked it out. It says "Drop inactive," what does that mean? Also said they won't be available until the end of August, is that right?

Anybody buy anything from Massdrop?

Earphones were overwhelming for me... literally. Buy a cheap pair from walmart first and return it if you don't prefer the feel. I become physically disorientated , and sick....zone out. The stereo, effects creates a vertigo. Feels like I'm tripping.

It's ok I've had several. I love the stereo imaging, especially tremolo panning and ping pong delays. The beginning of Judas Priest's "Fever" has right / left pan with a chorus effect (on a clean channel) that sounds awesome with cans ;). If you haven't heard check it out, but if you get vertigo with cans you might wanna use your monitors!

Have you tried open backs?

^Might be a good idea BaronVonGrim^ ;)

Last edited:
Well,

I know a lot more about headphones now, thanks guys. :) Problem; the more you know, the more you realize you don't know… ;)

Yes, my set of MoFis stopped taking a charge. They were under warranty, and I have a replacement now.

Thanks for the info pima1234. How long did they last before they went dead? and how long was the warranty? Thanks

Warranty was 2 years and the repair was needed not long before it ran out.

I look at it this way, Blue has since replaced the MoFi with other headphone lines.

And, it makes sense to me that a good set of cans with a good headphone amp should do the trick.

Well,

I know a lot more about headphones now, thanks guys. :) Problem; the more you know, the more you realize you don't know… ;)

Thanks for the info pima1234. How long did they last before they went dead? and how long was the warranty? Thanks

No, never heard of them...

Open backs are kinda like open back guitar cabinets, vs closed like a 412. It's a more open sound and you can hear everything (sounds in the room) around you unlike closed back where they are like what construction workers where. Open might be great if you get vertigo from feeling boxed in.

So I've had a chance to sample my new Blue Mix Fi's a few times. Boy am I glad I got something amplified, the output on my laptop is pretty low.

They sound very detailed, the highs aren't harsh and somewhat laid back. Mids are warm and distorted guitars sound great, no buzziness. Lows have thump but aren't muddy or boomy. I like them a lot, and they seem very well made and durable. If I think of more thing to say I'll ad to this post.

Now I'm searching for some powered open back cans, the quest to be continued...

Any Ideas? :D

Looking for some open back phones to compliment my Blue Mix Fi's, Do you have any suggestions? Trying to stay under $350.

Thanks

Uhhh, edit: Make that $200. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well did some research and powered open backs are outta the question, so I was looking at these below. I know the HD 598 was mentioned b4 in this thread, I was wondering if anyone has compared them to the HD 599's. I read the 598's have a bigger "soundstage" and would be similar to sitting middle 10th row at a concert, whereas the 599's would be as if you're in the middle of the stage. Sound about right?

Senn 599- https://www.ebay.com/itm/302763994089?ViewItem=&item=302763994089

Senn 598- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser...181083?hash=item1a527ea49b:g:rn8AAOSw9RdbDeI2

Shure 1840- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-SRH18...056790?hash=item3b0726d896:g:H0gAAOSwtJFaulT-

ATH AD1000X- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Tech...544712&hash=item36339c028d:g:VzUAAOSw-tFbFXJe

BD DT990- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynam...594408&hash=item2cd5af484b:g:nv0AAOSwkgZbG~Cw

Not crazy about the exposed wires on the Beyers, nor the attached cable, but if they stay under $80 well.... The Shure's and ATH's are a little outta my price range, but I may be talked into them. ;)

Looking back I shoulda bought the HD598's when they were $80. :oops:

Last edited:
AKG K7XX are my open back preference. I find the bass response for presets I've dialed in on them translates well to my Xitone. I only have to remember to hold back a bit on the low end when working with the K7XXs -- no other part of the frequency spectrum needs careful attention.

Here's the Head-Fi review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/akg-k7xx.20409/reviews?page=2#review-13116 -- everything you want in ope back cans IMHO.

They are harder to drive, bu the Axe-Fx III can drive them with ease. One of my first remarks when I got my beta unit oh so many months ago was how well the headphone preamp on the III could drive these cans. For comparison, the Saffire Pro 14 I have struggles to drive them. I'll find myself running the headphone volume on the Saffire well past the 50% mark on the dial to get normal listening volume in the K7XXs.

They are *very* open though. A bit like strapping small speakers to your head. People around you will hear what you're hearing, though softened.

AKG K7XX are my open back preference. I find the bass response for presets I've dialed in on them translates well to my Xitone. I only have to remember to hold back a bit on the low end when working with the K7XXs -- no other part of the frequency spectrum needs careful attention.

Thanks iaresee! Ian. :D
Geez I've been reading about these all day except for lunch and dinner breaks... They look like some great sounding cans for the money, do you have the Red or the Black ones? I get the impression you feel like the bass is a little overemphasized? Did you see the bass mod you can do to increase bass response?

I got a lead on a set on eBay open box deal for about $60 off. Still want to finish the reviews you sent me b4 I pull the trigger (thanks much btw, lots of great info, now I know what Stax means) ;).

Hopefully I'll make a decision tomorrow, these are such a great deal it's going to be hard to pass up!

Thanks iaresee! Ian. :D
Geez I've been reading about these all day except for lunch and dinner breaks... They look like some great sounding cans for the money, do you have the Red or the Black ones? I get the impression you feel like the bass is a little overemphasized? Did you see the bass mod you can do to increase bass response?
I have the black set. The red didn't exist when I bought my pair. The red look super cool.

Bass on all headphones is generally hyped because you've got a short bit of distance for lower frequencies to travel between the driver and the side of your head. So most headphones emphasize the bass. Plus, the kids like the bass. The K7xxs are much better than other headphones I've used. The hype isn't as severe.

I would not mod them.

Ok thanks. Now to pull the trigger... Uhhhh, maybe after lunch, my laptop's running really slow! Could be cuz I have 25 tabs open, nahh, I closed Youtube ;).

edit: Forgot to ask about their durability; do they seem fragile? I mean, I can go skiing with them right...?

I have the black set. The red didn't exist when I bought my pair. The red look super cool.

…and the quest… is over! Bought the AKG K7xx's, in red. Thanks for the recommendation iaresee! :) Also read a lot of good articles, including the one you posted. Lastly I read this one after I made the purchase;

The K7XX are rated a 62 ohm headphone. 62 ohms aren’t usually enough to warrant a powerfulamplifier, and most definitely doesn’t need one by any means. HOWEVER, akg’s K7 family are the quite opposite of that; they usually need quite a bit of power (and a good sounding amp, obviously) to sound good, more than the 300 ohm HD600’s from my understanding. I’ve tried the K7XX with a few low-mid tier amplifiers, and it friggin’ changes every time. Imagine how hard it is for me to do a review sound-wise when the EQ changes with every amp I own/have owned.

So if you think you can get away with this headphone without an amp, don’t. It absolutely needs one, I cannot stress this more. I’ve heard reviews saying that almost any good amp will do, and, to my understanding, that’s not entirely correct. Let me show you what I mean:

Nuforce Udac-2 dac/amp: Sounded pretty good for the first pairing, albeit not so “full” sounding. Vocals sounded awful, it was like the K7XX was a recording quality nazi.

Fiio E18: Colored, and awful sounding. On top of that, I always needed to push the volume up a little more, or else it sounded teeny. You know if you have to push the volume up that the headphone is not getting enough juice…

Schiit Magni 2 Uber: More than plenty of power, maybe almost a bit too much. Overall sound in the mids is too abrasive to my ears, and when the bass hits, it hurts my ears. Low gain was better, but still didn’t sound too great. Overall detail, clarity, etc. of the highs, mids, lows were slightly better than with the (next) Fiio E12.

Fiio E12: Finally, a good sounding pairing. The E12 is on the lower side of amps, though, so keep in mind that it will sound a bit more “warm” or “wet” than higher-end amps. Not colored in any way though, so that’s a plus.

Aune B1: For a standalone amplifier, the B1 sounds absolutely fantastic with the K7XX - smooth, very musical, and a real pleasure to listen to. Better than with the Fiio E12,, in my opinion, but both sound great, so don't "feel bad" if you don't have the money to buy the B1.

Heir Audio Rendition 1 Amplifier: A big name for a decent amplifier; while a mid-tier amp, and really great with all lower impedance headphones I’ve tried (Bang & Olufsen H6, KRK KNS8400), I’m basically getting a smaller version of the problem that the Fiio E18 had. I’m not feeling that the Rendition 1 is giving a full sound, although it’s possible that’s coming from the fact a just left a quite warm amplifier for a colder one. I hear all the details and clarity a mid-tier amp should, still, it leaves the K7XX underpowered. It becomes a little fatiguing as well.

CEntrance DACport Slim: This is the pairing that you should get if you're on a budget. The Slim is a DAC/amp all in one, and is quite small too. It was actually made with the K7XX in mind, so it's no wonder they work really great together. This pairing will get a good 90% (just to throw out a number) of what you'll hear from this headphone, and it's a beautifully sounding pair. I highly recommendthis pairing - especially since as DAC/amp's go, $100 is really not asking for much, much less for a powerful, good sounding piece of equipment.

Grace/Massdrop m9XX: I don't think anyone who has some vague form of a budget will actually be buying the m9XX, but I'd like to say that the K7XX scales very, very well with higher-end equipment such as the m9XX. In fact, with this DAC/amp (m9XX), it sounds like something double its actual cost - knocking out the HD600 and HD650, in my opinion.

…So, what you can hopefully take from this is that the K7XX, to me, can get quite picky. It may be why my vocal collection is getting different impressions from me as I move along. The CEntrance DACport Slim is the best budget-oriented choice to pair the K7XX with, but the Magni 2 is definitely not. Keep in mind you must have an amp to make the ‘phones sound their potential, and that these will scale wonderfully with higher tier amps. Basically, when moving up, you’ll really only need to replace the amp and/or source player, not the K7XX; the mark of a truly good headphone.

Ok I just realized it's the same one iaresee posted :rolleyes:. Still, it says I REALLY need an amp with these, well at least with my laptop, so itty bitty amp shopping I go. Anyone tried the CEntrance DACport Slim, or the Aune B1? The quest continues……………………...

If you're interested in the rest of the reviews, see them here:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/akg-k7xx.20409/reviews?page=2#review-13116

Also posted a few posts up. ^^^

Back
Top Bottom