AustinBuddy possible Bass Presets for the Axe-Fx III - what do you want to see?

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hey amigos:

Putting together a 1000+ Naked Amps Tonepack for Axe III. Like to expand some bass preset/rig options included in it.

If enough interest is shown and information given and enough variety of bass tones comes out of this thread, maybe will do a Bass Player TonePack for Axe8, Axe-Fx and Axe III too.

This thread can be an informal poll of what you bass players would like to see in those presets.

Name pedals, effects, bass players, amps and cabs, rig layouts, genres to include -- whatever you think.

Probably a live Rig(s) and a Studio recording chain preset too (combines DI + Amp). I personally just own a G&L that does the Fender P-Bass thing well and a Hofner Beatle bass, but want to make sure the Fender Jazz bass and modern active pickup basses get covered.

I'd like to create at least 5-10 Bass player "rigs" that can cover a lot musical genres -- and hope to solicit and get help from some great bass players who live in Austin to use their ears to help dial the final mile with me at my "Electric Buddyland" studio.

Let me know what you want to see in this? Thanks!

Last edited:
Some of my favorite bass players and sounds are:

Chris Squire - Yes
John Entwhistle - The Who
John Wetton - King Crimson
Tony Levin - King Crimson
Greg Lake - ELP
John Paul Jones - Led Zeppelin
Paul McCartney - The Beatles
Jack Bruce - Cream

I'd also add Billy Sheehan and Dug Pinick to the list too ....

Other than that, it's more the sounds from some of the popular songs .... Like the bass sound from Queensryche's Empire .... That sound is killer ( IMHO ) !

Definitely Jack Bruce, John Entwistle, John Paul Jones and of course Geddy and Paul McCartney...though I'm also partial to Justin Chancellor's tones (generally a full range bi-amp, one clean RB800, one dirty and I think a Direct In to the desk, so three signal paths), but yeah, re-working that SVT would help - on the wish list, but if you can do some good Motown bass tones, that capture the essence of the B-15 warmth and roundness? I think it would be much appreciated by more than me.

Really would be nice to see an Aguilar DB680 Preamp, maybe you could "create" one as it's basically a pre PEQ 5 tubes and another PEQ post gain.

Agree with all the classic players that have already been listed, but would add Geezer Butler from Black Sabbath. And a random , kinda odd request. The bass tone for Testament's song Practice What You Preach. Also David J from Bauhaus and Love and Rockets.

BASS PRESET.

So here is a basic Bruce Bauer- style Bass preset for recording I whipped up; learned this approach from LA producer Bobby Oswinski (who is awesome BTW)

The principle here is a a DI signal and an amp signal, but each Compressed and EQ's slightly differently, then blended (using Mixer block/scenes).

On a console/in a DAW, this would be the same as having both signals from one bass coming in one two channels, then blending at the board with the faders to get the bass to sit right in the mix. The Amp sound is the bottom end, the DI adds the top end.

I simulated a Neve preamp on the DI by using a neutral cab but engaging the mic preamp.

Feedback is welcome, especially from bass players. I don't think it's perfect (yet) and I think the compression needs works (usually on amy Apollo I'd have an LA-2A emulation on the Amp signal and a dbx 160 emulation on the DI signal, and maybe an SSL buss compressor.

Attachments

• Brauer Bass - Recording.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 105
Some bass tones I've always liked from the heavier end of the spectrum:

Refused (mesa big block 750 and powerhouse cab) anything off of shape of punk to come has good examples
Russian Circles (verellen meatsmoke into a custom 8x10) anything before 2016
Snot (svt and a marshall jackhammer?) Joy ride intro
JPJ in Them Crooked Vultures (gk gmt 600b) mind eraser no chaser
Long shot but some Royal Blood patches would be kick-ass. Fender Super Bassman + Bassman 810, plus a Fender Supersonic 22 and a pile of pogs and shifters. I've yet to find a good Super Bassman tone on the XL+. Anything on the first album

Yeah, Royal Blood would be great, but is the pitch shifter in the AXE able to do what the POG does?

One can dream right? :) On the XL+, I did a mono-to-poly pitch setup but it was limited to only two notes, not three or more. It did ok but wasn't a perfect clone of RB.

Split signal, shift one up two octaves, then shift up 5th plus octave to get a guitar power chord from your bass, then into drive/amp section.

Edit: I was just learning Axe at the time so I couldn't really dial in the tones well enough, but it *did* work... one plucked bass note gave me four notes: the bass note thru bass amp, and a guitar root+5th+octave thru guitar amp. Tracking was fast enough that I was able to do that spazzy outro part on Loose Change.

Last edited:
I know we keyed in on the Royal Blood pitchy shifty stuff, but I don't want to dismiss the fact that the core of his bass tone is the Super Bassman. I own an actual Super Bassman and a Verellen Meatsmoke (basically a heavily tweaked bassman) and I've been having a hell of a time replicating them on the Axe. I think if we could get a solid Super Bassman Vintage Channel patch and a Super Bassman Modern Channel patch, we'd have a ton more options on the Axe for grittier bass tones. They don't sound like SVTs or anything else I've found on the Axe. The SB just simply sounds different than the Mesa, SVT, and Orange amp models on the XL+. I did a number of tone matches trying to get the Meatsmoke drive sound as well and I just couldn't nail it down. I still use the XL+ for my gigging bass rig, and all conveniences and additional features are great but I'd love if I could have my 137lb meatsmoke and SB tones working well in it.

If Cliff is listening: a 300W Verellen Meatsmoke. Please for the love of god/science/shiva, take a look at it. I'll lend you mine if you're willing to pay for shipping. :) As an added bonus, it's commonly used for guitar as well as a lot of metal players prefer it's gain section and drive sounds over the Verellen guitar equiv, the Skyhammer. Russian Circles use the meatsmoke for both guitar and bass.

Back
Top Bottom