Flight Case Measurement Question

I have a hardshell flight case for the axe II unit which measures 21 inches wide by241/2 inches tall by 5 inches. Will that fit as a carryon to fit in the overhead bin? I dont want to have to check this item. I know there is a soft case available but would prefer using the hard shell case. Thanks for any help

I have a hardshell flight case for the axe II unit which measures 21 inches wide by241/2 inches tall by 5 inches. Will that fit as a carryon to fit in the overhead bin? I dont want to have to check this item. I know there is a soft case available but would prefer using the hard shell case. Thanks for any help
Best to check the airline guidelines for limits.

I checked Southwest carry on measurements.They are 10 x 16 x 24 inches. I know that I have seen people bring other items aboard that are bigger. Does everybody check their axe unit with their other luggage. If so do you use extra foam insulation to help with protecting it from being thrown around by the baggage handlers?

the main issue with shock mount cases is that they weigh so much empty
bung in the axe and power amp and your costs will rise
so either:
- use a regular flight case [and occasionally expect to take the lid off the axe to reseat motherboard cables shaken loose] <-- I do this
- shock rack but expect to add more to your overweight charges

all this varies between airlines and is also dependent upon where you're flying to..
be wary that if you change flights, the rules may be different in each flight even if it's all via the same airline because you may be switching from a big plane to a small one

my main rig flying weight is 80kg
double flight case for my V's = 30kg
8U rack with 2 axe and a power amp = 30kg
flight case for mfc, 4 xp's, cables, toothbrush and spare sock = 20kg

some promoters get really stroppy about this.. so I have a smaller rig
double flight case for my V's = 30kg
4U rack with 1 axe and a power amp = 20kg
flight case for mfc, 4 xp's, cables, toothbrush and spare sock = 20kg
total is 70kg, but when you're nailed per kilo over, every little bit helps
with this rig, cos I only have the one axe, first job when I arrive at the hotel [before executing the "3 S's" subroutine] is to pop the lid on the axe and check the cables between the front panel and the motherboard.. then connect up to mfc / xp's, power up, jack in a pair of cans and make sure everything is behaving.. then pack it all back away ready to head off to sound check.. then, safe in the knowledge that my lil' world is ok I can happily execute the "3 S's" subroutine.. lol..

Is your rack case a gator case or other?
My shock rack case is designed to be thrown on a plane... it is very lightweight. axefx with matrix gt1000fx on board and panel connections < 23kg... its by CPCases... its called a SATRACK and is custom made to order. BBC use them for their gear when "running" to a warzone or whatever... admittedly, my peli case with my footcontroller and radio transmitters etc... is about 30kg

My shock rack case is designed to be thrown on a plane... it is very lightweight. axefx with matrix gt1000fx on board and panel connections < 23kg... its by CPCases... its called a SATRACK and is custom made to order. BBC use them for their gear when "running" to a warzone or whatever... admittedly, my peli case with my footcontroller and radio transmitters etc... is about 30kg
the last time I looked at a shock rack it was almost 20kg empty
genuinely interested... what does yours weight empty?

the last time I looked at a shock rack it was almost 20kg empty
genuinely interested... what does yours weight empty?
The traditional SatRack customer base is news-gathering organizations who need to quickly set up satellite links ("SATrack") in remote locations. From their website:

SatRack 4U x 19” chassis depth weighs only 18lbs allowing 52 lbs of equipment to stay inside the limit. It also meets the dimensional requirement.

Bet it ain't cheap, though. ;)

They are kinda a POA deal... because there are a number of options and each is built to order. Mine came in at around £700 IIRC
So tempting. But I think it'll be a while before I can talk myself into it. :)

The traditional SatRack customer base is news-gathering organizations who need to quickly set up satellite links ("SATrack") in remote locations. From their website:

Bet it ain't cheap, though. ;)

wow that's amazingly light compared to what I saw when I was looking

Depends on type of airplane and company policy for handbags. In smaller planes it won't fit in the overhead compartment; then you must negociate to have your bag laid of et plane entry and pick it up when leaving the plane or have it stowed somewhere in the back for short-haul flights.

Back
Top Bottom