Best Small Battery-Powered Practice Amp

gigawatt

Experienced
Is it still the little Roland Cube or has something better come along? Would like it to be versatile. Wish the little Marshall DSL was battery powered... :D

I have the guitar and bass version of the Roland Micro Cube. Our bass player and I recently plugged in on battery power for a little jam and were, once again, highly impressed with the quality and range of tones. I like the Fender and Vox models. The Jazz Chorus is also pretty convincing.

I also have the Roland BA330 battery powered PA which is another home run for Roland. I ran the phones out of the Cube to the BA330 - it was battery- powered-busker heaven

The Micro Cubes are under $100 used - it’s kind of a no brainer.

I’ve ordered a Boss Katana Air that fits the bill, has built in wireless and sounds awesome in the demos I’ve seen so far. Hopefully it’s as good in real life!

I have both the Yamaha THR10 Classic, and the Boss Katana mini, like them both but my go-to seems to be Katana.

The THR10 has some nice effects and the Katana Mini only has a delay, like @Johan Allard the Katana Air has peaked my interest.

Sidenote: while away last year I sat in with a band using my Katana Mini we stuck it in a corner with a 57 in front of it and I just rode the volume on my Strat for clean-ish/dirty sounds. Sounded alright fit in nicely with everything else.

I also have the Roland BA330 battery powered PA which is another home run for Roland. I ran the phones out of the Cube to the BA330 - it was battery- powered-busker heaven

The Micro Cubes are under $100 used - it’s kind of a no brainer.

Yeah but it's gotta be hard hauling around that car battery :eek:. ;)

I’ve ordered a Boss Katana Air that fits the bill, has built in wireless and sounds awesome in the demos I’ve seen so far. Hopefully it’s as good in real life!

Will check that out, what do you mean by wireless? Guess I'll find out ;).

I hear lots of good things about the Yamaha THR10...
I have the classic and it's great.

I'm not familiar, I'll be sure and look into that too :).

Thanks much for all the ideas guys! :D

I have both the Yamaha THR10 Classic, and the Boss Katana mini, like them both but my go-to seems to be Katana.

The THR10 has some nice effects and the Katana Mini only has a delay, like @Johan Allard the Katana Air has peaked my interest.

Thanks for the input 6L6C. 6l6c, who's Johan Allard? and is the Katana air battery powered?

Thanks again!

I have a little black star fly 3 I think it’s called. Does Bluetooth as well. Has delay and two channels. Sounds decent.

I have a little black star fly 3 I think it’s called. Does Bluetooth as well. Has delay and two channels. Sounds decent.

That I have heard of, two channels? really? I did not know that. How versatile is it?

Are there any stereo models? I thought I saw one somewhere...

Thanks for the input 6L6C. 6l6c, who's Johan Allard? and is the Katana air battery powered?

Thanks again!
Johan Allard is the 4th poster down on this thread.

According to the site the Katana Air is battery powered if you choose, I'm not in a hurry but do have interst in it.
For one thing is does have some nice sounding effects, but so does the Yamaha THR10 but unlike the Yamaha editing can be done with bluetooth the Yamaha have to break out the laptop.

That I have heard of, two channels? really? I did not know that. How versatile is it?

Are there any stereo models? I thought I saw one somewhere...

It's a good travel little practice amp. I use it backstage sometimes if we have a decent green room and time to warm up.

What about Bluetooth speakers with line-in? They are supposed to last for a while on decent volume and supposed to be "FRFR" in some respect, right?? :D

Still checking these out, I like metal and shred, as well as some ACDC, Def Leppard, Metallica, Megadeth, etc. Marshall / Mesa tones as well as violin like gain. :mad::D

Any others I should be looking at?

Last edited:
Ok the Katana Air and the THR10 are more than I wan to spend on a battery powered amp, they seem very nice though and thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaning towards a used Roland Micro Cube, or is it Mini? Idk. Still looking and if you know of anything else in that price range. The Vox Amplugs won't fit a couple of my guitars and the Blackstar I still have to look into.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom