Thoughts on a rack case please!

I want to get a new rack case cos mine is a little bit broken. I own an axe fx 2 xl and currently use a gator case 4u 19 in deep I believe. I have cab that's maybe 12 in deep and so the rack case almost looks disproportional. Any thoughts on the shallow 4u 14.25 by gator? Will that just be too small for the axe fx 2?

I want to get a new rack case cos mine is a little bit broken. I own an axe fx 2 xl and currently use a gator case 4u 19 in deep I believe. I have cab that's maybe 12 in deep and so the rack case almost looks disproportional. Any thoughts on the shallow 4u 14.25 by gator? Will that just be too small for the axe fx 2?
Get a tape measure and measure your Axe Fx then compare to inside dimensions of the rack you want (normally listed in the specs).

I don't think you'd be able to get the lids on... But it might work.

Also, which specific case, because they have a couple variants that are Roto molded or not.

I had the 12" deep 2 Space OSP ATA Rack Case and it fit the XL+ I had perfect. The back of the AxeFx stuck out a little bit, but not more than the inside of the covers. As long as you don't need to keep cables connected it will work for you.

OSP Rack Case

Everything I found was way too deep for the cab I had it on.

I use the short Gator case. It’s 13 inches deep with the front and back covers removed. The Axe FX II fits with the covers in place, and there’s even space to coil a few cables too.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...vD_BwE&kwid=39474984916x42814104161x151905500

"Stackable shallow rack case fits equipment up to 14-1/4"." I just bought the 6 space version, Axe III would have to be 3U, (BTW Musician's Friend was the best deal I could find without going used). It's a nice case, some peeps have complained about it like; the latches being smaller and weaker than that of SKB, (I don't find that to be the case). Or that the handles have come loose, (they must be throwing it on a train). My friend has had an Ultra, an amp, and a power conditioner in the 4U for 10 years with no issues. Hope that helps :).

Oh, one last thing: Unlike SKB cases, the Gator has no rubber feet, so it can slide around. I'd recommend getting some stick on rubber feet from Home Depot, there cheep. Pick one and buy extras. ;);) ...especially if you're going to use it on top of a 412 cab. :oops:

Last edited:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...vD_BwE&kwid=39474984916x42814104161x151905500

"Stackable shallow rack case fits equipment up to 14-1/4"." I just bought the 6 space version, Axe III would have to be 3U, (BTW Musician's Friend was the best deal I could find without going used). It's a nice case, some peeps have complained about it like; the latches being smaller and weaker than that of SKB, (I don't find that to be the case). Or that the handles have come loose, (they must be throwing it on a train). My friend has had an Ultra, an amp, and a power conditioner in the 4U for 10 years with no issues. Hope that helps :).

Oh, one last thing: Unlike SKB cases, the Gator has no rubber feet, so it can slide around. I'd recommend getting some stick on rubber feet from Home Depot, there cheep. Pick one and buy extras. ;);)
I bought the 6 space for housing my Axe Fx III. Pretty solid rack... No problems so far with lids, latches or slipping.

It does stink though... Very much petroleum based materia!.

One thing I don't really like is that the rack rails are not threaded, nor do they have holes big enough for the clip on nuts. There is a thin, metal strip that is threaded that goes behind each rail. However, you can use both front and back.

There is a thin, metal strip that is threaded that goes behind each rail. However, you can use both front and back.

Just to clarify, it's not that thin, I'd say it's just under 1/8", and I doubt you could strip it. I actually like it and think it's a good idea, until you take all the screws out and it falls to the ground. :oops: The spring clips to me were a pain in the ass on the SKB cases, I had four of them and always seemed to be short a clip when I needed one. :mad:

Oh and thankfully, mine doesn't stink. o_O

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom